** Official Investment Banking Spring Week 2017 Thread **

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    WOOH! Applied to GS and CS early, and did the numerical test a few days ago. CS contacted me to schedule an interview already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDmcDeeezeNuts)
    WOOH! Applied to GS and CS early, and did the numerical test a few days ago. CS contacted me to schedule an interview already!
    Oh wow you're early. How did you find the tests? Were they similar for both? Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladiatorsword)
    Oh wow you're early. How did you find the tests? Were they similar for both? Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah they're not too difficult. I managed to finish with 9 minutes left, but I think I got stuck on the last question for a good while. Good luck with your apps!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDmcDeeezeNuts)
    Yeah they're not too difficult. I managed to finish with 9 minutes left, but I think I got stuck on the last question for a good while. Good luck with your apps!!!
    Was the email asking for tests automatic?
    I have been flagged as a duplicate account because I had an account with them fro last year's application round, so I'm not receiving anything :/ I've emailed them to see if they can solve it - hoping for the best.

ReputationRep:
    Woah that's early, I'm going to wait until I start university to apply because I want the careers advice and things they provide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganja_Saurus)
    Woah that's early, I'm going to wait until I start university to apply because I want the careers advice and things they provide
    Some of us are at a 4 year course that's why we applied already (we're starting second year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    How exceptional do you have to be? Is it in terms of the extra curriculars you do or academics?
    participation in sw, recommendations, likeability

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RWiz)
    Must be in terms of EC's. Academic excellence is 16-17 year old PhD students, not the average Joe Doe with perfect grades in high school and the first year of uni studying easy business degrees, haha. There's thousand of such.
    It depends how you define 'excellence' I guess.

I think defining it as 16-17 year old PhD students is a bit extreme.

If you're at Oxbridge/LSE/ICL then you're probably in the top 1-5% of academic achievers in the country. That's excellent in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    It depends how you define 'excellence' I guess.

I think defining it as 16-17 year old PhD students is a bit extreme.

If you're at Oxbridge/LSE/ICL then you're probably in the top 1-5% of academic achievers in the country. That's excellent in my opinion.
    I'd say excellence in terms of both academia and extra curricula

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When do applications open?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gman786)
    When do applications open?
    I believe a significant number of apps have opened

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladiatorsword)
    I believe a significant number of apps have opened

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which?

ReputationRep:
    If you're from Oxbridge, LSE, ICL, UCL apparently that's the Big 5 or something like that, then you are in a target university so I think those are academic excellence, but it honestly doesn't matter because you have to stand out from the crowd so in order to do that you must do extra curricular things or any internships or past work experience would help for your chosen programme

ReputationRep:
    If you're from Oxbridge, LSE, ICL, UCL apparently that's the Big 5 or something like that, then you are in a target university so I think those are academic excellence, but it honestly doesn't matter because you have to stand out from the crowd so in order to do that you must do extra curricular things or any internships or past work experience would help for your chosen programme
    big 6* warwick is in there.

And this whole convo about academic excellence is a bit useless imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Academic excellence is pretty irrelevant here. Someone on a AAB course at a target is hardly more academically excellent than someone on an A*A*A course at a semi but it's being at a target that matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    big 6* warwick is in there.

And this whole convo about academic excellence is a bit useless imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True. As long as your at a target uni its hard to differentiate between candidates who do well, as, most will do - if its data science or economics at warwick, is irrelevant. I'm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sikhanddestroy)
    I was worried about the degree. Just seems like everyone doing into IB has a quantitative degree. So is it not preferred to humanities or is it just a matter of university (the better the university, the less degree matters)
    Dw, seen people with languages and fine art in one example. Just be conscience of learning about the sector

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    Academic excellence is pretty irrelevant here. Someone on a AAB course at a target is hardly more academically excellent than someone on an A*A*A course at a semi but it's being at a target that matters.
    No it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President J)
    No it doesn't.
    What "doesn't"?

ReputationRep:
    What else are you guys gonna apply to? Other than Investment Banks

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.