Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Official OCR English Literature H072/H472 Predictions and Discussion Thread (AS) watch

ReputationRep:
    prediction for gatsby question? perhaps something about pleasure seeking or hope?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by lydiaws)
    prediction for gatsby question? perhaps something about pleasure seeking or hope?
    What kind of questions came up in your mock? We've all been guessing questions based on mock questions as it is a good and clear indication.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone studying 1984 and The Homecoming and have good revision tips and sites?xx
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Flohigs17)
    Is anyone studying 1984 and The Homecoming and have good revision tips and sites?xx
    I recommend sites such as Lit Charts, Shmoop and Gradesaver!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    I recommend sites such as Lit Charts, Shmoop and Gradesaver!
    Thank you.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Thank you.
    You're welcome! What did you study for Shakespeare and poetry?

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome! What did you study for Shakespeare and poetry?
    I studied Christina Rossetti selected poems and The Tempest,
    How about you?.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I studied Christina Rossetti selected poems and The Tempest,
    How about you?.
    The Tempest and The Merchant's Tale. How did you find TT?

ReputationRep:
    The Tempest and The Merchant's Tale. How did you find TT?
    I found both questions good however, i picked the nature of the role of the father?

ReputationRep:
    They won't have one separate for Rudge and Scripps, it will likely be a question about two characters in that instance.
    I suppose they could have a collective question about "the boys"...
    What would people write about Posner? I think he's quite short on lines, and to be perfectly fair, he's a character who's only really noticeable trait is being homosexual and hopelessly in love with Dakin 😩 I know he has the scene with Irwin, but I think we only get a limited sense of him as a character. He kind of works in relation to other people
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by bethysav)
    I suppose they could have a collective question about "the boys"...
    What would people write about Posner? I think he's quite short on lines, and to be perfectly fair, he's a character who's only really noticeable trait is being homosexual and hopelessly in love with Dakin 😩 I know he has the scene with Irwin, but I think we only get a limited sense of him as a character. He kind of works in relation to other people
    I could write a bit about Posner to be fair, more interestingly than Dakin! I would say that Posner is a real example of defeated expectations as all his efforts of getting to Cambridge were wasted, he listened to Hector a lot and took his words and information to heart, something that equated to his breakdown and loneliness.

ReputationRep:
    Oh thank god i thought I was the only one studying the Homecoming !! What do you hope will come up. Also have you revise contexts and interpretations cause thats a large chunk of the marks

ReputationRep:
    I could write a bit about Posner to be fair, more interestingly than Dakin! I would say that Posner is a real example of defeated expectations as all his efforts of getting to Cambridge were wasted, he listened to Hector a lot and took his words and information to heart, something that equated to his breakdown and loneliness.
    Now that I think about it, everything I would have written about Dakin probably would have just been me fangirling over Dominic Cooper 🙈 That's a really interesting interpretation of Posner. I think there are some characters you just get. In terms of Dakin, if he did come up, I feel like there's so much more to him than meets the eye. I really sense a sort of vulnerability about him, there's the idea of the humour being a front, really I think he's desperate for some sort of acceptance. He's always been so admired and accepted by other boys that there's no point in the play when he can just let his guard down, except when we see him alone with Irwin. I understand why Mrs Lintott ridicules Hector when he calls Dakin 'somehow sad', but just the idea of Dakin going to Oxford and searching for Irwin's name in the records becuase he was lonely... Actions sometimes speak louder than words.

Sorry, I've just realised I've had a massive rant about it! Hope this counts as revision 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lydiaws)
    Our class made a little list of things we thought it might be-

TOP FOUR
    - Hopes and Dreams
    - Class/Social Divides
    - The Jazz Age
    - Artificiality

OTHERS
    - Romance
    - Wealth
    - Reality vs Illusion
    - Consumerism
    - The American Dream
    - Dissatisfaction

Hope this helps ☺️
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by bethysav)
    Now that I think about it, everything I would have written about Dakin probably would have just been me fangirling over Dominic Cooper 🙈 That's a really interesting interpretation of Posner. I think there are some characters you just get. In terms of Dakin, if he did come up, I feel like there's so much more to him than meets the eye. I really sense a sort of vulnerability about him, there's the idea of the humour being a front, really I think he's desperate for some sort of acceptance. He's always been so admired and accepted by other boys that there's no point in the play when he can just let his guard down, except when we see him alone with Irwin. I understand why Mrs Lintott ridicules Hector when he calls Dakin 'somehow sad', but just the idea of Dakin going to Oxford and searching for Irwin's name in the records becuase he was lonely... Actions sometimes speak louder than words.

Sorry, I've just realised I've had a massive rant about it! Hope this counts as revision 😂
    Haha we've all done it at some point of our studies! Thanks for the rant lol, it did help, I really hope we get a question on sexuality as it would be interesting and a crucial theme.

ReputationRep:
    I study the Homecoming too, I really hope we get a question on Max!! I've got a few quotes from critics but not much context. Its a strange play and we didn't get much help from our teacher

ReputationRep:
    Bloody chamber is horrible, defo worse than Chaucer
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by OddFuturez)
    Bloody chamber is horrible, defo worse than Chaucer
    I know the feeling, can't seem to guess which theme is going to come up and I dread the unseen extract.

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling, can't seem to guess which theme is going to come up and I dread the unseen extract.
    defo gonna fail if the question is about monstrosity or gothic antagonists/fairy tale
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by OddFuturez)
    defo gonna fail if the question is about monstrosity or gothic antagonists/fairy tale
    Oh god I'd cry if that came up. Only thing I can think of for them is the motifs of fairy tale in the stories, that's it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 6, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.