Turn on thread page Beta

What is a reason for staying in the Eu? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otester)
    Have you ever considered the risk of staying?
    Other than going by their rules I haven't really heard any other disadvantages of staying. We've coped so far

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhyss01)
    Other than going by their rules I haven't really heard any other disadvantages of staying. We've coped so far

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perhaps you might want to look into the migrant crisis, Eurozone crisis, upcoming EU army, destruction of Greece, miles of regulation etc.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot think of any positive reason for staying in the EU. Oh,and I just said on another Forum it annoys me how the Left portray people like me to be either racist or anti Europe. I am neither, and find that assumption deeply offensive. I lived and worked all over the world as a professional dancer. I LOVE Europe. It is full of beautiful architecture, languages, cultures, art, etc. I truly believe it is the most fabulous continent on the planet. But that doesn't mean we have to be joined at the hip with the rest of Europe for evermore. We can go it alone and thrive and prosper.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone wanting to stay must be mad.
    Don't listen to politicians talk to people who have lived and worked since the we joined the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sceptic1234)
    Anyone wanting to stay must be mad.
    Don't listen to politicians talk to people who have lived and worked since the we joined the EU.
    Done.

Voting to remain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Done.

Voting to remain.
    could you give your reasons or logic or a follower

ReputationRep:
    In short, you give all points with no explanations.

(Original post by JordanL_)
    1. Beneficial for our economy

Why?

2. We get lots of highly skilled immigrants that fill jobs British people can't fill

How? (How can't we get these skilled immigrants if we leave the EU? We simply get control of our own borders.)

3. The EU is extremely progressive. They've given us most of our rights (our Human Rights, our consumer rights to refunds and working protects, our health and safety rights) and they've taken huge steps toward protecting the environment for future generations

How have they given us all of these rights? Sources please?

4. They protect us from the corruption in our own country. The great irony about all these people harping on about "democracy" is that they've made their minds up almost entirely based on what they've read in Rupert Murdoch's tabloids. As Rupert Murdoch himself said when asked why he dislikes the EU: “When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.” Fortunately for Rupert, the British public will accept whatever the Daily Mail says without question.

Hardly. I've read about the structure of the EU. I don't think I've read anything from Fox or the Sun in my life.
    Polls don't even support you; if the British public will accept whatever the Daily Mail said without question, the remain votes wouldn't be in the league at the moment, which in reality is going to be bad for the British public.

The corruption in this country? Please do give examples. Yes there's corruption, like in all country around the globe. Newsflash: countries are comprised of people.

5. They make us more significant. We have more negotiating power when trading, and we're stronger in international political matters, because we're part of the EU.

Not really. If we left the EU we'd "undelegate" our EU representatives on the World Trade Organisation, for example, and then we can fill them up with our own representatives working in the UK's interest.

Also outside of the Customs Union we are currently subjected to, we can negotiate free trade deals; "free" being the operative word.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So despite acknowledging the lack of democracy, you want to remain?

Where are your principles!?

ReputationRep:
    Precautionary principle.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also, onto other disadvantages, is a worse economy.

Look at the Common External Tariff placed on foreign goods; a tariff used to protect trade, but stalls development in third world countries and drives up food prices.

Look at the higher energy prices due to CO2 emission taxation; it doesn't even reduce CO2 emission, because the companies simply relocate, and as a result we only get higher energy prices!

Look at the £55 million EU membership fees/day; only half is put back into this country, and we don't even get to decide how it is spent!

Only some of the qualities of EU membership!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone studying - You may think in years to come why did I bother.
    Quick true story.
    My friend trained to be a carpenter and in say 2001 he was on £100 a day working hard. After all he trained for 4 years.
    at the time there was immigrant labourers due to staff shortages. (No problem) By 2006 there was immigrant carpenters ,plasterers etc but willing to do the same job for £50 a day. My friend left the trade unable to compete with people living 10 to a house and floating to and from there own country. I am now in finance and can see the same cycle just starting.
    If your happy to study and be on shelf stackers wages in the future well vote to stay.
    Just remember what could happen to you if educated yet unable to get rewarded for your study as big companies would never turn down cheap labour if available over a graduate on twice the amount.
    THE EU JUST DILUTES OUR WEALTH.

ReputationRep:
    Done.

Voting to remain.

Immigration will continue if we leave the EU.

It's not an argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    Immigration will continue if we leave the EU.

It's not an argument.
    But we will have control and slow down the flow if essential.
    NOT if we stay in the EU
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Yes, there is.
    You're just not going to say what that reason is.

otester Rhyss01 sceptic1234 happyrubbit

One reason for staying in the EU is so that UK can pay the tuition fees of all EU citizens who come to UK, study for 3 years or more and leave without paying it off.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/672...g-tuition-fees

All this while UK students are slapped with interest upon loans resulting in debts.
    http://indy100.independent.co.uk/art...s--byehqL4RmQW

oh and btw, apparently the contents of the ballot paper come Voting Day on June 23 has been leaked.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    We're less likely to get attacked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BhavyaB)
    We're less likely to get attacked.
    By whom?

I'm in favour of staying in the EU and I might even make a case that remaining in the EU improves our national security but I am afraid it is nonsense to suggest that EU membership reduces the threat of attack on the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I'll say employment rights again.

ReputationRep:
    I'll say employment rights again.
    But that costs UK businesses money! We need to strip away all of this oppressive legislation to bring in £££ for the elite!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    otester Rhyss01 sceptic1234 happyrubbit

One reason for staying in the EU is so that UK can pay the tuition fees of all EU citizens who come to UK, study for 3 years or more and leave without paying it off.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/672...g-tuition-fees

All this while UK students are slapped with interest upon loans resulting in debts.
    http://indy100.independent.co.uk/art...s--byehqL4RmQW

oh and btw, apparently the contents of the ballot paper come Voting Day on June 23 has been leaked.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Is this meant to be an argument for leaving the EU? Every other country pays our tuition fees if we go to study there. The only reason we need to pay tuition fees in the UK is because OUR GOVERNMENT has decided they'd rather give tax cuts to the obscenely rich than pay for our education.

As for leaving without paying it off, EU immigrants contribute more to our economy than any other group.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.