Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    All I was doubting myself because Zacken said I didn't originall estimate 99 / 70 / 60 (I actually said 61 instead but whatever).

But I still think that is my best guess to date: 99 / 70 / 60. I'm also not sure comparing only to 2010 onwards is right either. Especially if Q1 and Q3 were easy then I think that is a reasonable guess.
    I didn't think Q 1 was super easy, and Q 3 required more creativity than typical easy questions. That said, I think your estimates might be slightly too low if anything, I'd say maybe 71-75 for a 1. I don't really know though.

ReputationRep:
    Could somebody predict my mark:
    I managed question three but my reason for the even case was wrong.
    I did the integral question but didn't manage the last integral.
    I managed questions 9 and 10.
    I did question 12 but got the final part incorrect.
    I did the question about approximating the sum of 1/x^2 and 1/x^4 which I think was right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    But I still think that is my best guess to date: 99 / 70 / 60. I'm also not sure comparing only to 2010 onwards is right either. Especially if Q1 and Q3 were easy then I think that is a reasonable guess.
    I hope you're correct. Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewanclementson)
    I did the question about approximating the sum of 1/x^2 and 1/x^4 which I think was right.
    18, 15, 20, 20, 17, 20 by the sounds of it (if the last question was a full). Certainly an S.

ReputationRep:
    Q8 Solution
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... I think I made really strange things at Q6. Attached my solution for the (iv) part

Name:  TSR.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  499.5 KB

For overall I solved completely Q1, Q3, Q4, Q5. I did this at Q6 and started Q7 but only reached the (i) part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewanclementson)
    Q9: Could you go back to page 4 and check if the solution I posted is correct or not? Also, did the question ask for b and c in terms of a, m, M, and u, and NOT R, m, M, and u?

ReputationRep:
    What was Q11? I'm sure I did it, but I can't remember what it was.

Edit: Ooh, was it particles? Bullet fired from the top of a tower, target fired from the ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farryharnworth)
    What was Q11? I'm sure I did it, but I can't remember what it was.

Edit: Ooh, was it particles? Bullet fired from the top of a tower, target fired from the ground.
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    I cant find the question paper? Can someone post a link to it please

ReputationRep:
    q3 Solution
    Spoiler:
    Show

(there can't be any repeated roots, because for any root x, f'_n(x) is -(x^n)/n!, which is only 0 for x = 0. But x = 0 is clearly not a root.)

mall mistake in part (iii), the n! should be (n!)^2

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, has nobody got a copy of the paper? I want to get my teeth into it over the weekend!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Q10.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  302.5 KBHere is my solution to Q10; a real gem of a question (both short and easy).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    q3 Solution
    Spoiler:
    Show

(there can't be any repeated roots, because for any root x, f'_n(x) is -(x^n)/n!, which is only 0 for x = 0. But x = 0 is clearly not a root.)

mall mistake in part (iii), the n! should be (n!)^2
    Exactly how i did the question with explanation on the complex roots aswell with some justification odd degree polynomials have atleast 1 root hence exactly 1 since this has atmost one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Exactly how i did the question with explanation on the complex roots aswell with some justification odd degree polynomials have atleast 1 root hence exactly 1 since this has atmost one.
    awesum

Yeah I was trying to be succinct in the solution, in the exam I was more careful. I think you might need to mention that there can't be repeated roots, though.

ReputationRep:
    $x$

ReputationRep:
    Anyone willing to estimate my marks?

1) (Curve C1 and C2 one) Done completely.
    3) (f_n(x) polynomial one) Got all of it, except at the very end I didn't explain why f_n(x)=0 has 0 roots if n is even and 1 root if odd (I just stated that there's 0 roots if n even and 1 root if n odd).
    4) Got all of it except I couldn't find x and tan(theta) in part (iii).
    6) (Differential Equation one) Got all of it except part (iii).
    8) (Approximating sum from r=1 to r=infinity of 1/r^2 and 1/r^4) Done completely.
    9) (Bullet and block mechanics one) Done completely... BUT at the last part, I had b and c in terms of R, m, M, and u. I've heard one person saying the question asked for b and c in terms of a, m, M and u, and multiple people saying it didn't ask for this. Eliminating R in place of a just involved substituting in R = 1/2 * mu^2/a; but I'll assume the question DID ask for b and c in terms of a, m, M and u.

ReputationRep:
    Q5 STEP II Solution
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  q5stepii.png
Views: 475
Size:  28.5 KB

Correction: (1-x)^(m+n) should be (1+x)^(m+n) in part ii

ReputationRep:
    Q7
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Solution to Q12
    Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.