LSE 2017 Applicants

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gazebo99)
    GCSE's: 4A*, 6As,1B.
    AS: Only did Geography AS and got an A.
    (General Studies-B)
    Predicted grades- A*AA (Geo, Chem, Phys)
    Applying for IR at LSE. What are my chances?
    In terms of grades its looks good, but I dont know which subjects are useful for IR course, so I cant really judge.
    Im just guessing, but maybe if you had Politics or History it might have helped a bit more, but again I have no clue what people usually study before applying for IR at LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying for BSc Economics? If yes, what subjects are you studying? (with AS grades and Prediction if you are happy to share).

(Original post by DamnDaniel2)
    I got a C in English lang iGCSE and they require a B for English language. So shall I give up my dreams of going to LSE?
    Would the A in english lit be able to somehow substitute it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know a student who got a C in IGCSE english and now studies at the LSE but was never asked to sit IELTS. UK immigration waives this requirement for certain english speaking countries( see list below). The rules can change every year.

https://www.kent.ac.uk/ems/eng-lang-...countries.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fbiemad)
    You can retake the English, but you might be better off just doing IELTS after you recieve an offer.
    Your grades look fine, but the fact that 2 are on the "non-preferred" list makes it probably a weak application. Why doing ICT though? Should have done Economics or something along those lines maybe. You should contact LSE to ask. Good luck.
    Thank you so much for replying and for the advice. I'm annoyed at myself because I should of looked at the entry requirements before now. My college doesn't offer economics otherwise I would of probably done it instead of accounting. I'm such an idiot! The level of competitiveness is so high for that course that I think it's pretty impossible for me to get in. I contacted them and they pretty much said exactly what you said, that it would be a weak application.

ReputationRep:
    Dont have that much information on the course you are applying, but it really depends which subject you got those grades in, especially the C.
    If you want an honest opinion, real the spoiler. Good luck.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If the C is in an important subject, I recommend you not to apply as you might waste one of your choices. Also, remember that many students with higher predictions get rejected (dont know about your course though, but saying in general), so maybe its not worth wasting your choice on it if for your course its very competitive too. HOWEVER, if you have some safe options within your other 4 choices, then maybe give this one a go as your predictions meet the requirement.
    The C is in maths, so fairly important although I dropped that at A2. Thank you for your help, I suppose I may as well try as I have a couple of safer options.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know if you can substitute it, you can ask them.
    But getting a C in English doesnt mean they will 100% reject you. If you get accepted they will require an IELTS grade from you instead since your IGCSE English doesnt meet the requirement.
    But since I don't meet the requirement wouldn't it be more likely they reject me as they would probably want someone who meets the requirement for everything or exceeds them?

What is the IELTS exam like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got 10A*s at GCSE, AAA at AS level in Maths Geography and French (No economics AS level because of new linear course) and I am predicted A*A*A*+A in Maths Economics Geography and AS Further Maths

My maths UMS were:
    C1: 100
    C2: 90
    C3: 92
    M1: 96

How likely am I to get an offer for economics? My personal statement I think is decent I hope

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnDaniel2)
    But since I don't meet the requirement wouldn't it be more likely they reject me as they would probably want someone who meets the requirement for everything or exceeds them?

What is the IELTS exam like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    IELTS is easy if you have done English as First Language. Just practise a bit since it needs its own technique.
    Once again, do not worry about the english at all, worst case is that they will give you an IELTS condition instead of accepting your IGCSE English, nothing too serious.

ReputationRep:
    IELTS is easy if you have done English as First Language. Just practise a bit since it needs its own technique.
    Once again, do not worry about the english at all, worst case is that they will give you an IELTS condition instead of accepting your IGCSE English, nothing too serious.
    Ok thank you so much! That's a relief ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    I got 10A*s at GCSE, AAA at AS level in Maths Geography and French (No economics AS level because of new linear course) and I am predicted A*A*A*+A in Maths Economics Geography and AS Further Maths

My maths UMS were:

How likely am I to get an offer for economics? My personal statement I think is decent I hope

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

My maths UMS were:

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would say in terms of grade you are fine. Depends on the UMS/Perecentages though... (On French and Geography the % and on Maths the UMS of each module)
    I am not sure, but I think some Universities prefer you to do the AS even if it doesnt count towards A-Levels. LSE might be one of them, but I do not know. Because to be honest predictions are not always correct and its hard for them to know if for example your Economics is actually A* level or not. It would have been better if you did AS Economics exam.
    Also, it would have been slightly better if you did Further maths instead of the French, but this is not that big of a deal since you will be doing the AS further maths at least.

Overall I think you have good grades so you just have to wait and see if you will get an offer or not, since sometimes very strong applicants get rejected too. The wait for LSE to respond will be very long for many applicants so it will be tough... (Few will hear back early, but many hear back near the end)
    No one is guaranteed an offer for the top courses in top universities. Good luck.

Spoiler:
    Show
    By the way, retake your C3. The current grade is good and it wont harm you. I just mean retake it to be on the safe side for getting an A* in the end.

ReputationRep:
    I would say in terms of grade you are fine. Depends on the UMS/Perecentages though... (On French and Geography the % and on Maths the UMS of each module)
    I am not sure, but I think some Universities prefer you to do the AS even if it doesnt count towards A-Levels. LSE might be one of them, but I do not know. Because to be honest predictions are not always correct and its hard for them to know if for example your Economics is actually A* level or not. It would have been better if you did AS Economics exam.
    Also, it would have been slightly better if you did Further maths instead of the French, but this is not that big of a deal since you will be doing the AS further maths at least.

Overall I think you have good grades so you just have to wait and see if you will get an offer or not, since sometimes very strong applicants get rejected too. The wait for LSE to respond will be very long for many applicants so it will be tough... (Few will hear back early, but many hear back near the end)
    No one is guaranteed an offer for the top courses in top universities. Good luck.
    Okay thanks. I'm not sure if you're aware of the Linear A level system but there is no way I could've done an AS in economics; my school didn't offer it therefore I cannot be discriminated against for not having it surely.

It seems like overall you don't rate my chances too highly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks. I'm not sure if you're aware of the Linear A level system but there is no way I could've done an AS in economics; my school didn't offer it therefore I cannot be discriminated against for not having it surely.

It seems like overall you don't rate my chances too highly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I dont know that much about the new system. I thought colleges "can" take the AS but it just wont count towards your A-Levels. In my college the students did their AS even though it doesnt count towards their final grade. (For Economics)

No, I never said your chances are low.
    I said you have a good chance, but also depends on the % of your Geography and French (and also how LSE judges the students who didnt take the AS, but I do not know that much on this topic, hence I put it in a bracket). Your maths UMS are good enough.

Last year I saw many good students get rejected while students with slightly lower grades got accepted (rare, but I saw a few), which is why I said you have to wait and see what happens... You just have to wish for the best if it makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I dont know that much about the new system. I thought colleges "can" take the AS but it just wont count towards your A-Levels. In my college the students did their AS even though it doesnt count towards their final grade. (For Economics)

No, I never said your chances are low.
    I said you have a good chance, but also depends on the % of your Geography and French (and also how LSE judges the students who didnt take the AS, but I do not know that much on this topic, hence I put it in a bracket). Your maths UMS are good enough.

Last year I saw many good students get rejected while students with slightly lower grades got accepted (rare, but I saw a few), which is why I said you have to wait and see what happens... You just have to wish for the best if it makes sense.
    Yeh we had no option to sit an AS at the end of year 12 or any exam in economics for that matter,

I got 99 and 91 UMS in French and geography respectively btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeh we had no option to sit an AS at the end of year 12 or any exam in economics for that matter,

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats good.
    You should be fine then. (Again there is no threshold which gives you an offer if you pass it, so you never know. Personally I think you have a good chance.)

By the way, I am just asking this for my own information, but is French spoken in your country or did you learn it from scratch?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you already applied?

ReputationRep:
    Thats good.
    You should be fine then. (Again there is no threshold which gives you an offer if you pass it, so you never know. Personally I think you have a good chance.)

By the way, I am just asking this for my own information, but is French spoken in your country or did you learn it from scratch?
    Thanks, no I'm from the UK so not a native French speaker, I picked it up in year 9 and found it quite easy really!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you already applied?
    No I'll apply some time this coming week

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, no I'm from the UK so not a native French speaker, I picked it up in year 9 and found it quite easy really!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No I'll apply some time this coming week

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok.
    Same, I am planning to apply this week but I think I might have to apply the beginning of next week, so probably 3rd of October. Just need to do a few little changes on the PS and then everything is ready to go.

ReputationRep:
    Ok.
    Same, I am planning to apply this week but I think I might have to apply the beginning of next week, so probably 3rd of October. Just need to do a few little changes on the PS and then everything is ready to go.
    How are you feeling about your PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.