Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingYusHalo)
    Look at the 3 top international rankings and take average.(THE, ARWU, and QS)

Eg. Berkeley in CS is ranked 3rd in ARWU, 7th in QS, and 5th in THE.
    Your average score is 5.

Do this for whatever universities is find, and see which one has the highest average score(1 is highest). I don't see how you could go wrong using 3 of the world's best rankings.
    Ignore what this muppet is saying. The QS has the LSE ranked between 51-100 in the world for Computer Science when it doesn't even offer the degree. International rankings for subjects are hardly reliable.

Look at the entry tariff for universities, graduate prospects and research standards (not that important given you won't actually do any research in your UG but useful nonetheless) and then combine the average rankings of all three.

(Original post by peachpetals)
    "Its ranked higher in other league tables." All league tables are full of inconsistencies if you are seriously believing in any of them your crazy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankin...United_Kingdom

Wikipedia summarises which universities appear in the top 10 of all the national league tables: Oxbridge, St Andrews, Imperial, Durham and Warwick as well as the universities which appear in the top 100 of all the global league tables: Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, KCL, Edinburgh, Bristol and Warwick.

Four appear in both: Oxbridge, Imperial and Warwick.

UCL appears in the top 10 of 2 of the national league tables and Durham and St Andrews appear in the top 100 of 3 of the global league tables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WCF)
    Prestige, not success. I've known people choose York over e.g. Warwick for maths just because it has a collegiate structure for example. Ok, so colleges probably count as well. Architecture + colleges = max prestige
    LOL York Maths over Warwick Maths, what a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    LOL York Maths over Warwick Maths, what a joke.
    Too right. I hope the York grads enjoy their "careers" in Retail or Admin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WCF)
    Just admit it, people will base prestige on how the university looks at the end of the day. If someone builds a new university that has old buildings like Oxbridge I can guarantee it will climb up those league tables fast because everyone will want to go there and it looks prestiguous. No matter how hard modern plateglasses like Warwick try, they will never really be good because of their crap architecture that makes it feel like a business rather than a place of knowledge and learning.
    With that logic, Liverpool, Leeds and Birmingham should be second only to Oxbridge (and Durham) in terms of "prestige", owing to their beautiful red brick buildings - well above places like Warwick, LSE and Imperial. And yet their application figures show that to be false when it comes to both popularity and career prospects. Nice theory you've got there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    With that logic, Liverpool, Leeds and Birmingham should be second only to Oxbridge (and Durham) in terms of "prestige", owing to their beautiful red brick buildings - well above places like Warwick, LSE and Imperial. And yet their application figures show that to be false when it comes to both popularity and career prospects. Nice theory you've got there.
    Only the main buildings are nice at those unis, look at the rest of the buildings, nothing compared to Oxbridge. Royal Holloway also has a nice main building but all the others are just ugly IMO. Again, Reading has Wantage Hall and a few old buildings but the rest are really ugly. Only at Oxbridge are the buildings consistently old and nice, also the cities themselves are historic and beautiful. Durham and St Andrews are the only close runners up, all others are either in a polluted city (Edinburgh, Glasgow, UCL, etc) or a boring concrete campus (Warwick, Bath, Lancaster, etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WCF)
    Just admit it, people will base prestige on how the university looks at the end of the day. If someone builds a new university that has old buildings like Oxbridge I can guarantee it will climb up those league tables fast because everyone will want to go there and it looks prestiguous. No matter how hard modern plateglasses like Warwick try, they will never really be good because of their crap architecture that makes it feel like a business rather than a place of knowledge and learning.
    The fantasy hypothetical of building "a new university that looks like Oxbridge" is only preposterous, and see for example the universal and as well local derision with which (specifically the design of) Nuffield College Oxford was met.

We can find an analogue in the US, where a large majority would choose Berkeley or MIT (or UCSD?) over the University of Virginia, a very respectable school and perhaps the most architecturally 'distinguished' college in the nation.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by WCF)
    Only the main buildings are nice at those unis, look at the rest of the buildings, nothing compared to Oxbridge. Royal Holloway also has a nice main building but all the others are just ugly IMO. Again, Reading has Wantage Hall and a few old buildings but the rest are really ugly. Only at Oxbridge are the buildings consistently old and nice, also the cities themselves are historic and beautiful. Durham and St Andrews are the only close runners up, all others are either in a polluted city (Edinburgh, Glasgow, UCL, etc) or a boring concrete campus (Warwick, Bath, Lancaster, etc)
    Cambridge (and Oxford) have a lot of modernist/brutalist architecture too you know. Which you clearly don't because you really have no idea at all.

Churchill College:
    Name:  1464502897104.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  24.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Cambridge (and Oxford) have a lot of modernist/brutalist architecture too you know. Which you clearly don't because you really have no idea at all.

Churchill College:
    Name:  1464502897104.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  24.8 KB
    Not sure how you came to the conclusion that I clearly didn't know because FYI I did know about those but they basically drown among the beauty IMO. But even then I don't for one moment think they are as ugly as people make out; look at the Churchill dining hall for example:

Also the spiral staircase and beautiful library at Murray Edwards is another example of inner beauty, despite looking like this on the outside:

Try comparing those to Warwick's library for instance, ugh
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by mas_)
    Can't speak for Brunel but City (due its location & reputation) has great links with many investment banks, making it easier to get internships etc
    Loooool.... I think you mean only Cass.

I love how people phrase this, as if a couple of visits now and again by people amount to 'great links'. A uni can have as many 'links' as they wish but if their graduates aren't adequately represented amongst graduate intakes, I would hardly call the links 'great' nor particularly helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Film)
    It is difficult to generalize. I have friends at Kings who love it, and a number at Bath whom are very disappointed, as Bath promotes the idea that they have "special " connections with companies for internships, when in fact they don't, and many are scrambling to find something, anything, before the deadline.
    Case in point, any uni selling you things like 'employer links' without hard stats of where their grads end up are selling dreams of smoke and mirrors. Frankly, I feel universities are doing a grave disservice by not making clear documents showing name of employer and role upon graduation, or even postgrad degree attended (for the most recent year) in their prospectuses. I'd much rather see hard data than have someone tell me about 'links'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MintyMilk)
    The worst kind of person is the one who wrongly thinks they're elite. UCL isn't THAT great. Unless you're doing medicine, realise that it's just the same as any other top 10 University. Loughborough probably is somewhat below, but not to the extent that you can act like you go to Cambridge in comparison.

I got an offer from UCL to do Physics, and ended up picking Warwick as my firm.

Edit: "So, I'm going to be applying to Oxford this fall for engineering. I've had a look at the PAT papers and have noticed the questions are somewhat beyond what the A-level course offers."

dude, are you serious? Do you not even actually have an offer from UCL or something?
    LOOOOOL, yeah, guy's a clown.

And same here bro, Warwick ftw.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MintyMilk)
    The worst kind of person is the one who wrongly thinks they're elite. UCL isn't THAT great. Unless you're doing medicine, realise that it's just the same as any other top 10 University. Loughborough probably is somewhat below, but not to the extent that you can act like you go to Cambridge in comparison.

I got an offer from UCL to do Physics, and ended up picking Warwick as my firm.

Edit: "So, I'm going to be applying to Oxford this fall for engineering. I've had a look at the PAT papers and have noticed the questions are somewhat beyond what the A-level course offers."

dude, are you serious? Do you not even actually have an offer from UCL or something?
    Let's just agree that UCL is equally as good as Warwick... Except for the sciences maybe.

ReputationRep:
    why the hate on Warwick lol its a beautiful university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WCF)
    University of Greenwich for you then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    University of Greenwich for you then
    Try again? It's in London which is quite crappy tbh with the 9000 deaths per year and all that...

As I said, all unis are either a (mostly) modern campus or in a polluted city. Only oxbridge, durham and st andrews are good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolatmaths)
    why the hate on Warwick lol its a beautiful university
    Highest number of suicide rates, that's a good reason IMO.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by WCF)
    Try again? It's in London which is quite crappy tbh with the 9000 deaths per year and all that...

As I said, all unis are either a (mostly) modern campus or in a polluted city.
    Try again, again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...opulation.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by WCF)

As I said, all unis are either a (mostly) modern campus or in a polluted city. Only oxbridge, durham and st andrews are good
    Air pollution in Cambridge is higher right now than in Greenwich: http://aqicn.org/map/unitedkingdom/#...523/-0.0654/8z

(and Oxford is only a single point better than Greenwich)
    :flute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Air pollution in Cambridge is higher right now than in Greenwich: http://aqicn.org/map/unitedkingdom/#...523/-0.0654/8z

(and Oxford is only a single point better than Greenwich)
    :flute:
    That can't be right, it says that london has "low" pollution. This one looks much more accurate IMO judging by the google maps earth views of london and cambridge (cambridge is surrounded by greenery)

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/data/gis-mapping
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by WCF)
    That can't be right, it says that london has "low" pollution. This one looks much more accurate IMO judging by the google maps earth views of london and cambridge (cambridge is surrounded by greenery)

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/data/gis-mapping
    That's historical not current.

And Cambridge town centre regularly has extremely high traffic congestion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.