OCR Chemistry A 2016 unofficial mark scheme 27/05/16

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRosesBloom)
    Does anyone remember the second multiple choice question? I'm pretty sure I got a B in that but on this thread people seem to have gotten a C/D?
    https://twitter.com/ChemistryALevel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronnydandam)
    This guy is a teacher and will do the whole paper and post the mark scheme https://twitter.com/ChemistryALevel
    Not sure about some of these...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tizzaclaire98)
    Yh some of them don't seem right, but most are correct. At least its something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tizzaclaire98)
    That's what I was thinking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamoni4)
    You cannot use Br2 because you will make a dihaloalkane and you cannot make an alcohol from dihaloalkane. You had to use HBr to make haloalkane and then NaOH to make alcohol.
    It was a diol though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamoni4)
    You cannot use Br2 because you will make a dihaloalkane and you cannot make an alcohol from dihaloalkane. You had to use HBr to make haloalkane and then NaOH to make alcohol.
    There were 2 OH groups though so you had to use Br2

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the marks scheme really appreciate can I just ask if possible could you update with what the question was if possible, obviously multiple choice may not be possible but for the others could you say what the question was

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** it's ammonium sulfide!!!! not sulphate.

ReputationRep:
    My answers to multiple choice BCDACBBDABDBBCDDDBBD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom2121)
    Thanks for the marks scheme really appreciate can I just ask if possible could you update with what the question was if possible, obviously multiple choice may not be possible but for the others could you say what the question was
    Of course, however you know that there are pictures of the paper on Twitter now? @ChemistryALevel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRosesBloom)
    Oh **** it's ammonium sulfide!!!! not sulphate.
    That was a b***chy question haha managed to suss it out tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosssman)
    That was a b***chy question haha managed to suss it out tho
    I was so tired! Didn't have enough sleep that's why

ReputationRep:
    I marked my paper. Got 57/70. So many idiotic mistakes

ReputationRep:
    which ones in that are wrong?

ReputationRep:
    I've updated the mark scheme with all the questions, answers and marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronnydandam)
    which ones in that are wrong?
    I've updated this one with all the correct answers

ReputationRep:
    If on the last question i put X2 instead of giving a specific halogen will i get the mark? and i know it's a long shot but would i get a mark for saying for the water of crystallization question that they could get an anhydrous salt, hydrate it and see if the percentage change is the same as the percentage change when he removed the water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealbatman365)
    *No of atoms in 5.00g coin: 3.98 x 10^22 (3sf) *

For this one, I got 3.97 x 10^22 for using the RAM calculated in the part before?? Did you have to use the periodic table one or the calculated one?
    I used both as a check and both gave me 3.98×10^22

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosssman)
    Here's my attempt at an unofficial mark scheme, it is for the OCR Chemistry A, new spec, breadth in chemistry paper, really can only put the maths questions down, but if there are written ones I can remember I will put them down. This is only really for comparison of numbers, and general ideas

Multiple choice:
    BCDACCBDCBCBBCBDDBBD [20] (if anyone happened to store their multiple choice answers on their calculator, please post them below to compare)

Similarities and differences of isotopes: Same number of protons and electrons, different number of neutrons [2]
    Relative atomic mass: 63.62 [2]
    No of atoms in 5.00g coin: 3.98 x 10^22 (3sf) [2]
    Equation with nickel (II) oxide and nitric acid: NiO + 2HNO3 --> Ni(NO3)2 + H2O [1]
    Dot and cross: [2]
    Empirical formula with water of crystallisation: CrCl3 • 6H2O [3]
    Percentage error of water removed mass: 1.72% [2]
    Ways to reduce percentage uncertainty: use a larger mass of crystals to get larger mass of water removed, reducing % error [1]
    To make sure mass of water removed is correct: reweigh and reheat, repeat until constant mass is achieved [1]
    Volume of H2SO4 required to neutralise NaOH: 24.8cm^3 [3]
    Oxidation: Al oxidised from 0 to +3 and H reduced from +1 to 0 [2]
    Electron configuration of bromide ion: 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 [1]
    Displacement question: Cl2(g) + 2Br-(aq) = 2Cl- (aq) + Br2 (aq) [1] chlorine is more reactive than bromine [1]
    Adding chlorine to water: benefit, kills bacteria, risk, chlorine is toxic [1]
    Reagent for halide precipitate: AgNO3 (aq) [1]
    Halogen precipitate colours: chloride, white; bromide, cream; iodide, yellow [1]
    Enthalpy change of reaction: -58.5 kJmol^-1 [4]
    Ionic equation: Pb2+(aq) + 2I-(aq) = PbI2 (s) [1]
    Concentration of KI required: 3.3 moldm^-3 [2]
    Equilibrium question: The equilibrium position will shift to the right, as the forward reaction is exothermic, in an attempt to reduce the effect of the temperature decrease. The equilibrium position will also shift to the right as there are fewer gas molecules in the products of the forward reaction, in an attempt to reduce the effect of the pressure increase. This may vary to the actual conditions as low temperature reduces rate of reaction, and it's expensive to have a high pressure. [5]
    Concentration in equilibrium question: 0.876 moldm^-3 [4]
    Homologous series: alkenes, general formula: CnH2n [1]
    Alkene to alkane: H2, nickel catalyst, 150 degrees C [1]
    Alcohol --> H2SO4 + heat --> alkene (this question was to draw the alcohol I think) [1]
    Empirical formula: C2H5O [1]
    Last question: step 1 reagent, Cl2/Br2/I2, step 2 reagent, NaOH [3]

Any incorrect (although I don't think there are) please tell and I'll correct

Also, post about how you found the exam, as this will give a good indication of grade boundaries
    Last step 2 reagent would probably allow KOH and probably LiOH as well
    Potentially water but not sure on that

ReputationRep:
    Looking at all the stupid mistakes I did from not reading the questions properly

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.