The Student Room Group

Maths year 11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by 34908seikj
"I just need an explanation for this not the answers thank you xxx "

Lol X =1.5 Y = 2

Can you do a few example questions on reciprocal of indices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Yasss thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trust me you can do this! With practice you'll be there with maths in no time. Just do plenty of papers now (and throughout Year 11) however the biggest mistake you can make is doing papers without 1) marking them actively and 2) correcting them.

Read the mark schemes for the questions you get wrong and follow the exam board's line of working understanding as you go along (this is active marking). Then go ahead and cover both the mark scheme and your old working and try doing the question again on a fresh piece of paper and marking.

Maybe you would want to try re-attempting the question 20-30 minutes after you read the mark scheme and understand it in order to ensure its sunk it and you're not regurgitating from your short term memory!

Hope I could help! :smile:
Original post by z_o_e
Can you do a few example questions on reciprocal of indices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean the graph of a reciprocal? I'm not too sure what you mean?

Left is what I think you mean, on the right is a wild guess of what you could mean, considering you were just revising graphs.

can you just point out which one you mean :biggrin:

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 143
Original post by yepthatsme
Trust me you can do this! With practice you'll be there with maths in no time. Just do plenty of papers now (and throughout Year 11) however the biggest mistake you can make is doing papers without 1) marking them actively and 2) correcting them.

Read the mark schemes for the questions you get wrong and follow the exam board's line of working understanding as you go along (this is active marking). Then go ahead and cover both the mark scheme and your old working and try doing the question again on a fresh piece of paper and marking.

Maybe you would want to try re-attempting the question 20-30 minutes after you read the mark scheme and understand it in order to ensure its sunk it and you're not regurgitating from your short term memory!

Hope I could help! :smile:

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :yy::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 144
Do you mean the graph of a reciprocal? I'm not too sure what you mean?

Left is what I think you mean, on the right is a wild guess of what you could mean, considering you were just revising graphs.

can you just point out which one you mean :biggrin:

Lol :smile:
You know Indices.

Like this...
Could you do a few examples on number 4 and 5 pleasee ":smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Lol :smile:
You know Indices.

Like this...
Could you do a few examples on number 4 and 5 pleasee ":smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/GCSE%20Revision/GCSE%20Maths%20Takeaway/4.%20Grades%20B%20to%20A-star/94_fractional-and-negative-indices.pdf

Have a look through this - it has tons of questions. I don't have time to write up questions (I'm a little busy right now), but I'll be able to help you with them if you get stuck or any answers you want checking.
Reply 146
http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/GCSE%20Revision/GCSE%20Maths%20Takeaway/4.%20Grades%20B%20to%20A-star/94_fractional-and-negative-indices.pdf

Have a look through this - it has tons of questions. I don't have time to write up questions (I'm a little busy right now), but I'll be able to help you with them if you get stuck or any answers you want checking.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH♥♥

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 147

When you're free and done can explain these please? Or anyone just need at least an example and understanding of the wording.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
When you're free and done can explain these please? Or anyone just need at least an example and understanding of the wording.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here's how I would a approach that question.

Reply 149
Here's how I would a approach that question.

Will do this after indices.
So I got how to do the others but not the fractional ones.

I did them like this. The red ones I got wrong. The rest were right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For those that are saying do past papers you have to remember that if you are currently in year 10 like me then we will do the new GCSE's in 2017 which means there are no past papers to do.
Original post by z_o_e
Will do this after indices.
So I got how to do the others but not the fractional ones.

I did them like this. The red ones I got wrong. The rest were right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 153

Hmmm it's the fractional powers.
Those are the hard ones.

Where does the 2 and 1 go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Hmmm it's the fractional powers.
Those are the hard ones.

Where does the 2 and 1 go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A number to the power of 1/2 is the same as that number square rooted

So if 1/2 = the square root, then 1/3 = cube root, etc...

Now lets say, a number to the power of 2/3, it would be the cubic root of that number squared.
Reply 156

How's this?

How would I do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
How's this?

How would I do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The first question you wrote, are you sure that's a 7?
Reply 158
The first question you wrote, are you sure that's a 7?

I made that question up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
How's this?

How would I do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest