The Student Room Group

Would you feel safer being treated by a white doctor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mojo Banjo
And if so why?

Your question is more to do with white supremacy than anything else you are initiating debate on are whites smarter than everyone else, stop beating round the bush.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h333
I said that you can tell with hijabs if they are Muslim or not.

Oh my ****ing god what now seriously
Yes but you keep goin on about it and said I "called" her Muslim, What else is she in a hijab that I can "call" her?
You also said "most" times ppl wearing hijabs are Muslims
what other times?
^that is a rhetorical ques I really don't want you to make up any other common religion where someone would be in a hijab
Reply 142
Original post by 0to100
Oh my ****ing god what now seriously
Yes but you keep goin on about it and said I "called" her Muslim, What else is she in a hijab that I can "call" her?
You also said "most" times ppl wearing hijabs are Muslims
what other times?
^that is a rhetorical ques I really don't want you to make up any other common religion where someone would be in a hijab

"Although, yes with female muslims it can be easily identified most times if they wear a hijab."

I think you did not understand my sentence above. i will rephrase: with female Muslims you can tell more easily only if they are wearing a hijab, but otherwise can not always jump to conclusions.

Ok this is pointless. And I have not called you a racist etc as I do not want to jump to conclusions.

By all means I did not even say you feeling more comfortable with white doctors is a bad thing or was completely wrong...only wrong if it is for racist reasons.
As you have said you did not so that it is fine and all well. :smile:
Reply 143
Original post by Mojo Banjo
And if so why?

At first I thought it doesnt matter.. but the truth is I'd see a doctor who knows how to do theri job properly for example... I had some doctor who used to ask us what happend and give us medicine.. but the new doctor we got is more engaging with us clearly stating the symptoms and giving us other ways in which we could improve our health etc..
But at the end of the day Race of a person should not leave you with prejudicial ideas
Nope, they all come out of medical school, passing the same tests, meeting the same level of standards and getting the same degree. Dont try and hide your prejudice, you're essentially saying 'whites are cleverer'
Wrong again, you are presuming that there even is quota filling, which isnt the case. There is NO quota filling, doctors get 100% employment and there is no pressure. As well as this, there is no way of telling which doctor is better than the other when they all get employed.
That pretty much sums you up here, wrong.
Original post by Multiculturalism
politicalcompass.org/test

I got Left Libertarian, interesting quiz :smile:
couldn't care less as long as they know what they're doing and aren't creepy, I hate creepy doctors:s-smilie:
The NHS is short-staffed as it is, nearly all Medical graduates get jobs, White or not. Stop making unsupported claims.
Original post by Kiniun
Tbh, I'd feel more comfortable around a doctor that looked like me or had similar features relatable to me e.g. Ethnic backgorund/Fairly young/Female etc
In general, I think people feel more at ease when they are around people that look like them

I don't know what you're talking about because I NEVER think about the race of a professional who is helping me. Clearly not all people are like you and others on this thread.
Yea I get having preferences but at the end of the day we can't keep choosing as there's not enough ppl to go around to suit all our needs. I do wanna be there for the front row seat if someone refuses to get a certain dr though. I've literally never seen that before.
To be perfectly honest I'm sure there'd be some leve of unconcious bias towards people who look familiar or have simmilar characteristics to people I know. For me most people I know are white. Other factors like sex and age are a far bigger influence, but i'm sure race comes into it a little bit. I'm aware of prefering female doctors and there is one doctor I know who reminds me of my aunt so makes me feel a bit more comfortable. My aunt is white and and if the doctor wasn't she probably wouldn't remind me of my aunt so I guess in some way that means I am bias towards he because she is white, but only because of it's other implications.

Once you've dealt with a doctor a few times though that unconcious bias isn't so relevant cos you're judging them from your experiences with them. So many doctors I felt less comfortable with turned out to be ones I seek out for appointments now.

On a logical level I don't give a damn about what my doctor looks like as long as they know what they're doing and have good bedside manner. They could have a tail and horns for all I care. On a level of subconcious comfort though since I and most of the people I know are white there is probably some ammount of preference to white doctors.
Given a choice between a white male and a black female though I expect I would feel more comfortable with the female.

Quick Reply

Latest