Newcastle Medical School 2017 Entry

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Due to the mean scores being published today at 1893, does anyone have any more information/advice on what they suspect the cut off could be for medicine at Newcastle???

ReputationRep:
    Guys is 717 average score worth it to apply for GEM at Newcastle...?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully the cut off isn't higher than 710

ReputationRep:
    What are all your A-Levels like?

And is anyone studying in NCL already/a NCL grad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nickynjoe)
    Due to the mean scores being published today at 1893, does anyone have any more information/advice on what they suspect the cut off could be for medicine at Newcastle???
    I reckon around 730 again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nautic4l)
    How can you say that though? There is absolutely no way of knowing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eidchloe1303)
    VR: 590
    QR:700
    AR: 640
    so total of 1930 which is awful
    Band 1 in SJ which I'm happy about but does Newcastle even look at that?
    My gcse grades aren't the best either with 5 A's and 6 B's. Currently have predicted A's in my a levels but I really wanted to get an interview for Newcastle but there is no way ill even be considered with that ukcat score
    Is the ukcat literally all that Newcastle looks at for interviews? I dont know what to do
    You should still stand a good chance and consider applying considering that the averages have gone down to 1893 which puts you in the higher half of applicants

ReputationRep:
    Definitely won't be that for undergraduate entry. Maybe for their GEP, though, but I believe there is a separate thread for that.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the entry requirements for graduates for A100 is the same as A101? For their 4 year course (A101), they only look at your university degree and UKCAT score rather than your A Levels.

Unfortunately, I did not take A Level Chemistry so I don't believe I would meet the standard A100 requirements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SB001)
    Does anyone know if the entry requirements for graduates for A100 is the same as A101? For their 4 year course (A101), they only look at your university degree and UKCAT score rather than your A Levels.

Unfortunately, I did not take A Level Chemistry so I don't believe I would meet the standard A100 requirements?
    If you got AAA including biology at A level you need an A in GCSE chemistry.
    "if only one of Biology and/or Chemistry is offered at A or AS level, the other should be offered at GCSE grade A (or Dual Award Science grade A)."

ReputationRep:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...162017_for_a10

Last years was 682, the average has gone down this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Docjones1)
    If you got AAA including biology at A level you need an A in GCSE chemistry.
    "if only one of Biology and/or Chemistry is offered at A or AS level, the other should be offered at GCSE grade A (or Dual Award Science grade A)."
    I'm a graduate applying to the undergrad course (who happens to be doing my undergrad at ncl already!) and they don't look at your a levels at all if you have a degree. What's your degree in? If it's not Chem inclusive or science based it'd be best to call the admissions team and have a chat to them. Don't worry, they're super friendly! 🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AZ98)

To be honest it has nothing to do with the national average. It's all based on the scores of those who apply to Newcastle...if everyone who applies has 800+ then the cut off will be 800+ even if the national average is 500. Obviously that's a hugely exaggerated number but you see my point.

Just chill out and make your own decisions; don't listen to fear mongering and speculation and remember that most people on here who are willing to post their score have a high one. It's all in the lap of the gods really 🙂

ReputationRep:
    What are all your A-Levels like?

And is anyone studying in NCL already/a NCL grad?
    I'm just finishing up my Biomed degree at Newcastle; applying to stay here for my medical degree. I'm pretty well versed in all the admin procedures/policies so if you've got any questions about that or about the uni/med school/anything else then just ask! 🙂

ReputationRep:
    It was never 730...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SB001)

They look at your highest level qualification, so just your degree would suffice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wg2398)
    Hi, I'd love to apply for Newcastle but not sure whether it's worth it or not as my UKCAT isn't great?
    GCSE's: 9A* and 3A
    AS results: AAAA (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Religious Studies)
    UKCAT: 650 average (VR 530, QR 710, AR 700, SJT Band 2)

Would it be a wasted application or would I stand a chance of an interview? Thanks!
    Probably a waste, wouldn't risk it it with a UKCAT sub 700

ReputationRep:
    Could I apply here with 683 UKCAT band 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harpal10)
    Could I apply here with 683 UKCAT band 1
    I reckon youd be in for a chance but it wouldnt be a safe bet....no way of telling who's applying with what UKCAT but i'm being cautiously optimistic as the overall average has dropped this year. Remember, they dont look at SJT so it doesnt matter what band you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AZ98)

(Original post by Member1995)
    It was never 730...
    Talking about A101 sorry!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.