Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A 'fact' from your subject Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    You may be able to tell by the fact I linked a video of him, cited his one in a million genetic code work and just referenced CUTs but my final year project supervisor was Prof Laurence Hurst.

He's also done some fascinating stuff on the sex chromosomes. For example did you know the Y chromosome has been steadily haemorrhaging genes over time to the point where it was maybe going to become redundant on its previous trajectory, but now it has about 100 genes left on it and it looks like it's here to stay.

He also wrote an awesome paper called Sex and the X, about the X chromosome.

Are you a biochemist. ? What stage of study?

I was a biochemist turned evolutionary biologist - got offered a PhD with above supervisor as well straight from undergrad but turned it down because wasn't set that academia was the life for me. I occasionally have pangs of regret though.
    I'm afraid I'm only a pretend biochemist - just doing it as part of a medical degree (it's worth about 1/3 of year 1), so only dipping my toes in (although I could quite happily do a degree in it). Evolutionary biology is very interesting to me though, considering doing it for an intercalated year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamioe123)
    I am nearly 100% certain this isn't true...
    That's great, do you have any material or reason to think that?

The only place I can currently see potential error is my definition of drowning - it's a bit debated, but seems to have been narrowed to 'Drowning is the process of experiencing respiratory impairment from submersion/immersion in liquid' - if going by this, then in freshwater your cause of death is the cardiac fibrillation, not the simultaneous respiratory impairment.

ReputationRep:
    Mitochnodria is the powerhouse of the cell.

ReputationRep:
    hitler was a bad guy
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    the pill can lead to diabetes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Drop one.

Can be a subject you study or one you're interested in.

You're telling a layperson so make it understandable/interesting if poss
    Oh this is interesting.

Mechanical Engineering

A typical machine.

There are many types of Gears with spur gears being the most common for regular machines.
    Automobiles use helical gears ( this means that the Gears are helical in shape and are out of phase with each other in order to mesh.

Back to spur gears... there are made of mild steel because it's the cheapest metal and so the Gears can be replaced easily (financially). The driver gear is usually the smaller gear and it's called the pinion. The larger gear is just called "the gear" (weird, I know).

For systems with more than 2 gears are called gear trains. We have epicyclic an arrangement sometimes called the planetary arrangement in which the centre gear is called the sun, another one is the annulus and the ones on the outer ring are the called the planets.

Coaxial gears is another gear train with more than one gear on the shaft. These are typically used in gearboxes. As you know, gearboxes are what's used to change speeds. I don't really want to get into the equations but the ratio of number of teeth on the pinion to the number of teeth on the gear is equal to the ratio of the angular velocity of the gear to the angular velocity of the pinion. A similar relationship can also be made by using the pitch diameters.
    These gear ratios are what allows speeds to be manipulated.

Hope you didn't find all of this too boring. Sorry if there are grammar errors.

ReputationRep:
    Physics - In beta minus decay, a neutron decays into a proton, electron, and antineutrino. In beta plus decay, a proton becomes a neutron, positron and neutrino.

Biology - Adenine and thymine form two hydrogen bonds, while cytosine and guanine form three.

Chemistry - A general group of 'things', for example molecules, atoms, ions etc., is called a species.

Maths - Everywhere in the world apart from the UK, an imaginary number denoted with the letter i. In the UK, we use the letter j, which doesn't really make sense.

Art - Blue is a recessive colour. Degas and Monet were pals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)
    Mitochnodria is the powerhouse of the cell.
    This is my favourite thing because everyone always says it, but if you write it in an exam you get zero marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustJusty)
    This is my favourite thing because everyone always says it, but if you write it in an exam you get zero marks.
    Literally this.

What does it even mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Literally this.What does it even mean?
    Here's one for you to use next time:

How much does energy cost?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    80p

ReputationRep:
    Article 8 ECHR can be combined with other Convention rights to strength the former (see: Ghaidan).

Riveting stuff, I know; such is Land Law.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing on a computer can be deleted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbanlocations)
    Tell that to my web history.

ReputationRep:
    Maths - Everywhere in the world apart from the UK, an imaginary number denoted with the letter i. In the UK, we use the letter j, which doesn't really make sense.
    In the UK, we usually use i as well. j is only used rarely. For example in electricity and magnetism j is sometimes used, supposedly to avoid confusion with current(current is usually capitalised, so I fail to see where the confusion would come from).

America sometimes uses j: for example in Python j is used(I'm pretty sure Python was primarily developed in the USA).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbanlocations)
    Care to explain how if you overwrite a file you get the storage space back?

How do you recover files off a hard drive that's been destroyed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Star Light)
    If you 'drown' in freshwater, you're not really drowning - the hypotonic water enters your pulmonary capillaries and enters red blood cells by osmosis, causing them to split and release potassium and sodium ions. These raise the blood levels of the ions, causing hyperkalaemic cardiac arrhythmia, so you die of cardiac arrest - drowning means dying from the asphyxiation, i.e., lack of oxygen.

If you drown in saltwater, you are legit drowning.
    The physical act of drowning does not actually kill you as you correctly stated. However it's outcome can kill you in three manners, Oxygen deprivation, Water inhalation or Cold water immersion.

Water inhalation can cause you to die from cardiac in both fresh and salt water. However in fresh water it happens much faster, around two minutes. In salt water due to the sald content Osmosis removes water from the blood in the lungs which thickens the blood which eventually will also cause cardiac arrest, albeit around 4-5x longer than in fresh water.

Weirdly enough Oxygen Deprivation (aka dying from a lack of oxygen) eventually kills you via cardiac arrest, however you generally would require to be unconscious for a period similar, if not slightly longer than the above cases.

TLDR version, drowning in of itself does not kill you.

ReputationRep:
    Memorizing facts does not indicate learning.

Education/Psychology Degree

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics is actually an Art subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Tell that to my web history.
    Okay let me just go to the hard drive in which it will be still stored from maybe years ago?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Care to explain how if you overwrite a file you get the storage space back?

How do you recover files off a hard drive that's been destroyed?
    Experts can still retrieve data. In fact Top Gear did a show a few years ago in which they water damaged, hit the hard drive, set it on fire. Basically anything to destroy it... If I remember correctly an expert could still retrieve 90 percent of the data.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.