Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Labour MP Jo Cox killed in shooting incident in West Yorkshire Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    It's respectful because an innocent woman has died and using her death to debate about the referendum is just disgusting. It's also better because we would see more information on what happened after 24 hours had passed, and we wouldn't be basing our ideas on unreliable sources.

Please, respect her, and her children, at this horrible time.
    I'm completely outraged by her murder so stop telling me what I can and can't say about it.

An eyewitness heard him shouting 'Britain First', hence the discussion about that. Stop trying to censor it. If it turns out to be false, fair enough.

If your motives are good, that's fine, but to all those far-right people who infest TSR, trying to stop discussion at this time, my best advice to you all is to **** off.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    This is so sad. Her poor children! I really hope this wasn't politically motivated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    We're all used to fairly robust but still fairly intelligent discussions with you, but for once, wind your ****ing neck in.

The woman's barely even cold and all you can do is bloviate and spout **** that, at best, is in extremely poor taste, and at worse is barely human.

The woman has died. Her young children have been left without a mother and all you can do is bleat on about conspiracy theories.

Seriously, just shut up.

You're doing yourself no favours and only make yourself look like a compete idiot.
    Of course it's incredibly horrible and sad, but I see the reverse going on here - potentially this was a far right fanatic murder of a leading politician and the usual suspects on TSR don't want that discussing.

Alternatively we just stop talking about it altogether, but if the thread is continuing, it's legitimate to talk about why this has happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    We're all used to fairly robust but still fairly intelligent discussions with you, but for once, wind your ****ing neck in.

The woman's barely even cold and all you can do is bloviate and spout **** that, at best, is in extremely poor taste, and at worse is barely human.

The woman has died. Her young children have been left without a mother and all you can do is bleat on about conspiracy theories.

Seriously, just shut up.

You're doing yourself no favours and only make yourself look like a compete idiot.
    Hmm, I wonder if you'll react the same away next time an attack by a member of another certain group occurs and there are 5,000 threads on here within thirty seconds

ReputationRep:
    :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I know. Could you imagine if sky had an owner who was massively pro-leave like say Rupert Murdoch? Oh wait...
    Yeah, because the Sun says we should leave means that's what he wants.

Sky are Cameron's ***** anyway.

ReputationRep:
    This is so sad All this stuff about the EU referendum is clearly getting out of hand ... How has this managed to happen in the middle of the day?:cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemGod007)
    This is so sad. Jo was an amazing campaigner for Syrian refugees. 100% agree with A Mysterious Lord noone should try and politicize this terrible incident. RIP Jo
    It is, of course, terrible news. And I abhor some of the more blatant attempts to spin it (like Maria Eagle tweeting within about 2 hours of the attack this "Britain First" claim).

But this attack is political. Pretty much everything that happens in the public sphere is political, and particularly an armed attack on an elected representative of the public. All such incidents will have political implications, even if the attacker is a complete nutter with no ideological motivation, because it will have implications for police poiicy, mental health policy (and all policy questions have a political dimension) etc. If it turns out he did say "Britain First" and that he was linked to the group, that too will be political because there may be calls for it to be banned as a terrorist organisation.

As I said, the more blatant attempts to spin it in the very immediate aftermath are in poor taste. But attempting to shut down debate and considerations of the implications of the incident by claiming it is "politicisation" seems equally manipulative.

ReputationRep:
    Just live within a mile from where it happened.
    RIP Jo Cox.😞

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Of course it's incredibly horrible and sad, but I see the reverse going on here - potentially this was a far right fanatic murder of a leading politician and the usual suspects on TSR don't want that discussing.

Alternatively we just stop talking about it altogether, but if the thread is continuing, it's legitimate to talk about why this has happened.
    I'm completely outraged by her murder so stop telling me what I can and can't say about it.

An eyewitness heard him shouting 'Britain First', hence the discussion about that. Stop trying to censor it. If it turns out to be false, fair enough.

If your motives are good, that's fine, but to all those far-right people who infest TSR, trying to stop discussion at this time, my best advice to you all is to **** off.
    A number of eyewitnesses have disputed the "Britain First" claim.
    Newspapers have removed the claim from their articles and their headlines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    A number of eyewitnesses have disputed the "Britain First" claim.
    Newspapers have removed the claim from their articles and their headlines.
    OK, we'll see. The Yorkshire Post, which is closest to what's going on there, says "witnesses" plural heard it.
    http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...rary-1-7967886

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    You wouldn't be questioning this if the attacker shouted "allahu akbar". Have some respect.
    Sorry but 'Aamir Tahir of The Dry Clean Centre', the messenger of a 'lady he works with', is not a very reliable source. I think I'll wait for more information before I come to the conclusion the shooter is affiliated with Britain First.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know nothing has been confirmed about the attacker shouting "Britain First".

ReputationRep:
    RIP Jo Cox, Labour MP

Thoughts and prayers go out to her husband, children and the rest of her family.

What is so horrifying is not just that she was killed whilst exercising democracy (she was about to hold a surgery), but the brutal way she was killed is so sad.

ReputationRep:
    OK, we'll see. The Yorkshire Post, which is closest to what's going on there, says "witnesses" plural heard it.
    It wasn't confirmed during the police statement/talk, and there's videos of eyewitnesses denying it.

ReputationRep:
    This is both a tragedy and an absolute disgrace. Apparently we're now the kind of country that has political killings.

We could do without morons of all political persuasions trying to claim this as some kind of conspiracy to be honest.

ReputationRep:

An eye witness also heard multiple shooters in Orlando.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Hmm, I wonder if you'll react the same away next time an attack by a member of another certain group occurs and there are 5,000 threads on here within thirty seconds
    If and when it's confirmed that the attack is by a "member of another certain community", then have at it. Until then, nobody should kick in with conspiracy theories that border on the moronic.

Suggesting that UKIP made him do it?! That's just idiotic.

I'm from Yorkshire. Don't trust the Yorkshire post, its not good journalism.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Conservative and disagree with this MP's views but it is still sad that she died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    This is both a tragedy and an absolute disgrace. Apparently we're now the kind of country that has political killings.

We could do without morons of all political persuasions trying to claim this as some kind of conspiracy to be honest.
    You have no idea if it's a conspiracy or not.

We shouldn't try and shut down any lines of enquiry or thinking about it - we don't know everything yet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.