Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel the same tbh
    I appreciate the (little) good she's done but I can't stop thinking about how much better my life would have been if she was of a different personality.

I actually intend on making my baby brother live with me from the age of 10 so he doesn't have to be raised by her :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    I strongly dislike my mother
    Is this where that "internet parents" thing comes from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    lol how ridiculous. You seem completely ignorant of the emotional/mental impacts of such abuse.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Plus your god is utterly depraved if he allows a child to be abused and then expects them to just 'forgive and forget' their abuse.
    This is one of my issues with religion. It pretty much gives you a free pass to act however you like so long as you feel very, very sorry for it after and ask for forgiveness. Pathetic.

(Original post by jshark97)
    You should not feel horrible saying that. Society has this idea integrated into everyone's mind that you should 'always' love family, regardless of apparently anything. You do not owe your mother, or anyone for that matter, any love unless they deserve it. If your mum happens to have been supportive and loving etc, then that's great and I don't see any reason not to have a great relationship. However, if she has been unpleasant towards you then you are more than entitled to not love her. She doesn't get any special privileges or excuses to be unpleasant towards you and still have you love her, based off the fact that she's your mother. A lot of people seem to get angry about having this questioned and will say things like "she gave birth to you, you should love her", but the fact is you never asked to be born nor did anyone else. Some people will just say it's "not right" without any justification at all. Please, go by how you truly feel and not by how people say how you 'should' feel.
    It is extremely difficult, everywhere I turn people are talking about their loving mothers, people can't wait to leave uni and go home for the holidays, they can't bear to be away from her for more than a few months at most. And I'm here counting down the days till I can leave her and go back to uni. I do agree that mothers are precious and work extremely hard and try for their kids. My mother did provide for me and made sure I never went hungry and was comfortable so I will do the same to the best of my ability when she's less able to look after herself. But in terms of loving her, I can't seem to do it because I dont think she ever did all that out of true love, but out of duty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    I just don't. It gets a little difficult during times like mother's day when I have to give her a random gift and card and everyone's saying how much they love their mother and I don't know what that feels like.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate her. I would take care of her and make sure she is comfortable in her old age. And I will try and visit at least twice a year. But I won't look forward to it. Meh.

Anyone else not love their mother?
    Yeah...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    I appreciate the (little) good she's done but I can't stop thinking about how much better my life would have been if she was of a different personality.
    This is exactly how I feel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Is this where that "internet parents" thing comes from?
    Yes my internet parents were a replacement for my *****y real parents.

ReputationRep:
    My mum and dad are genuinely some of the most awesome people and I love them so much :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    Yes my internet parents were a replacement for my *****y real parents.
    No one can truly replace a real. loving parent, so I think to try and do that is a futile exercise, especially when it's with people you've met online who are barely older than you. It's silly to call them parents. Sometimes though, a good friendship can fill that gap you feel so much better, and to work at that is probably healthier too. I'd argue that friendships can be become much more deep and meaninful than parental bonds, even.

ReputationRep:
    By looking at all these replies, I guess we can all learn a lot from our parents' flaws and make things happier for our own children. I'd hate to think that my child feels as if I don't love them or that they can't talk to me about anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    It is extremely difficult, everywhere I turn people are talking about their loving mothers, people can't wait to leave uni and go home for the holidays, they can't bear to be away from her for more than a few months at most. And I'm here counting down the days till I can leave her and go back to uni. I do agree that mothers are precious and work extremely hard and try for their kids. My mother did provide for me and made sure I never went hungry and was comfortable so I will do the same to the best of my ability when she's less able to look after herself. But in terms of loving her, I can't seem to do it because I dont think she ever did all that out of true love, but out of duty.
    I can relate to your situation more than you would expect, in fact I have had thoughts/experiences almost identical to what you have posted, so I can empathize with you completely. I know it's difficult, if you want to talk about it with somebody who understands, or even just vent to, send me a message.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not close to my mother. She was abusive and difficult to deal with, and since I have gone away for university I feel a lot more comfortable. She doesn't want to speak to me and hasn't called me once while I was away at university, and I don't miss her at all. There are obviously lots of circumstances in there that I won't mention.

It is alright not to feel close to your mother. Some people have this idea that all mothers are angels who can do no wrong; they think that just because they had a nice mother, everyone else must have one too. Those are the people who'll tell you things like ''oh I'm sure that's not right, she loves you/ wants to speak to you really'' and ''you should be trying to get closer / make it up to her''.

:rolleyes: :hugs:(I'm assuming your experience was similar to mine).

ReputationRep:
    People here who are saying you should love your mother and have some respect or whatever for her obviously REALLY do not understand the feeling. If you're one of those people, try having an abusive/hard to control/rude mother then say what you're saying. I completely get where you're coming from. You can't choose your family, you'd be amazingly lucky to be born into a family which you actually like.

I'm always here for anyone :grouphugs:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.