Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

mean things you were told when you decided you wanted to go to uni Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawliettt)
    She got AAAB. But she's given up on getting an A* in physics already. I think she wants an A

I got an offer from Manchester too although it was for engineering so it was only AAB. I can't imagine aiming for A*A*A in my A2s lol.
    Yeah that's mad, way too high lmao, I struggled to get C's at AS but have put a hell of a lot more work in this year and am hoping for A's and B's. It's all doable Have you firmed manchester or is it your second choice, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattismad)
    Yeah that's mad, way too high lmao, I struggled to get C's at AS but have put a hell of a lot more work in this year and am hoping for A's and B's. It's all doable Have you firmed manchester or is it your second choice, if you don't mind me asking?
    Firmed. I think like 5 people from my sixth form firmed it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain-A)
    Go for it! You'll get there!
    Thanks for the support!

ReputationRep:
    None of my family ever expected me to go to uni but they are thankfully quite supportive now that I am going but it was never my plan since the school careers advisor told me I couldn't pursue a science based career (at the time I wanted to be a vet) based on my grades, which is weird since my grades were fine, they weren't amazing but I was achieving mostly Cs and Bs in all the Important subjects... But a few years later after wasting my time in college half assing a bunch of Art A levels, I decided that I do want to go to uni and study something animal related (after botching my GCSEs after giving up on school, veterinary science was a little out of reach for me so I'm pursuing Zoology instead). I'm currently on an Access to HE course and even now, at 21 years old, teachers are still questioning me about whether or not I should go to uni... It turns out that I'm terrible at chemistry and I'm really struggling and my chemistry teacher always says " if you can't do this then I don't know how in the world you'll ever be able to go to uni" which is so disheartening... It's not like I'm failing, I'm averaging a pass and have hit the occasional merit in his class and I'm also not the only one who is struggling yet he still picks on just me... Ughhh

My confidence boost was that I got offers from all of my uni choices with very doable offers (though I'm re applying again next year due to unforeseen circumstances) but I am every bit as determined now as I was pre career interview back in school all those years ago!

ReputationRep:
    At my school, multiple teachers wouldn't let me pick my A Level courses because they thought I didn't achieve well in my GCSE's i.e their predicted grades for me were very low.

However I passed with A's and B's so I was allowed to take them

I told one of my teachers that I wanted to do Radiography at university and she told me I have no chance because of her predicted grades for me. She would always ask me "What grades do you need for that again?" as if to rub it in my face that it wasn't achievable for me.

Throughout my academic life i've pretty much always have had teachers discourage me from what I want to do but I am in a process of proving them wrong just now

When I told my careers advisor that I wanted to go to university to study Radiography, she would always point me towards college courses or even job offerings (that anyone can get) - as if to say that me going to university will never happen. She had that tone to her as well. I knew what she was trying to say, I just wish she would've been more open about it.

Some of my relatives told me that I shouldn't set "unachieveable" goals - and that I should pick an easier university course or even stick to college.

Despite all these people discouraging me from doing what I want to do in life because they think I'm downright stupid, I'm on a mission to prove them wrong

ReputationRep:
    Interesting thread.

My turn. So, I am self-motivated about my uni-choice and until now, when I'm ending my last year at uni, my parents still don't know what I'm studying.

But there's one thing that really stuck to me, when I made my decision to study at university whilst still studying GCSE's at the age of 17 (I come to UK at the age of 16, did one year english course, then started everything from the beginning, i.e. GCSE bridging course, GCSE's and then L3 BTEC)

So at the age of 17, when I told my best friend my desire to study at university, and that I still have to do 3 years, just to get in, which leads to a total amount of 7 years with university completion, I was given instead of a mean remark, a rather very honest but at the same time, simply brutal response by my friend - "whoa bro, it's 7 years, it's not worth it". To many people, this would be so demotivating, because when you actually realise it is a very long journey. But to me... this ignited a desire to reach my goal even more.

And now towards the end of my degree, I can say this was the best decision in my life, which allowed me to understand one important thing, that I am simply... competent.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Oxford (and got rejected - but I'm trying again this year!) and while everybody at school were wonderful, my parents weren't. For example, when I told my dad I had an interview he said "uh, I suppose you have to go if you're pretending to get in..." Felt good.

ReputationRep:
    Varied reactions from family. Good reactions from the older grandchildren, like ''That is well cool, Nanny.''
    Mixed reactions from my 7 kids. ''What do you want to do that for?'' ''Put your feet up, mum".

ReputationRep:
    My teacher sed id never do anythin but im going 2 london met for Agricultural Design.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    My teacher sed id never do anythin but im going 2 london met for Agricultural Design.
    kek

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.