Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    Not for long with all these immigrants from intolerant countries coming in.
    Are you talking about the refugees, who make up less than 2% of the populations of those countries? They are not even intolerant; even if they were, they are such as mall number that they would have zero effect on intolerance overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multiculturalism)
    Are you talking about the refugees, who make up less than 2% of the populations of those countries? They are not even intolerant; even if they were, they are such as mall number that they would have zero effect on intolerance overall.
    Most of these countries already had immigrants. Those taking up large numbers like Sweden and Germany, if they continue this, then yes there will be a significant proportion. Then consider birth rates, they are much higher for this group of people.

ReputationRep:
    Most of these countries already had immigrants. Those taking up large numbers like Sweden and Germany, if they continue this, then yes there will be a significant proportion. Then consider birth rates, they are much higher for this group of people.
    Have you got a problem with that?

ReputationRep:
    What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    What do you think?
    It sounds like you do.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you do.
    Correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Again, I would argue it doesn't. It depends on what one means when they use 'offence'.

Yes because this is the 21st Century and we live in democracies. You can't just do and say what you please. If you want that, go the **** back to preschool.

What are you even talking about?
    Your right. We live in Democracies and if it wasn't for free, unbridled, in your face free speech, those democracies would, Im sure, not exis

When speech is directed at you and you react by being offended instead of countering that speech with a convincing counter argument then your not mature enough to live in a free society.

ReputationRep:
    the most tolerant countries will be a mixture between western/northern europe, north america and australia/NZ
    the least tolerant countries will be the muslim countries in the middle east and north/central africa.

ReputationRep:
    Any sane person should have problem with that. Look at employment rates, level of education, birth rate, criminal records and origin of majority of terrorists. Immigration from Middle East and Africa will create significant economical problem, as well as it will largely increase number of crimes.
    and recent immigration crisis is already an infrastructural problem.

Moreover this nations have no democratic traditions and never went through something like European reformation. Combine this with low level of education and it turns out, that they are completely incompatible with modern European societies.
    I'm not against multiculturalism, I'm aware of the fact that in my country people of different origins and religions; catholics, orthodox, protestants, jews and muslims lived together peacefully for hundreds of years, but they were a compatible society! Each nation in my country had similar level of skills and knowledge, each knew at least one common language (Polish or Latin), and most of them had interest in living peacfully and building the country because they had to run away from their countries of origin and in the same time, any agression or lack of respect for a new homeland, back then would quikly result in being excluded or chopped with sabres by neighbours displeased with being forced to change something by newcomers.

Those nowadays immigrants from Middle East often do not understand and respect secular state and idea of tolerance, they often do not have proper education, they often even don't know languages and experience shows that children of muslim immigrants are vulnerbale to radical Islam.

ReputationRep:
    Tolerant?

USA, Canada, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France, All of Scandinavia (and Iceland), Czech Republic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTMalewski)
    Those nowadays immigrants from Middle East often do not understand and respect secular state and idea of tolerance, they often do not have proper education, they often even don't know languages and experience shows that children of muslim immigrants are vulnerbale to radical Islam.
    LOL the EU referendum shows that Brits are prone to radical Nationalism.

ReputationRep:
    Britain is a very tolerant country. I don't think the referendum shows otherwise. Sure the racists would prob of voted leave but many decent people did to.

ReputationRep:
    The eu referendum shows that 48% are intolerant to others opinions.

ReputationRep:
    The referendum shows nothing particular- there are plenty of reasons behind this result.

I can't imagine British people being prone to radical nationalism. I think that you should read some books written by early XXth century nationalists, or even better, treaties against toleration from XVIth and XVIIth century. Or just study John Locke's works- he refers to this kind of thinking very often. I read quite a lot about this, and forgive, me, but I believe that lots of Middle Easterners and Africans are exactly people from different era.

Well, here you have some fine example
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpvgEHzh6js

You can't compare British people to that kind o people. Even the most radical Brits, I bet that they are against killing anybody for opinions, which places them hundreds of years ahead from eg. John Calvin and this Turks.

ReputationRep:
    The one where you're from. 😋

ReputationRep:
    None

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    The eu referendum shows that 48% are intolerant to others opinions.
    52%, actually.

ReputationRep:
    52%, actually.
    It seems like the 48% are the ones out on the street demanding that the government ignore the majority who disagree with them, that seems tolerant.

It also isn't the 52% who have demanded that the poor and old don't get to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    All 3 of them places arrest people for saying their thoughts when they disagree with with certain groups seems tolerant.
    Yea they have no real free speech. Really, I think America is the most free western country. It is easy to seem tolerant when you get arrested for not being so. America allows people to be themselves, whether that's tolerant or not. I think that makes them better than us. If I were a gay, I'd rather people just told me what they thought of me - instead of faking niceness because of 'hate' speech laws. A case in point, if you get my 'liberal' workmates drunk a bit - it's not too long before words like 'fаgs' start getting tossed around left right and center. So really it's all a veil. If we had free speech like in America it would be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cipi)
    Yea they have no real free speech. Really, I think America is the most free western country. It is easy to seem tolerant when you get arrested for not being so. America allows people to be themselves, whether that's tolerant or not. I think that makes them better than us. If I were a gay, I'd rather people just told me what they thought of me - instead of faking niceness because of 'hate' speech laws. A case in point, if you get my 'liberal' workmates drunk a bit - it's not too long before words like 'fаgs' start getting tossed around left right and center. So really it's all a veil. If we had free speech like in America it would be better.
    In America they will sue you for anything you say

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.