Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingYusHalo)
    About 50 degrees celcius. No one really stays outside during that time. You could seriously get a stroke or something within 10 minutes of exposure to the sun

In a country of 30million people....there are only 3000 religious police. That's legit like less than the amount or ******'s here. In your day to day life, you don't often see them. Personally, I see one of them once every couple months or so. No one really likes the religious police here. I've seen videos of where civilians are shooing off the religious police. They're just so diluted that they barely present any trouble.

Never, I say whatever I want. Just don't denounce Islam or the King(which i will never do anyway).

I so far have never seen anyone publicly punished. People often have the misconception that you get execution for any crime. You don't, even if you committed murder or something. Every case passes through the supreme court and the judges decide based on previous crimes and history and level of crime. The system is similar to the US. Saudi has like 20-40 executions in a year. It shows that only a VERY small proportion of
    perpetrators get the death penalty. Compare that to ~100 executions in the US. Just follow the rules, and you'll be fine. No need to be the cool boy.

What was your question again?

OMG 50 DEGREES!! I never knew it would be that hot, so what do you do in the hot weather?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mero22)
    I'm pretty sure that in every other arab country you can walk alone as a female but in saudi Arabia you can't
    Of course you can . Where did you hear that from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tasnia'x)
    OMG 50 DEGREES!! I never knew it would be that hot, so what do you do in the hot weather?
    I usually travel to another country. Otherwise I stay inside my house. It usually cools down to about 40 at night so most activities happen at night.

ReputationRep:
    About 50 degrees celcius. No one really stays outside during that time. You could seriously get a stroke or something within 10 minutes of exposure to the sun

In a country of 30million people....there are only 3000 religious police. That's legit like less than the amount or ******'s here. In your day to day life, you don't often see them. Personally, I see one of them once every couple months or so. No one really likes the religious police here. I've seen videos of where civilians are shooing off the religious police. They're just so diluted that they barely present any trouble.

Never, I say whatever I want. Just don't denounce Islam or the King(which i will never do anyway).

I so far have never seen anyone publicly punished. People often have the misconception that you get execution for any crime. You don't, even if you committed murder or something. Every case passes through the supreme court and the judges decide based on previous crimes and history and level of crime. The system is similar to the US. Saudi has like 20-40 executions in a year. It shows that only a VERY small proportion of
    perpetrators get the death penalty. Compare that to ~100 executions in the US. Just follow the rules, and you'll be fine. No need to be the cool boy.

What was your question again?
    Are you a saudi yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard at all restaurants, men and women sit separately - is that true?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    if it is, how do couples eat together??

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can . Where did you hear that from?
    Interesting https://lostinriyadh.wordpress.com/2...et-alone-myth/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternalhinch)
    I've heard at all restaurants, men and women sit separately - is that true?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    if it is, how do couples eat together??
    At all restaurants there is a single section and a family section. Couples eat in privacy in the family section.

(Original post by Al-farhan)
    Are you a saudi yourself?
    No, i am not Saudi. I am not willing to give out any more info

See. It's just a myth. You can always see women here on sidewalks with headphones on and taking a stroll

ReputationRep:
    At all restaurants there is a single section and a family section. Couples eat in privacy in the family section.
    Thanks for clearing that up

ReputationRep:

No, i am not Saudi. I am not willing to give out any more info

See. It's just a myth. You can always see women here on sidewalks with headphones on and taking a stroll
    Come on dude,:bawling::cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    Come on dude,:bawling::cry2:
    Nope. All I can tell you is that I live in Saudi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    You wanna see my ankle? :perv:
    Please, by the mercy of Allah, have morals! Where is your male guardian??

ReputationRep:
    Nope. All I can tell you is that I live in Saudi
    I remember being in Saudi and it was so hot my nose started bleeding.

Luckily the security guard was kind enough to help me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Saudi Arabia is just a legitimised Islamic state.

The irony of dropping bombs on Isis and jumping into bed with the Saudis at the same time. :lol:
    Indeed. Increasingly we don't need Saudi Arabia; oil consumption is declining, the number of producers (particularly in America) is increasing and it's possible that with the ITER fusion power project (Europe is literally building the demo reactor now) we can transfer to electricity-powered cars.

The Saudis have blown most of their money on luxuries and their people are not well educated. They failed to bother to invest that stupendous amount of cash they earned on transforming their country into an advanced and enlightened state, and building up manufacturing and service industries. Many of their citizens are lazy and welfare-dependent, and many of the most crucial jobs (not just the migrant workers in construction etc) but in hospitals, in the electricity grid and in the oil industry have to be done by foreigners because their own citizens are simply incapable of doing the job (the heavy cost of keeping your citizens in stone-age ignorance).

It is a superstitious and backward country, so when world demand for oil declines permanently they will sink back into the desert nomadism from whence they emerged. And good riddance, I say.

In previous decades their oil was an important economic component; now Saudi Arabia can barely be considered an ally and in many ways is our enemy. Our interests have diverged completely; if Iran can throw off the shackles of superstitious Islamic fundamentalism, we should ally ourselves with the three democratic I's (Israel, Iran and India), and in the process rid ourselves of that equally duplicitous "ally" Pakistan. Both Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are duplicitous, they support Islamic fundamentalism and we have coddled them. I say less of the velvet glove and more of the iron fist. And if Pakistan starts responding to the West waking up to their duplicity by making noises about nukes falling into Al-Qaeda hands we should launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike on their nuclear storage areas and reactors. The West has allowed these fourth-rate countries to push us around as if we were some pitiful giant, as if we were the client state and not the other way around. Enough of this crap; both countries are a major impediment to peace and development in Mid East and South Asia and we shouldn't be bashful about yanking their chain

(Original post by Thutmose-III)
    The Saudis have blown most of their money on luxuries and their people are not well educated. It is a superstitious and backward country, so when world demand for oil declines permanently they will sink back into the desert nomadism from whence they emerged. And good riddance, I say.
    I doubt they could revert to the old way of life; the citizenry is much too accustomed to the easy, subsidised life. Before oil was discovered, it was easy to keep them in that state because that's how they had traditionally lived and didn't know any other standard of living was possible. They will likely get angry with the government, whose corruption they've tended to overlook until now, if their current standard of living drops significantly. Should be interesting to watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I doubt they could revert to the old way of life; the citizenry is much too accustomed to the easy, subsidised life. Before oil was discovered, it was easy to keep them in that state because that's how they had traditionally lived and didn't know any other standard of living was possible. They will likely get angry with the government, whose corruption they've tended to overlook until now, if their current standard of living drops significantly. Should be interesting to watch.
    The problem is that as much as they are accustomed to it, you can't buy iPhones and Toyota Land Cruisers if you don't have any money. I think the people will rise up and topple the House of Saud, but they will find they are really left with nothing after decades of oil revenue that should have been invested in the country and instead was spent (by the 3000 or so descendants of King Abdulaziz who are categorised as princes and are on the payroll; fancy that, he only lived a century ago and already has 3k descendants. The wonders of polygamy) on hookers and blow and a lifestyle for which the ordinary Saudi would be arrested (and bizarrely, the OP actually seems proud of that; he doesn't realise it will be his head on a pike when the popular revolution against the House of Saud begins)

The Saudi budget situation is so dire now, they've had to cut most of the welfare measures including bonuses promised by the new king upon his accession to the throne (buying their loyalty like a false, fleeting Roman emperor)

Check out this documentary if you haven't; I really take my hat off to ITV. It shows a side of Saudi Arabia that isn't often seen (slums with open sewers running through the streets; maybe these are the swimming pools the OP was bragging about :lol: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thutmose-III)
    The problem is that as much as they are accustomed to it, you can't buy iPhones and Toyota Land Cruisers if you don't have any money. I think the people will rise up and topple the House of Saud, but they will find they are really left with nothing after decades of oil revenue that should have been invested in the country and instead was spent (by the 3000 or so descendants of King Abdulaziz who are categorised as princes and are on the payroll; fancy that, he only lived a century ago and already has 3k descendants. The wonders of polygamy) on hookers and blow and a lifestyle for which the ordinary Saudi would be arrested (and bizarrely, the OP actually seems proud of that; he doesn't realise it will be his head on a pike when the popular revolution against the House of Saud begins)

The Saudi budget situation is so dire now, they've had to cut most of the welfare measures including bonuses promised by the new king upon his accession to the throne (buying their loyalty like a false, fleeting Roman emperor)

Check out this documentary if you haven't; I really take my hat off to ITV. It shows a side of Saudi Arabia that isn't often seen (slums with open sewers running through the streets; maybe these are the swimming pools the OP was bragging about :lol: )

I feel sorry for the Pakistanis who are being mistreated for being your slaves they were the ones who still house over a million Afghan refugees for decades and they are only paying the cost if fighting your war and secondly you suggest to ally with Israel and you are willing to overlook their inhumane acts as u did with Saudi's

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlvlVictim)
    I feel sorry for the Pakistanis who are being mistreated for being your slaves
    What on earth are you babbling about? You're making no sense. Do you have a fever?

they were the ones who still house over a million Afghan refugees for decades
    Those refugees could go home if Pakistan would stop supporting the Afghan Taliban and specifically the Haqqani network. The only reason the Afghan Taliban is still fighting is because of the support they receive from the Pakistani intelligence apparatus.

So exactly why am I supposed to feel bad for Pakistan when they have created the conditions that have led to those refugees having to stay away from their homeland?

As for "fighting the war", you seem to be confused. Didn't you know the Afghan Taliban and the Pakistani Taliban (Tehrek-i-Taliban Pakistan) are two different organisations? The Afghan Taliban, the one that used to control Afghanistan and was created in the 1990s, has sanctuary in Pakistan and receives supplies. The largest faction of the Afghan Taliban, the Haqqani Network, is a client of the Pakistani state.

The group that the Pakistanis are fighting, and which has conducted terror attacks against them, is the Pakistani Taliban (TTP) which was created in the 2000s. They are completely different organisations, though there's no question that Pakistan's decision to give safehaven to the Afghan Taliban in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) created the situation that led to the rise of TTP

But all of this is clearly at a level of detail far beyond your very superficial knowledge of that part of the world

secondly you suggest to ally with Israel and you are willing to overlook their inhumane acts as u did with Saudi's
    The idea that Israel is in any way comparable to Saudi Arabia is so laughable as to border on insanity. Israel is the only country in the Mid East where an Arab woman can walk out of her house in t-shirts and shorts, holding her lesbian lover's hand and walk down to the polling booth to cast a ballot for whoever she chooses.

The contrast to Saudi Arabia is so obvious it doesn't require further elaboration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mero22)
    No, do you think it's okay that a 15 year old was sentenced to death for protesting?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6776696.html
    lol I know this is an 'Ask me anything' thread but your questions are a bit ridiculous. Your questioning makes it seem like OP is personally responsible for all of this. No country is perfect and I'm almost certain the people in charge of your country have done some very questionable things too.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Unless I've missed the post where OP says he's a politician or has any influence on Saudi politics.

ReputationRep:
    No politics please
    How hot is it on an average day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Aww don't worry :hugs:
    I see one everyday, they're pretty ugly anyway :yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.