Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm loving the sensible, mature debate we're having here. Very civilised.

ReputationRep:
    Also it's kinda hypocritical of those of you who voted to remove Ray as speaker to use the exams excuse
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    I'm loving the sensible, mature debate we're having here. Very civilised.
    It's usually better than this, I promise xD

(Original post by cBay)
    Also it's kinda hypocritical of those of you who voted to remove Ray as speaker to use the exams excuse
    To be fair, it was a private poll though, so you can't assume people using that reason voted Ray out

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the fence about this one, as someone who is nearing end of their exam period, I would accept the delay as a legit excuse. I also despise the use of the MONC/VONC in all forms and don't think any of the previous ones were justified (Lab minority and Lib/Lab spring to mind)

The hypocrisy stinks, and by the low bar by which we we now judge a MONC this is valid.

I do agree with all the concerns, the response to the CC was very arrogant and petulent, I'm sceptical about the activity of the Nat Libs, Govt output IS poor, progress on the budget is questionable.

Petros makes the point that take exams out of the picture and the VONC is fair. Because of how much I detest all these VONCs I largely agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Definitely agree here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Is it not a question of desperation but rather a motion to remove a completely incompetent Government from power.
    The tories are not incompetent, they are just self-concerned opportunist. The conservatives aren't so much politicians as just businessmen, using the system and its laws to their own advantage. And quite frankly I'm surprised that the electorate can't see that because it doesn't stop some incompetent voter a member of the working class votes for them because their too ignorant to see through the ********.

And another thing, if the United kingdom votes to stay in the European Union dictatorship on June the 23rd, it will confirm all my suspicions that the electorate hasn't got a ****ing clue.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    I'm on the fence about this one, as someone who is nearing end of their exam period, I would accept the delay as a legit excuse. I also despise the use of the MONC/VONC in all forms and don't think any of the previous ones were justified (Lab minority and Lib/Lab spring to mind)

The hypocrisy stinks, and by the low bar by which we we now judge a MONC this is valid.

I do agree with all the concerns, the response to the CC was very arrogant and petulent, I'm sceptical about the activity of the Nat Libs, Govt output IS poor, progress on the budget is questionable.

Petros makes the point that take exams out of the picture and the VONC is fair. Because of how much I detest all these VONCs I largely agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, because obviously the follow up to the crisis was totally reasonable...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Yes, because obviously the follow up to the crisis was totally reasonable...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Plausible (a bit exaggerated, but plausible) and your response was that you don't give a ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Plausible (a bit exaggerated, but plausible) and your response was that you don't give a ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And it totally makes sense for the government to say "here you go RoI, take Northern Ireland"

And of course it makes sense for the response to talks being "there should have been talks"

ReputationRep:
    And it totally makes sense for the government to say "here you go RoI, take Northern Ireland"

And of course it makes sense for the response to talks being "there should have been talks"
    Am I right that you didn't actually give an official response to the CC follow up?

ReputationRep:
    Man wakes up to a MoNC... Is this deja vu or what?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Quamquam123 I'm disappointed. If you're going to do something then let it not be so half cocked. By posting the MoNC during exam season you have let the government have an excuse that many will be empathetic to and as such you've wasted your opportunity. I'd only hope that should this motion fail you yourself find yourself at the end of a MoNC for failing to bring your party into government when the government probably has let itself down in terms of activity. That's not to say that our lack of activity isn't justified, as has been said plenty of times, it's exam season.

Nay to this motion.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Am I right that you didn't actually give an official response to the CC follow up?
    No, it was unanimously agreed thst it was absurd and solely to push an Irish nationalist agenda and thus had descended to the absurdity of the previous crises and not worth dignifying with a formal response.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    I hadn't thought of that lol

Tbh I made a crappy choice, I should have stayed to protect my place at least - revision is so overrated.

ReputationRep:
    No, it was unanimously agreed thst it was absurd and solely to push an Irish nationalist agenda and thus had descended to the absurdity of the previous crises and not worth dignifying with a formal response.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's outrageous. So in other words, no response to a government response to a crisis is acceptable, because you must be 100% right.

The government had an OK initial response, but your response to the follow up rather than react to the new situation was to accuse it of bias. The point is to challenge the govt and force them to make a choice that ultimately has consequences. If you can't accept consequences don't play.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    That's outrageous. So in other words, no response to a government response to a crisis is acceptable, because you must be 100% right.

The government had an OK initial response, but your response to the follow up rather than react to the new situation was to accuse it of bias. The point is to challenge the govt and force them to make a choice that ultimately has consequences. If you can't accept consequences don't play.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No

Given the whole point of the crisis seemed to be to try to get NI to be handed over to the RoI via a crisis apparently written by a known nationalist it did not deserve a response. There is not getting it right and then there is only being able to get it wrong because of an agenda being pushed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Quamquam123 I'm disappointed. If you're going to do something then let it not be so half cocked. By posting the MoNC during exam season you have let the government have an excuse that many will be empathetic to and as such you've wasted your opportunity. I'd only hope that should this motion fail you yourself find yourself at the end of a MoNC for failing to bring your party into government when the government probably has let itself down in terms of activity. That's not to say that our lack of activity isn't justified, as has been said plenty of times, it's exam season.

Nay to this motion.
    Not exam season for me. :dance:

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

ReputationRep:
    The Government: "We've got no time to write legislation because of exams." *spends all night fussing over the size of the shadow cabinet*
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    The Government: "We've got no time to write legislation because of exams." *spends all night fussing over the size of the shadow cabinet*
    :laugh:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.