Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    Just charge Non-English students more, simple.
    Then they go elswehere and the unis are force to charge home students more. genius.

ReputationRep:
    I would support a system that ensured cost was kept down for the most important and University necessary courses e.g. Maths, The Sciences, Engineering etc and then charge more for the courses where University isn't the only course e.g. Drama, Sports Science etc. You cans till them but you should be expected to pay for a course that may not be necessary and won't benefit the country much. This should also encourage more people into STEM courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
    what's wrong with wanting to get an education without having to pay for it?

You know, some of us aren't so loaded that we could easily splash out on degrees.

I have a friend who's absolutely desperate to go to university but she worries she can't because she might not be able to afford it.

And what, you like the fact that the poorer people would be excluded from unis? Even if they have the sheer intelligence to be able to go to one?
    Then youre friend is a moron as well as others who say they cant "afford it". Its not even like a typical loan what isnt there to afford by that, i can assume shell be entitled to the full 8200 loan which is more than enough to live off for a year. After wards you pay back such minuscule amounts which you never actually see anyway, and after a certain number of years its wiped off.

You make out "splashing on degrees" is something as a luxury, when getting education is for the good of your future. Poor people arent excluded from unis because some do offer scholarships and you have the full loan which way more than enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    Lies

You're just lying, stop it.

My family are in huge debt, I have not a single penny to my name. But guess what, I'm still going to University.

Want to know why? Because I know that if I work hard enough it is beyond worth my time, and it's exactly the same for everyone else.

The only problem is that everyone else is lazy and doesn't put the effort in so claims costs are holding them back when in reality it's their grades.
    Exactly the person who you quoted is dumb, youre not splashing anything out its for your future.... You can get acess to the full loan of 8200, and you pay back such small amounts that are unnoticeable, cost of uni is a invalid reason not to go to uni, its a nonsensical issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebastian Bartlett)
    I would support a system that ensured cost was kept down for the most important and University necessary courses e.g. Maths, The Sciences, Engineering etc and then charge more for the courses where University isn't the only course e.g. Drama, Sports Science etc.
    but that is the system presently in place.

The per unit provision cost of a degree in engineering or laboratory science is >£9000, the cost in e.g. sociology or film studies is about £3000. But both pay the same such that the 'soft subject' students subsidize the STEM kids.

And this remains true even if future earning (and liability) outcomes are as commonly anticipated. If Sociology Susan pays off only half of her debt while Physics Phil pays the whole whack, still she has covered 130% of provision costs while he has paid about 75% of his.

ReputationRep:
    You guys do realise that this means more universities are going to be offering unconditional offers because students are more likely to be put off because of the rise in tuition fees. That being said, I think, is a good thing - means I can actually put less emphasis and stress on trying to find funds and the stress of exams at the same time. Win-win for everybody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    We'll see if you're still saying that once you've graduated.
    Obviously I will. The debt is insignificant compared the the experience, knowledge gained, career opportunities expanded and the pay increases acquired from going to a decent Uni as opposed to not going. Not everything is about money. Paying back a few % of my salary, for the cause that got me that salary, doesn't exactly seem unfair to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob5124)
    Where do you get this nonsense from? Graduates tend to earn more, which means they pay more tax, and over the course of their life they pay off the cost of their degree many times over in the form of the extra tax they pay. They already took the burden before the 9k fees.

An educated population pays for itself in many different ways. From the extra tax they pay due to higher income, to the extra services they offer the country. This is just short sighted and greedy, You are hallucinating that they are not paying it back just because you have a poor understanding of the topic.

All this will encourage people to do is leave the country after studying their degree to avoid paying the money back, leading to brain drain, stripping the country of educated people just because the tories are greedy.

Another person who can't see the big picture and can't comprehend that a more educated population benefits the country as a whole.
    It's not that hard of a concept to understand. The current system is for all intents and purposes a graduate tax. Of course graduates, in the end, pay more in taxes. This still doesn't justify free higher education. The current system is not unaffordable or unviable for graduates and more importantly it's a system where well off graduates contribute even more, and people who don't go to university aren't seen as having to subsidise well of graduates.

I'm very well aware of the benefits of a well educated population. The only arguments people seem to have are ones that haven't happened. Poor people aren't being put off of uni, numbers aren't dropping and there isn't a domestic brain drain over the concept of ten quid a week coming off your pay slip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    The current system is for all intents and purposes a graduate tax.
    not all intents and purposes. What is importantly different, and bears on the other fellow's brain drain argument, is that a loan can be pursued even if you leave the country,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    What do we all think of this
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...-a7030671.html
    Tbh I almost feel bad for people who have to pay tuition

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good idea. The government shouldn't have to pay a large amount of money for people's higher education, especially since half the population doesn't even go to university. Students should have to pay for their education fully if they decide to go to university. As long as there are student loans available, it's fine.

It would be better if we had a free market for universities where price was set by demand and supply, but I don't see that happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    not all intents and purposes. What is importantly different, and bears on the other fellow's brain drain argument, is that a loan can be pursued even if you leave the country,
    Indeed! Had not thought of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenPolyglot)
    But either way, I should be revising for my GCSEs.
    Do you actually know how to integrate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I suppose by "Non-English" you mean International students rather than the kids from Abergavenny, Antrim and Arbroath, but wouldn't it make better sense to charge the international students less than at present?
    I mean Non-English, English Students have to pay more than Scottish students in Scotland, I say replicate that, fair is fair right?

Why would you charge international students less?? Universities, at least most of them don't struggle to fill places, more income could be taken from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Then they go elswehere and the unis are force to charge home students more. genius.
    No they wont, demand outstrips supply for many of the UK's universities, especially those form Asia, so yes, it is genius.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    No they wont, demand outstrips supply for many of the UK's universities, especially those form Asia, so yes, it is genius.
    Except you failed to take into account that UK unis are not the only ones that offer an education. Students are price sensitive and many of them have to pay the money up front. If they become too expensive, then the students will just go elsewhere. UK unis are still under a lot of pressure and continue to fall in world rankings. Making them more expensive by arbitraily increasing the price will just make them go elsewhere.

Your idea is short sighted.

ReputationRep:
    Yes so we have lots of Asian students who go back to their home countries after hence we are educating other countries' populations and not our own.

Huge issue in engineering in the minute with the output of native students from engineering degrees not meeting requirements so we have to take in a lot of foreign workers.

Foreign workers are fine but then people want to leave the EU.

Logical

ReputationRep:
    You either take the left wing stance where apparently money grows on trees or common sense where you find a way to fund it. Im poor but if I got to pay more then so be it. People on the left see university as a fundamental right when really we are lucky to get such opportunities considering the doors it opens for us

ReputationRep:
    Not against the concept in the slightest. Higher education funding has to come from somewhere so it's probably for the best if it's seen that graduates are taking that burden. Try telling that to self-entitled students though.
    Don't agree with the corporate for-profit universities though, but hey ho if there's a demand...
    And what about the possibility that being able to afford further education (and the destinations it provides access to) becomes the sole preserve of the children of the rich?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    It's not that hard of a concept to understand. The current system is for all intents and purposes a graduate tax.
    Except it isn't because it only applies to graduates who start university after 1998.

All of us who were educated before that, even people like me who sneaked through in 1997 and had "full" student loans (~£2k pa) and (of course) the majority of MPs and the government and the civil service, aren't paying anything like the repayments that graduates who have come after us are paying - when we benefited from subsidised higher education just as much if not more than the current cohort of grads.

Basically students today are paying an inflated premium because the middle aged, middle classes were too scary to bring in a graduate tax for which would have made the whole system financially sustainable.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.