Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Shooting in gay club in Florida watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    What can we say? There have been so many terrible mass murders in the US involving civilians wielding weapons that no sane country would permit to be available or to be sold in stores as they are in America.

Our hearts go out to all those who will suffer as a result of this outrage. We should try to help Americans realise the misery they are repeatedly inflicting on themselves and the cruel culture they are encouraging by maintaining their attitude to guns as being something that anyone should own and be able to buy.

More will emerge no doubt, but at this stage it's difficult not to join the dots and wonder if Trump's racist and homophobic campaigning in Florida has opened a space in the minds of far right wing lunatics to think that this type of murderous attack on gay people is somehow justifiable.

We await developments, but how the heck anyone in America can go around thinking that the mass civilian ownership of killing weapons is acceptable is entirely beyond most of us on this side of the pond. We support all those in the US working against these wrong and bizarre interpretations of the Constitution and we long for an America based on peaceful values, not those of the jungle.
    Yes, it's all the fault of gun ownership and Trump. :facepalm:

I imagine the Paris attacks were also the fault of gun ownership and Trump?

ReputationRep:
    Donald Trump will be blamed somehow. Just watch.

What can we say? There have been so many terrible mass murders in the US involving civilians wielding weapons that no sane country would permit to be available or to be sold in stores as they are in America.

Our hearts go out to all those who will suffer as a result of this outrage. We should try to help Americans realise the misery they are repeatedly inflicting on themselves and the cruel culture they are encouraging by maintaining their attitude to guns as being something that anyone should own and be able to buy.

More will emerge no doubt, but at this stage it's difficult not to join the dots and wonder if Trump's racist and homophobic campaigning in Florida has opened a space in the minds of far right wing lunatics to think that this type of murderous attack on gay people is somehow justifiable.

We await developments, but how the heck anyone in America can go around thinking that the mass civilian ownership of killing weapons is acceptable is entirely beyond most of us on this side of the pond. We support all those in the US working against these wrong and bizarre interpretations of the Constitution and we long for an America based on peaceful values, not those of the jungle.
    Think they already confirmed it was a radical Islamist, why are you trying to pin this on Trump?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    Such laws didn't help in France or Belgium did they?
    I was going to mention France and the fact that the weapons used in the attack are illegal there. It's easy if you have terrorist links to get weapons no matter where in the world you are. Also ask any criminal organisation in this country as well. Piece of piss to get anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    For someone talking about joining the dots, you are surprisingly against linking Islam to terrorism.

I don't think Omar Mateen was a Trump supporter, somehow
    Mr Mateen was registered as a Democrat.

ReputationRep:

Yes it's trump and the far rights fault that a left winger decides to kill people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    I was going to mention France and the fact that the weapons used in the attack are illegal there. It's easy if you have terrorist links to get weapons no matter where in the world you are. Also ask any criminal organisation in this country as well. Piece of piss to get anything.
    On a separate note, if I remembered correctly, I think I read that you were leaning on staying in the EU?

If so, I find that amazing, as I agree with a lot of what you say, and your comments don't reflect a typical remain voter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    "As dangerous as this"

That doesn't mean there aren't issues. The LGBTQIA teen suicide rate is through the roof, gay people are still killed, hate crime is rife - there are a lot of issues people choose to ignore because they think laws mean everything.
    I'm not arguing against that. Of course there are issues. But when I first heard about this shooting, I was really really surprised because I just didn't believe that this could happen in America. I just didn't think there is enough hate towards gays in their society... and then I saw the perp was a Muslim and it all made sense.

ReputationRep:
    For someone talking about joining the dots, you are surprisingly against linking Islam to terrorism.

I don't think Omar Mateen was a Trump supporter, somehow
    Islamists are not immune to a hysterical right wing hate atmosphere, far from it.

I haven't pinned it on Trump, I was speculating that the way he is covered and the permissiveness the US media and the authorities have shown towards his racist and homophobic agendas have created a situation in which hate of all kinds is encouraged.

ReputationRep:
    A truly tolerant world citizen!
    Nutters + Guns always ends in tears.

ReputationRep:
    Islamists are not immune to a hysterical right wing hate atmosphere, far from it.

I haven't pinned it on Trump, I was speculating that the way he is covered and the permissiveness the US media and the authorities have shown towards his racist and homophobic agendas have created a situation in which hate of all kinds is encouraged.
    What homophobic agendas?

ReputationRep:
    Why is the BBC calling this 'Orlando shooting' and not 'Orlando terror attack?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I see. Perhaps Trump is also to blame for the gays pushed off roofs in the middle east? Perhaps ISIS itself is inspired by Trump?

I can't think of anything else that is inspiring them... and I'm 'joining the dots' all I can!
    I don't recall that Trump based himself in the Middle East, but he did in Florida. Perhaps you've forgotten that he also relentlessly campaigned there and made many of his most bigoted remarks from podiums in Florida.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Listers)
    The only people inciting hatred here are the radical muslims killing people they disagree with. Get your head out of the clouds and address them and not me for pointing out what they are doing
    You THINK you are helping.

Instead, you are just one of many catalysts, making the situation worse.

It's the typical doing the wrong thing for the right reason thing buddy - but I fully understand why you are angry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    What homophobic agendas?
    There's a good summary in this article.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ple-homophobia

ReputationRep:
    leave the EU

ReputationRep:

This really is clutching at straws to forward your anti-Trump agenda, and I am not even a fan of Trump. The guy was apparently a registered Democrat and I would be highly surprised if, given the current reports, he wasn't motivated by religious-based homophobia emanating from the Middle East rather than seeing Trump on TV (who for all his faults has never once come close to advocating direct hatred of gays or their murder).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Results)
    You THINK you are helping.

Instead, you are just one of many catalysts, making the situation worse.

It's the typical doing the wrong thing for the right reason thing buddy - but I fully understand why you are angry.
    I'm here to raise awareness of the problems with Islam

ReputationRep:
    there are problems with Islam, I myself am i muslim and can admit this

ReputationRep:
    Rip the 50 dead! x

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.