Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, in my GCSE English Lit paper a couple of years ago I misread the question and talked about the wrong character (CURLEY'S WIFE, goddamnit, not Curley).

Still got an A* in that paper though so I must have written some convincing stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Spent 15 minutes trying to work out 25.7640-0 on core 1.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Tropojanja)
    No joke, i did half a page of working out for a 6 mark question and i got zero for forgetting to divide by two. Honestly.

Anyone have their stories to tell about exam mistakes?
    In maths I was supposed to work out the HCF but I worked out the LCM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walz)
    In an English lit exam, I wrote how a woman was a prostitute and used the quote "men come from miles around to buy from her" and "men came back day by day, night by night" turned out she was selling burgers, I had completely misunderstood the poem. My teacher reported me!
    i mean, that's an intepretation, right? lmao

i did a similar thing with a poem that was about old age - i completely missed the metaphor and wrote about how it was abt the environment

ReputationRep:
    I did my AS physics exam today, a question came up for which i had to measure between 2 points and i realized that i didn't bring a ruler, bloody question was a 5 marker, so i waited till the last 5 mins before asking for a ruler and did the question in time. I will never forget a ruler again.

ReputationRep:
    Not my fault but in my GCSE maths exam last year there was a question where you needed a compass and the one I was given was wonky, the second one the hinge thing broke had to wait until the last 5 minutes to ask for another

In my business mock there was a question about the impact of the pound depreciating and I wrote about people not liking the British and so they don't want our money

ReputationRep:
    STEP maths exam last year
    the very first part of the question was to prove
    1+2+3+....+n = n(n+1)/2
    this is EXTREMELY EASY for every a level math student ,there are so many ways to prove it ,it is completely trivial and most of the times you just use it without proving it .
    It was meant to be a gift .
    However I was curious about the next part of the question which was more difficult and interesting
    so I just wrote 1+2+3+...+n = n(n+1)/2
    and that was obviously not a proof.
    I think I lost 3 marks for this , which are really precious in a STEP exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    Well, in my GCSE English Lit paper a couple of years ago I misread the question and talked about the wrong character (CURLEY'S WIFE, goddamnit, not Curley).

Still got an A* in that paper though so I must have written some convincing stuff.
    this has given me some hope for English Lit tbh

ReputationRep:
    No lie!!
    I did the same thing,i put chlorine first then the last 30 seconds i crossed it out and put carbon dioxide!!

ReputationRep:
    In this years C1 exam, I wrote about polymerisation instead of hydrogenation on the 5 question

(Original post by 11ahf)
    Did all the working in a computing exam correctly for a stupid, simple binary question.

Accidentally missed off one of the 0s in the answer box.

Examiner was not generous.

Cost me the A*.
    Aah **** :lol:

Floating point maths was a ****en drag to learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky.m)
    i mean, that's an intepretation, right? lmao

i did a similar thing with a poem that was about old age - i completely missed the metaphor and wrote about how it was abt the environment
    My teacher didn't feel the same way XD

ReputationRep:
    It was in a mock exam, but for my maths calculator exam I had my calculator in 'rad' mode instead of 'deg' throughout the whole exam. The whole way through I wondered why my calculations seemed off.

ReputationRep:
    This was from a French test from when I was in year 7. It was a test to see how much we knew, and there was a translation page one of the phrases was "Je m'appelle" so instead of putting "my name is" I put my actual name. I was so dumb back then

ReputationRep:
    Picking media as a subject

ReputationRep:
    Writing 'LEDC/MEDC countries' consistently through my answers on a geography paper.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote DNA transcriptase instead DNA polymerase. I don't even know what that is.

ReputationRep:
    In my chemistry mock exam I did 14+3=18

ReputationRep:
    "Free elections", not "free electrons", somehow managed to write a paragraph of physics in a history mock, and didn't even realise the massive academic shift until I flicked back over it. Absolutely mortifying

ReputationRep:
    In my AS Physics mock on the multiple choice section, I calculated the answers for 2 questions & even wrote down the answers with my working (which were correct) but I coloured in the wrong boxes that corresponded to completely different answers- twice!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.