Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comus)
    Execpt you haven't shown that STEM are superior in every aspect, you've attempted - not all that convincingly - to show that STEM subjects are superior in eight aspects. What criteria are you using for assessment? Why choose those criteria? What is your reasoning for excluding any other criterion that one could care to think of?
    The criteria is career prospects, intelligence and required thinking ability, maximum capability, salary and overall usefulness. What other criteria can you think of in a practical sense that wouldnt subjectify this topic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    You memorise the methods, right? Without the methods, how would you solve the problem? You can't use 'creativity' to solve a maths problem.
    This is a joke isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STEMisSuperior.)
    Funnily enough i got an offer from LSE. And UCL too.

Of course if i accepted either of those you wouldnt have said all this anyway. Warwick is also a target uni and its maths department is far better than that of LSE and UCL and so i chose that instead. I look beyond the name of the uni, unlike you.

I wasnt doing it for my 'masculinity', simply to state my point. Perhaps people like you doing a management degree may feel threatened, but thats not my concern.
    I'm transferring to BSc Econ my dearest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lecafe88)
    Fair game, as LSE does not offer any straight mathematics courses, but didn't you choose Economics at the end?

Well to be honest part of my bias is that any university outside the four I mentioned are unheard of in my home country. Then the stem/non stem selection comes in to differentiate candidates within these four universities.

Guess if you're staying in England, it doesn't matter anyway as I'm sure Warwick is good enough of a name locally. I don't know about how people do things here with regards to university perception.
    I applied for pure maths for others but applied for business mathematics and statistics at LSE. I ended up changing to Maths and Economics at Warwick and accepted it.

International rep does matter, thats why rejecting UCL was tough. But LSE is my insurance (weird ik but the offer is lower). Im not looking to move abroad so that didnt matter for me. Here, the top unis are Oxbridge, imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick for finance at least. They're the 'targets' and warwick has one of the biggest finance societies in the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lecafe88)
    I'm transferring to BSc Econ my dearest
    They let you? well done on that

ReputationRep:
    Have you even read my original post?
    I have. You have contradicted yourself at leat 3 times (just from your replies to me, not generally).

I have, nonetheless, gotten my answer, which is that an immature person is trying to validate his choices and endorse his self-imagined superiority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    I have. You have contradicted yourself at leat 3 times (just from your replies to me, not generally).

I have, nonetheless, gotten my answer, which is that an immature person is trying to validate his choices and endorse his self-imagined superiority.
    I reply to your posts and showed you why you're wrong. You then choose to make unsupported claims (where have i contradicted myself?, I did always say law required logic and reasoning)

I have concluded you're just butthurt.

ReputationRep:
    They let you? well done on that
    I have to make up for the maths units I missed in my first year to forego an outside option in the 2nd year, but there's no quota for transferring into BSc Econ in LSE 2nd year. Almost all first years take the same stuff except the LLBs and the other near 0 quantitative subjects.

ReputationRep:
    The criteria is career prospects, intelligence and required thinking ability, maximum capability, salary and overall usefulness. What other criteria can you think of in a practical sense that wouldnt subjectify this topic?
    I see. Can you justify ascribing value to those criteria in way that isn't subjective?

ReputationRep:
    I reply to your posts and showed you why you're wrong. You then choose to make unsupported claims (where have i contradicted myself?, I did always say law required logic and reasoning)

I have concluded you're just butthurt.
    Where did you show me I'm wrong? I asked you two questions and you evaded both.

You said Law is mostly 'regurgitating' with some logic and reasoning, and so it is still far inferior to STEM subjects. But it's not about law, it's about all other subjects - what makes you think literary interpretation does not require logic and reasoning?

Exactly - you don't because you've never done the subjects per at a high level.

As such, the claims are not unsupported and, as such, I knee-jerk reactions are expected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comus)
    I see. Can you justify ascribing value to those criteria in way that isn't subjective?
    Because there are plenty of facts that support what i have said. Some i have posted on this thread already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comus)
    This.

OP, you think you're being objective, but you're not. Everything you have said in this thread is your own opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *stefan*)
    i have. You have contradicted yourself at leat 3 times (just from your replies to me, not generally).

thank you

ReputationRep:
    Where did you show me I'm wrong? I asked you two questions and you evaded both.

You said Law is mostly 'regurgitating' with some logic and reasoning, and so it is still far inferior to STEM subjects. But it's not about law, it's about all other subjects - what makes you think literary interpretation does not require logic and reasoning?

Exactly - you don't because you've never done the subjects per at a high level.

As such, the claims are not unsupported and, as such, I knee-jerk reactions are expected.
    Ok now you're just putting words in my mouth. Read all my posts where i spoke about law, you will find i said otherwise.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You are so incredibly insecure OP. I'm not even bothering addressing most of your points as the logic behind them is BS to start with.

Why is it that some STEM students on TSR are by FAR the ones with the greatest chip on their shoulders and severe superiority complexes? My god, there are CEOs with History degrees with greater earning potential than most STEM students will have in their lives.

Learn to be more respectful and not boast about nonsense like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because there are plenty of facts that support what i have said.
    Let's suppose that it is objectively true that STEM graduates have better "career prospects, [higher] intelligence and required thinking ability, maximum capability, salary and overall usefulness", why should it follow that these criteria are objectively important?

ReputationRep:
    Ok now you're just putting words in my mouth. Read all my posts where i spoke about law, you will find i said otherwise.
    Law is mostly memorising and learning things by heart but certain aspects like some game theory (prisoners dilemma etc) require skills that are more logical. So you definitely need to be intelligent to do Law and isnt on the same level as something like Sociology.
    Notice the comparative there. Let alone the fact that you're talking about Sociology as if you've experienced the subject at a higher level.

Done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comus)
    Let's suppose that it is objectively true that STEM graduates have better "career prospects, [higher] intelligence and required thinking ability, maximum capability, salary and overall usefulness", why should it follow that these criteria are objectively important?
    Can you suggest criteria that is better? And im talking about criteria that you can objectify to a fair extent.

ReputationRep:
    Notice the comparative there. Let alone the fact that you're talking about Sociology as if you've experienced the subject at a higher level.

Done.
    Yes, skills more logical than that of other non stem degrees. Your point?

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what your people skills are like, OP.

Also, it would not be wise to assume you are going to walk into a job just because you have a degree from a good uni.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.