Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Decided to leave Islam after Orlando attack. AMA. Watch

ReputationRep:
    You probably wasnt in Islam anyway and if you was it was the attacks that made you leave Islam as u say this so nochantly it looks to me like you were kinda out anyway. Leaving a religion is a big thing, certainly not one you create AMA about immediately after. And the guy did it because he was gay himself mostly not because of Islam- links with Isis are not clear.

BTW dont reply to me- Im busy to reply to any comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    But why are so many of you muslims so ****ing rude on here? So us making a few critics on Islam all of a sudden makes us ignorant? Sounds like you are the ignorant one, crying over a few critics. Pardon me for you thinking that Islam is an absolute perfect religion when it isn't.
    When you're passionate about something, and it gets attacked, you defend it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And Muslims do not wish death on gay people- the Quran like as many other relgious books condemns the act- but are you missing the verses about love and equality and only Allah can judge whter an act is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    The guy was NOT Muslim.

If you had done any research on the incident you would know he was a GAY himself + the police shot a number of people too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    wasnt the killer gay himself lol

werent the killings due to his hatred of self?... he was found to have multiple homosexual relationships, an avid drinker, have multiple gay dating apps, he murdered those people in the night club as he was a regular there and loather the happiness of others.

if you leave islam, you leave it because of a decision made by yourself, uninfluenced by another persons actions, that's just pathetic
    The first paragraph is true absolutely, but i think what the OP was getting at is that many Muslims don't condemn the killing of homosexuals, or certainly don't treat them equally. Survey after survey has shown that an alarming amount of Muslims are very much anti LGBT and anyone who's brother is gay but also is part of the community would understandably feel very uncomfortable with that.

and calling someone pathetic for a decision you probably know virtually nothing about is just nasty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silvercloud6)
    Many things in islam ' like the verses in the holy Quran are taken out of context and downright radicalized . Even some muslims due to lack of knowledge take things out of context and pin them as absolutes . yes homosexuality is forbidden in our religion but it doesnt permit the killing of other souls so mindlessly . these killings are brutal and those who do that should be punished . thus its those people that should be looked down upon not the religion. Many muslims who tuely follow it are truely peaceful , its just because of some non true muslims we get radicalized and criticized .
    But it DOES say somewhere in the quran that killing homosexuals is allowed. Which is why whenever they kill a gay person, they verify their actions with the quran.

ReputationRep:
    I know that those aren't the exact word which is why I didn't add quotations.

I posted a link earlier about hurting other people in Islam and I'll forward it to you when I find it again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pelaitsc45)
    How the **** can you say it's a religion of peace after this shooting and the countless other terrorist attacks in the name of Allah.

Jesus christ, it's not only disrespectful, but downright stupid.
    Maybe because these "Muslims" use Islam as an excuse to murder?
    Maybe because these "Muslims" don't actually understand Islam?
    Maybe because the shooter was not religious at all and was gay and the attack had nothing to do with Islam?
    🤔
    Jesus christ, it's not only disrespectful, but downright stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am Iron Man)
    When you're passionate about something, and it gets attacked, you defend it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And be ****ing rude about it too, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    wasnt the killer gay himself lol

werent the killings due to his hatred of self?... he was found to have multiple homosexual relationships, an avid drinker, have multiple gay dating apps, he murdered those people in the night club as he was a regular there and loather the happiness of others.

if you leave islam, you leave it because of a decision made by yourself, uninfluenced by another persons actions, that's just pathetic
    And where did his internalised homophobia come from? You act as if it came out of thin air. Muslim communities are extremely homophobic and the religion is very vocal in its opposition to homosexuality. Rates of homelessness and suicide among Muslim LGBT youth are statistically higher than other groups due to discrimination from their own communities, and you have the audacity to write something so ignorant as to suggest that the killings were due to 'self hatred' that had nothing to do with the religion? There are many gay people who struggle to come to terms with their sexuality, but they don't resolve to killing 50 innocent people. There was much more to this than a bit of self-loathing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Results)
    The guy was NOT Muslim.

If you had done any research on the incident you would know he was a GAY himself + the police shot a number of people too.
    Can he not be gay and muslim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    Can he not be gay and muslim?
    I am not religious.

Usually, when someone goes against a "major?" principle in a religion it's contradictory to say you still follow the religion, right?

He said himself, he wasn't religious. He just went by with that religion as a title.

ReputationRep:
    That is your choice, but there are extremists in every religion/group - it doesn't mean that you have to be one of them. Religion is what you make of it, so you can still be Muslim but not take all of the things in the Quran literally, or support those things at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Results)
    I am not religious.

Usually, when someone goes against a "major?" principle in a religion it's contradictory to say you still follow the religion, right?

He said himself, he wasn't religious. He just went by with that religion as a title.
    It's a valid point, but then there are plenty of LBGT+ muslims out there who consider themselves no less muslim than any other (and do not consider sexuality to be one of the "major" principles).

I am rather confused why he bothered claiming he was fighting for ISIS if he wasn't religious/muslim, but then he sounds like he was a very deranged person who hated himself and took that hate out on others.

Not that other muslims should be blamed or punished for his actions, any more than I should be punished if some non-religious person shoots a bunch of people.

ReputationRep:
    the holy Quran is a very intellectual book and you have to read the whole surah and deeply know its interpretation to know what Allah is truely saying. People without any context and understanding chop of quotes and flare it around which confuses many people , especially the non muslims and this makes muslims appear violent . However there is a meaning , a story , a lesson which can only be found if people verify the quote and read the whole part from where the quote is taken and take time to research and reflect on it . If you want to know more I would urge you to watch videos and lectures on islam and the Quran by eminent muslim scholars like Dr. Zakir Nayak and Nouman Ali Khan . It will help to clear the doubts.
    :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I'm sorry, I CANNOT take you seriously if you think Zakir Naik is trustworthy and should be listened to! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    It's a valid point, but then there are plenty of LBGT+ muslims out there who consider themselves no less muslim than any other (and do not consider sexuality to be one of the "major" principles).

I am rather confused why he bothered claiming he was fighting for ISIS if he wasn't religious/muslim, but then he sounds like he was a very deranged person who hated himself and took that hate out on others.

Not that other muslims should be blamed or punished for his actions, any more than I should be punished if some non-religious person shoots a bunch of people.
    ISIS (terrorist groups in general) do tend to target vulnerable people. In this case, I wouldn't be surprised if he was told he'd have to kill gay people to redeem himself (since he was gay too).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    the holy Quran is a very intellectual book and you have to read the whole surah and deeply know its interpretation to know what Allah is truely saying. People without any context and understanding chop of quotes and flare it around which confuses many people , especially the non muslims and this makes muslims appear violent . However there is a meaning , a story , a lesson which can only be found if people verify the quote and read the whole part from where the quote is taken and take time to research and reflect on it . If you want to know more I would urge you to watch videos and lectures on islam and the Quran by eminent muslim scholars like Dr. Zakir Nayak and Nouman Ali Khan . It will help to clear the doubts.
    "Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: If you find anyone doing as Lot's people did, kill the one who does it, and the one to whom it is done."

http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religiou...t.php#038.4447

Depends on how much weight you place in the Hadiths, though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macsalaama)
    ISIS (terrorist groups in general) do tend to target vulnerable people. In this case, I wouldn't be surprised if he was told he'd have to kill gay people to redeem himself (since he was gay too).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Entirely possible. I had also considered that much of his self hate over his homosexuality could come from it widely being considered banned in Islam. But given there are plenty of atheists who struggle with their sexuality and there is no evidence to suggest this it would be complete speculation. He also was apparently non-religious, but whether that is because he didn't care or because he didn't feel he deserved it we'll likely never know.

Regardless even if his decision to kill was rooted in his beliefs, it is no reason to tarnish anyone else who shares his faith (but not his beliefs).

ReputationRep:
    really why so? I have seen some lectures of his and many people follow his lectures . Well can you tell me why . i would really like to know .
    I shall jump into this on nucdev's behalf.

Just because many people follow someone's lectures does not make them credible.

And in reply, do you really think what he says here makes him credible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-mHAI6k0do

ReputationRep:
    100% troll don't fall for it guys

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.