Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Stephen Fry - abuse victims should "grow up" - opinions? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There's so much outrage by people who have completely missed the point.

ReputationRep:
    Fry has apologised now so I've just lost a lot of respect I had for him. Giving SJWs this victory will make things worse now they feel justified.

ReputationRep:
    He's so pompous and annoying. He has too many sycophants worshipping everything he says and does, and he believes his wisdom is irrefutable. This is just arrogant and sickening from someone who claims he is all about high mindedness. Why doesn't he pick on people being self-pitying about not very much, Instead of child abuse, which is such a life wrecking thing for people, and how would he know if he hadn't experienced it? When it's about him and bipolar everyone has to worship him and he acts so heroic for dealing with it, and seems to think he deserves adoration...these people have had wretched lives, some of them how dare he.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    how would he know if he hadn't experienced it?
    He has.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2007/03/28...exual-assault/

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't change my view. Can't stand the guy. So inflated and devoid of humility.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Perhaps I would have chosen different words but based upon the context, I would agree.

We must move past our life's experiences and not use things which may have occurred to stifle the rights - such as free speech - of others.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...ims-to-grow-up

“It distresses me greatly to think that I have upset anyone in the course of the TV interview I had with David Rubin the other week.“I of course apologise unreservedly for hurting feelings the way I did. That was never my purpose.”He added: “There are few experiences more terrible, traumatic and horrifying than rape and abuse and if I gave the impression that I belittled those crimes and the effects they have on their victims then I am so, so sorry.“It seems I must have utterly failed to get across what I was actually trying to say and instead offended and upset people who didn’t deserve to be offended or upset.”

So he apologised. We can all go home now.

(Original post by Jebedee)
    Fry has apologised now so I've just lost a lot of respect I had for him. Giving SJWs this victory will make things worse now they feel justified.
    He has only apologised about his comments on child rape victims, which were uncalled for and unnecessary with the point he was trying to make about the so called "regressive left". regardless whether or not you agree with him if you think it is fine to say things like that then you are a bit of a spud.

ReputationRep:
    How can you take something so far out of context?

Did you watch the video where this is from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    But really you saying that he could have worded it better so as not to "offend" basically makes one if his points for him. We live in an infantilized world were being offended is a massive issue and should trump free speech and his right to have and voice and opinion. People seem to think now that they have a "right" to not be offended, why do you think this is?
    I don;t think it does.

He is free to say it but then I am free to say that I think what he said about child rape victims was in bad taste. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences and so on, that includes how people react to what you say. I think he could have made his point about the "regressive left" without saying what he did what child rape victims, I don't think it was necessary and it would appear Fry would agree after he has apologised (or hes just doing PR).

Obviously I don;t agree with anyone saying that media should be screened from people saying what Fry said in case it upsets someone. But I also don't think when someone like Fry stands on a large platform and says something he should be free from criticism.

ReputationRep:
    mope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I don;t think it does.

He is free to say it but then I am free to say that I think what he said about child rape victims was in bad taste. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences and so on, that includes how people react to what you say. I think he could have made his point about the "regressive left" without saying what he did what child rape victims, I don't think it was necessary and it would appear Fry would agree after he has apologised (or hes just doing PR).

Obviously I don;t agree with anyone saying that media should be screened from people saying what Fry said in case it upsets someone. But I also don't think when someone like Fry stands on a large platform and says something he should be free from criticism.
    I never said nor implied I thought he should be free from criticism.

But some of the reactions people have given do prove one of his points of the whole outrage culture and people calling for others to be silenced or censored.

ReputationRep:

He has only apologised about his comments on child rape victims, which were uncalled for and unnecessary with the point he was trying to make about the so called "regressive left". regardless whether or not you agree with him if you think it is fine to say things like that then you are a bit of a spud.
    As I'm not an opponent on freedom of speech I fully support him, he was asked his opinion and he gave it. You are not obligated to like it and neither is he obligated to say something you like.

ReputationRep:
    As I'm not an opponent on freedom of speech I fully support him, he was asked his opinion and he gave it. You are not obligated to like it and neither is he obligated to say something you like.
    Yeah and I can say he is a insensitive hypocrite that didn't need to say something so tasteless. He is a bit of a knob. We shouldn't be expected to pussy foot around any old crap he decides to pass off as wisdom.

I don't think he should have said it.

That's me exercising my right to free speech. Don't like it? Lump it.

ReputationRep:
    You are entitled to that opinion, regardless of how moronic it shows that you are. You have my word I won't lynch you on twitter, harass you at your place of study/work, or accuse you of rape because I disagree.

Freedom of speech is a great thing isn't it? Let's keep it.
    You however are not entitled to call me moronic on this website. That violates the terms conditions you singed up when you joined. Reported for offensive language.

The TSR police are racing to the scene as we speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heartweaver)
    I can see his point that free speech shouldn't be shut down, but there's a caveat. Free speech isn't a ticket to talk whatever s**t you want, just because you're allowed to. By all means, state your opinion, but be tactful and don't be a jerk.
    It is, actually. However, free speech does not give you the right to be right in what you said. Other people are allowed to disagree with you (shock horror!), and some people will not want to be associated with you over something you have said (who do they think they are!). Ironically, the most vociferous "free speech" champions tend to complain about other people's rights to react to what has been said.

You are right about the second part: IMO things that are said purely to offend (e.g. racist or sexist insults) do not qualify as "opinions" and should not be treated as such. Statements like "**** off you black ****" or "get back in the kitchen" are not "opinions". (They are usually attempts to shut down other people's free speech.) It is quite possible to separate insult from opinion and you would expect an educated person to be able to do so. I think SF is just a bit full of himself and a wee bit attention-seeking TBH.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and I can say he is a insensitive hypocrite that didn't need to say something so tasteless. He is a bit of a knob. We shouldn't be expected to pussy foot around any old crap he decides to pass off as wisdom.

Never thought I'd see the day that I agreed with you on something, with the caveat that while i don't think he should have said it, I absolutely believe he should have been free to say it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    while i don't think he should have said it, I absolutely believe he should have been free to say it.
    That's pretty much what I am trying to say.

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty much what I am trying to say.
    I mean, that's what I thought you were getting at but I thought I'd be explicit.

ReputationRep:

I agree but fro once he's right.

If you are triggered by titus andronicus, then you are a pussy, and should stop immediately and re-evaluate your life.

Space space culture is actually dangerous to victims; you get over this stuff through exposure.

ReputationRep:
    Whether what he said was 'right' or 'wrong' is irrelevant. That is subjective.
    What is certain is that one should be able to say anything they like without being silenced or misinterpreted. Fry was indeed misinterpreted by the press (no shock there). If you've seen the video, you would know that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.