Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOtherSide.)
    I don't even know how to stop doing them.. :sigh:
    Me too!! I hate that I just can't seem to avoid those suckers... :facepalm:

meh I'm Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo bored....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    meh I'm Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo bored....
    ok.

(Original post by longshot100)
    ok.
    k.

Blog Post #2- Life as an only child

So I guess this means my "blogging" days are Tuesdays, so mark your calendars ladies and gents :yep:. In true homeland.lsw fashion I've thought of this idea whilst in the shower, it's not particularly bizarre, BUT it's interesting nonetheless...(well I think it's interesting)

So, as some of you may know, I am an only child. I remember back last year I did an AMA on this, which was fairly popular so I decided to touch upon it again It's interesting because I think almost everyone who reads my blog has a sibling be it younger or older and I'm here wondering what it's like...who knows, maybe you're wondering the same thing about me?

Being an only child may seem like the most wonderful, glamorous thing in the world. But to be honest, it's a bit **** Most of the time I sit in my room alone in silence, either listening to music or on my computer or, very occasionally, revising. Whilst that may be the same for the majority of you, you still have an element of "social contact" with your siblings. There are some kinds of sibling bonds which I just will never have, and to be honest I'm a bit pissed :lol: Because fine, you may squabble, or share or make sacrifices, but at the end of the day that person is basically your flesh and blood. And, through the thick and thin of it, will be there for you.

If you think about it in a morbid way, when my parents die, I'll be alone in the world. Sure I'll have cousins and perhaps an aunt or uncle, possibly a partner; but not an immediate family member who can replace them and truly understand what I would go through. A sibling on the other hand would share your grief and stick with you whilst you would do the same. At the end of the day, having a sibling is better than having no sibling at all. It's like when my grandma passed away, my aunt and mother became incredibly close and helped each other tremendously in the grieving process.

But homeland, I bet you get spoilt rotten and get all the attention!

Well, not really. My parents don't spoil me. In fact I would say I'm less spoilt than a lot of people. (I guess it's all different parenting, but still...) They're actually quite harsh, and having all the attention is sometimes a bad thing. Like if I do badly in a test, they are on me like a rash, they aren't being distracted by other siblings. It's like I constantly have a spotlight over my head. :grumble: And they mollycoddle me to such a degree I cannot do ANYTHING, because they worry I'll be killed or hurt or like kidnapped :sigh: I guess it's because they don't have any spare children to replace me :lol: I'm kidding of course, but seriously, a lot of the time it's frustrating.

And at times I get literally no attention. My parents both work, I'm home alone a lot of the time. Like literally alone with my thoughts. After school my only human interaction is TSR and Snapchat #sadlife. I think at least with a sibling I can have some interaction? Even if it's an argument. I will accept literally ANYTHING. Like, the voices in my head are scaring me...:eek:

I don't know. Maybe my judgement is being clouded with episodes of The Waltons and corny Disney Shows ending with like a group hug and yay Family! :ahee: but what I DO know, is being an only child has a LOT of downsides
    Spoiler:
    Show

Also, sorry for any grammar errors and whatnot, I'm too tired to proof read. This stuff is naked and fresh :ahee:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    x
    Loved it! :ahee:

ReputationRep:

So I guess this means my "blogging" days are Tuesdays, so mark your calendars ladies and gents :yep:. In true homeland.lsw fashion I've thought of this idea whilst in the shower, it's not particularly bizarre, BUT it's interesting nonetheless...(well I think it's interesting)

So, as some of you may know, I am an only child. I remember back last year I did an AMA on this, which was fairly popular so I decided to touch upon it again It's interesting because I think almost everyone who reads my blog has a sibling be it younger or older and I'm here wondering what it's like...who knows, maybe you're wondering the same thing about me?

Being an only child may seem like the most wonderful, glamorous thing in the world. But to be honest, it's a bit **** Most of the time I sit in my room alone in silence, either listening to music or on my computer or, very occasionally, revising. Whilst that may be the same for the majority of you, you still have an element of "social contact" with your siblings. There are some kinds of sibling bonds which I just will never have, and to be honest I'm a bit pissed :lol: Because fine, you may squabble, or share or make sacrifices, but at the end of the day that person is basically your flesh and blood. And, through the thick and thin of it, will be there for you.

If you think about it in a morbid way, when my parents die, I'll be alone in the world. Sure I'll have cousins and perhaps an aunt or uncle, possibly a partner; but not an immediate family member who can replace them and truly understand what I would go through. A sibling on the other hand would share your grief and stick with you whilst you would do the same. At the end of the day, having a sibling is better than having no sibling at all. It's like when my grandma passed away, my aunt and mother became incredibly close and helped each other tremendously in the grieving process.

Well, not really. My parents don't spoil me. In fact I would say I'm less spoilt than a lot of people. (I guess it's all different parenting, but still...) They're actually quite harsh, and having all the attention is sometimes a bad thing. Like if I do badly in a test, they are on me like a rash, they aren't being distracted by other siblings. It's like I constantly have a spotlight over my head. :grumble: And they mollycoddle me to such a degree I cannot do ANYTHING, because they worry I'll be killed or hurt or like kidnapped :sigh: I guess it's because they don't have any spare children to replace me :lol: I'm kidding of course, but seriously, a lot of the time it's frustrating.

And at times I get literally no attention. My parents both work, I'm home alone a lot of the time. Like literally alone with my thoughts. After school my only human interaction is TSR and Snapchat #sadlife. I think at least with a sibling I can have some interaction? Even if it's an argument. I will accept literally ANYTHING. Like, the voices in my head are scaring me...:eek:

I don't know. Maybe my judgement is being clouded with episodes of The Waltons and corny Disney Shows ending with like a group hug and yay Family! :ahee: but what I DO know, is being an only child has a LOT of downsides
    Spoiler:
    Show

:jumphug:

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

Wow! This was informative. Having two siblings sometimes I don't appreciate having them and go "Why are YOU here? " and but now... gonna be much more appreciative.

homeland.lsw I like to read about you you know , I love your style :lol:

Also I remember you told us stuff about you being an only child (in GC I mean) and you seemed so "bored" of being home alone :cry2:

You already know that I have siblings ( :mmm: ) so I can't relate , but I guess I see what you mean by having social interactions and stuff. :console:

Oh also !
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I miss you :cry2: :cry2: Tell GC I love them , and send them a sassy kiss for me :kiss:

ReputationRep:
    When you have too many siblings... do you want one?
    If my parents died I'd be stuck tryna feed a whole generations mouths m8 :rofl:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    That's quite an interesting post I think, for some only childs, they kind of live that magical life but evidently it's different for you and I see what you're saying.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    homeland.lsw i remember being the only child and begging my mum for a massive family after watching home alone...hes annoying sometimes and used to cry literally for 3 hours but hes good now adays but yes even with a brother, me and him do different things alone and dont interact unless he wants to show me his drawings be jelly

(Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    homeland.lsw I like to read about you you know , I love your style :lol:

Also I remember you told us stuff about you being an only child (in GC I mean) and you seemed so "bored" of being home alone :cry2:

You already know that I have siblings ( :mmm: ) so I can't relate , but I guess I see what you mean by having social interactions and stuff. :console:

Oh also !
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I miss you :cry2: :cry2: Tell GC I love them , and send them a sassy kiss for me :kiss:
    Aww you left?
    Because of exams?

+ homeland
    Great post. Made me realize how useful siblings are . They are good for making you toast and when you have mental breakdowns.
    You could always get a cat :hugs:

(Original post by StrawbAri)
    Aww you left?
    Because of exams?

+ homeland
    Great post. Made me realize how useful siblings are . They are good for making you toast and when you have mental breakdowns.
    You could always get a cat :hugs:
    Yep and I already miss them :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    This made me wanna give my bro a ring...

ReputationRep:
    Loved it! i could totally relate bc im an only child too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariam687)
    Hi.

(Original post by mariam687)
    yay! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boss_Rhythm)
    Hi.

PM.

lololol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 6, 2016
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.