Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WJEC BIOLOGY BY1 2016 (NEW AS) Thread Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RasputinReborn)
    Usually it's like 72% for an A, but I don't think anyone in my year got that high 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that was the old sec tho which was soooo much easier, so i recon ,maybe 70% highest! i hope i can manage that! i dunno tho!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cansu2)
    I think it was a nucleus and not a vacuole, I checked on some images on Google on spirogyra and seems that the vacuole is the transparent background material in that cell and the nucleus is centrally based
    In my exam I put X to be the nucleolus and Y to be the vacuole

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luketidley)
    In my exam I put X to be the nucleolus and Y to be the vacuole
    Green stuff were chloroplasts, that circle was a nucleus. Quite ridiculous, considering the fact there was no rough ER, or nuclear pores, or nucleolus, or a double membrane🤔

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This exam was an absolute joke it was nothing like the spec

ReputationRep:
    Just to let everyone know, I contacted the WJEC expressing my thoughts and I received a response today, and honestly I'm not best pleased with it:
    Dear Megan, Thank you for your email. I am sorry to discover the difficulty you experienced with the new AS level Biology examination. This examination was written to comply with the change in criteria required for the new specification. The content of the paper is entirely within the required knowledge for the unit, but some questions were set in an unfamiliar context, as is required by the Assessment Objectives. We are yet to see the actual outcome of candidates' performances for this paper. I can reassure you that the difficulty of the paper and the performance of all candidates are scrutinised closely and will be taken into account at the awarding stage. We expect grade outcomes to be comparable to that seen in the legacy specification. In the first instance, I should be grateful if you could contact the Biology department at your centre to discuss specific concerns you have with the paper in question. If a representative from the school wishes to contact WJEC on your behalf, we will attempt to address specific concerns you have with the content of the question paper.

Hopefully once they see the poor marks, they will realise that change needs to happen in the regard of making the paper either longer, or making it so that less reading is required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megjane1510)
    Just to let everyone know, I contacted the WJEC expressing my thoughts and I received a response today, and honestly I'm not best pleased with it:
    Dear Megan, Thank you for your email. I am sorry to discover the difficulty you experienced with the new AS level Biology examination. This examination was written to comply with the change in criteria required for the new specification. The content of the paper is entirely within the required knowledge for the unit, but some questions were set in an unfamiliar context, as is required by the Assessment Objectives. We are yet to see the actual outcome of candidates' performances for this paper. I can reassure you that the difficulty of the paper and the performance of all candidates are scrutinised closely and will be taken into account at the awarding stage. We expect grade outcomes to be comparable to that seen in the legacy specification. In the first instance, I should be grateful if you could contact the Biology department at your centre to discuss specific concerns you have with the paper in question. If a representative from the school wishes to contact WJEC on your behalf, we will attempt to address specific concerns you have with the content of the question paper.

Hopefully once they see the poor marks, they will realise that change needs to happen in the regard of making the paper either longer, or making it so that less reading is required.
    The spec guide did mention that this would be 20% Maths and 20% English or whatever so they have a point. But I still dont agree with them. This has made it unfair for us compared to the past students who had to deal with easier wording. Ty for emailing them though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megjane1510)

"Comparable to the legacy specification." I surely can't be the only who was comfortably getting A grades, and now begging for a B/C. If they want to make it comparable, then Lord there's going to have to be some real low grade boundaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Follow this link - https://www.facebook.com/southwalesa...55002322244863

I would be very grateful if you could all share your comments on here on the South Wales Argus Page

ReputationRep:
    and this link too - http://m.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/..._was_too_hard/

ReputationRep:
    It's hopeless. Sadly, our exam board isn't as big as AQA or Edexcel, so our injustice is going to go unheard of. I mean, if a straight A* student thinks they've gotten a U, it just shows how ****ed up that exam was.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's disgusting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valbrechts)
    The spec guide did mention that this would be 20% Maths and 20% English or whatever so they have a point. But I still dont agree with them. This has made it unfair for us compared to the past students who had to deal with easier wording. Ty for emailing them though
    yeah i understand they "can" do it cuz it says they can but its not fair expecting us to suddenly be able to have the ability to analyse knowledge when we did the old GCSE's and have no-one has ever done these exams before. WHen they said they would make it comparable do they mean lower the grade boundaries accordingly, I think they are going to be shocked with candidates responses, I actually did the Eduqas one but i expect them to have to lower the grade boundaries in the same way

ReputationRep:
    It's hopeless. Sadly, our exam board isn't as big as AQA or Edexcel, so our injustice is going to go unheard of. I mean, if a straight A* student thinks they've gotten a U, it just shows how ****ed up that exam was.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When the last new spec (now the old one) came out in 2009, the A grade boundary was 75% for an A but surely to dear god it cannot be that high, I did the eduqas paper but it sounds just as bad, guys they have to lower the grade boundary so that equal amounts of people get A's so we should be okay

ReputationRep:
    I honestly hope that the grade boundaries are like :

A - 28
    B - 22
    C - 18
    D - 12
    E - 10

Which tbh is quite funny because I still feel that i'd get a U

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the exam paper?

ReputationRep:
    Any 9 mark predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonandlime1)
    Any 9 mark predictions?
    It'll be something easy. They won't discriminate against pupils on a 9 mark question. I think it will be describing and explaining the effects of temp, light, humidity and wind speed on the rate of transpiration, or how water moves up from the roots to stomata. Definitely feel something plant related coming up. On the specimen papers, for WJEC, it was describing how the the electrical excitation from the SAN causes them to contract, and for Eduqas, it was comparing oxygen affinity between a frog and tadpole. So in conclusion:

Plant stuff as mentioned above.
    Describe how x is digested and absorbed.
    Describe how various organisms have evolved and how various methods can prove this.
    Describe and explain the adaptations for gas exchange in mammals and fish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    can anyone explain the tissue fluid thing
    Like what happens at the arterial end and the venule end and why it's important please

ReputationRep:
    It'll be something easy. They won't discriminate against pupils on a 9 mark question. I think it will be describing and explaining the effects of temp, light, humidity and wind speed on the rate of transpiration, or how water moves up from the roots to stomata. Definitely feel something plant related coming up. On the specimen papers, for WJEC, it was describing how the the electrical excitation from the SAN causes them to contract, and for Eduqas, it was comparing oxygen affinity between a frog and tadpole. So in conclusion:

Plant stuff as mentioned above.
    Describe how x is digested and absorbed.
    Describe how various organisms have evolved and how various methods can prove this.
    Describe and explain the adaptations for gas exchange in mammals and fish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im so glad the spec 9 marker was on oxygen graphs cuz i hate em ahah I agree with your prediction about the plant stuff, i'm thinking it might give us data and then say compare the transport in xylem and phloem but im eduqas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonandlime1)
    can anyone explain the tissue fluid thing
    Like what happens at the arterial end and the venule end and why it's important please
    Hydrostatic pressure> osmotic @ arterial end so net movement out (ultrafiltration)

Reverse in venous end via osmosis

Not really sure of its importance though :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.