Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I do not care how individuals feel

That irrelevant, they feel that way no matter whether or not you care.

an individual's feeling cannot be justification to create, or accept, a new gender to accommodate the individual. If individuals are adamant they are not male, or female, those individuals should not be entitled to acceptance of their self-declared gender, nor should the government protect their newly-made up gender. It is not possible to stop individuals from having a belief, but it is possible to stop outrageous beliefs, that go against all scientific evidence, being accepted, legitimised, and validated by pressure groups who stand up for false minorities.
    Exactly my stance though id say that its impossible to stop any belief no matter how absurd. If someone holds a belief there isnt much that can be done about it, such is the nature of belief, it requiress faith.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Should we give schizophreniacs legal recognition for the voices in their heads?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No Jammy, we should not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Transgender folks generally dress and look very much like the gender as which they identify. You probably would not have recognised one as such. As for your implication that transgender people might take the opportunity to molest children in whatever loo they're allowed into - why would someone who wanted to molest children let a symbol on the bathroom door stop them in the first place? Transgenders aren't more likely to be child molesters than any other group of the population, and we wouldn't be giving child molesters any opportunity they didn't already have.
    Are you implying that most transgender actually look like the sex they've changed to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Transgender folks generally dress and look very much like the gender as which they identify. You probably would not have recognised one as such.
    Are you serious? Give me 100 well-lit frontal images of Caucasian trannies and normal people in any ratio and I pretty much guarantee I'll correctly identify 100% of them. I'd even give you a tenner if I failed to get above 95%. (Photoshop and heavy make-up aren't allowed.)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Give me 100 well-lit frontal images of Caucasian trannies and normal people in any ratio and I pretty much guarantee I'll correctly identify 100% of them. I'd even give you a tenner if I failed to get above 95%. (Photoshop and heavy make-up aren't allowed.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katty3)
    That's never happened. There are 0 instances of transgender women sexually assaulting other women in the toilet.

I wouldn't feel uncomfortable going to the same public toilets as a transgender woman, regardless of her appearance. I also wouldn't feel uncomfortable sharing a changing room with a transgender woman. Or my girl guiding groups. Or any other women only space.

Radical ideas, I know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No instances? At all? Are you one hundred percent positive or do you just want to be denial of cases of transgender males assaulting women in the women's restroom? Ok. Of course a man who identifies as a woman when caught in the women's bathroom means is he incapable of doing any harm to a woman in the women's bathroom therefore there are no records of it. Silly me.

I know that I'm not a representative of the entire female population since you are also a female who has diff opinions but what about the females who don't want to share the restroom with an obvious man with a beard, jeans, and t-shirt and a possibly a camera? Do their opinions not count? I don't care what those men identity as but I do not appreciate transgender males forcing themselves on women who want little to do with them in the bathroom, and women's spaces only. Did you hear about the boy who wanted to change in the girl's locker room and over 100 girls walked out as a protest against it? Did you think the parents, teachers, and girls protesting against that one boy using it was wrong or do you think the boy should've had his way despite majority of the people were against it? Minority trumps majority?

http://www.people.com/article/transg...girls-restroom

http://therightscoop.com/150-student...s-locker-room/

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/09/0...tude/21230181/

I live in the US, and I'm afraid female and male restrooms may become forced into unisex restrooms since there is a little drama going on with the transgender bathroom business.

I apologize for my long sentences.

ReputationRep:
    i mean, we already have "other". I don't see the point.

Yes, trans is a thing (they're brains are demonstrably different) but that doesn't mean you can open the door to whatever batshit crazy "identity" people want imo.

ReputationRep:
    Like someone said before, it's a problem with definitions. So, let's get some stuff straight:

Pretty much all dictionaries I could find online had the same general definition:
    "The state of being male or female."
    Sex
    Here's from the Oxford dictionary (I'll be using it for all further definitions). It's pretty much the same as gender, but applies to pretty much every living thing.
    "Either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and most other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions."
    Nice, now we can move on to male and female.

Male/female
    This one is the Oxford definition of male. Also remember this doesn't just apply to humans, but all animals.
    "Of or denoting the sex that produces gametes, especially spermatozoa, with which a female may be fertilized or inseminated to produce offspring."
    And now female:
    "Of or denoting the sex that can bear offspring or produce eggs, distinguished biologically by the production of gametes (ova) which can be fertilized by male gametes."
    Now the problem with gender identity is, you just can't become not male or not female. If you were born with a penis - you're a male. If you were born with a vagina - you're female. You just cannot argue with that fact. (Unless you had a serious birth defect, in which I have sympathy for you).

I have no problem with self-pronounced "genderfluid" people (or any of the other new words made up) going around dressing and acting differently, or whatever. But sex and sexuality are things you cannot change, whether you feel like it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    This is in cessation
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    This has been withdrawn

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.