Turn on thread page Beta

What browser do you use? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have 25 different browsers installed (I have 9 different products, and lots of different versions of them)

I use Opera for almost everything, I love it. It's small, fast, yet it includes everything.

Firefox is small and fast, but doesn't include everything (all those extensions -- which stop it from being small!). But when it's finished it will probably be much better.

Mozilla is good too, not as fast as Opera but still a good browser.

I avoid Internet Explorer, I don't want the worry of the insecurities within (plus it's 5 times slower than the rest, on a good day, and hasn't got any features).

I like Opera because it's fast, secure, very configurable, clean, has an integrated mail, news, RSS (newsfeed) etc and IRC client. And loads of other neat stuff. They were first with the tabbed browsing too, and I prefer Opera's tabbed browsing to FireFox's or Mozilla's. Not sure why it's together with Netscape in that poll though. And where are Konqueror and Safari?

http://www.opera.com/
    http://www.mozilla.org/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    I used Firefox, but didn't really see the huge diff, so I use IE. Stuff like this doesn't bother me at all.
    Ever had a virus? Or some spyware?

Forget the tabbed browsing and so on, the number one reason not to use IE is the security, full stop.

Did Firefox not seem any faster than IE? Perhaps you have a dial-up connection, in which case try Opera, in my experience it's faster on dial up than firefox (they're so close as makes no difference on broadband. Opera and Firefox I mean, they're still faster than IE).

ReputationRep:
    IE6 is just easier to use.....others just annoy webmasters....

ReputationRep:
    If it's a good website, it'll be fine. Almost all other sites are also fine.

There are a few that aren't. Then it's the webmaster not doing his job properly. IE annoys webmasters more than the other browsers, because IE has more bugs. Firefox and opera especially do exactly what you tell them, 99.9% of the time. IE does it maybe 85% of the time. This means you have to make more complicated code to work around the faults in IE.

For instance, to properly center a block of text, you should be able to set the left and right margins to the same amount ("auto" in fact) and make sure the text isn't as wide as the screen ("width: 50%" say). That's easy to understand, easy to code. It's fine in opera, firefox, mozilla etc. But not in some versions of IE. for them, you have to set the text-alignment to centred, then make another paragraph inside the original one and set it's text-alignment to left, then change the margins. That's (an example) of why IE is more a problem than Opera etc.

ReputationRep:
    Currently downloading Opera, want to see if it does increase dial-up speed. Will report back later.

ReputationRep:
    I use MSN Explorer.

ReputationRep:
    I use IE because it's the best browser in the whole wide world as it comes free with windows, i am too lazy to download a decent browser like mozilla firebird that doesn't have daily security vulnerabilities nor tabbed windows because i am a regular joe moron who knows nothing about computers and thinks that Internet Explorer is the Internet :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TIMAAAAAAAAAAAY)
    I use IE because it's the best browser in the whole wide world as it comes free with windows, i am too lazy to download a decent browser like mozilla firebird that doesn't have daily security vulnerabilities nor tabbed windows because i am a regular joe moron who knows nothing about computers and thinks that Internet Explorer is the Internet :rolleyes:
    Damn straight, I absolutely agree; however if Opera gives me faster internet I'll stick with that. Its already started to annoy me and I haven't installed it yet: its 16megs and my PC disconnected after 4, so I had to restart. ARRRGGGHHH.

ReputationRep:
    got it but its adware, and the pages look different. Gona try Firefox next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Give Avant a whirl too if you haven't already. Kind of IE with some features of firefox.
    Cheers Pig!

ReputationRep:
    I've been using Opera all afternoon and so far it is the best browser I have tried. It and firefox really do speed up dialup. I also like the fact that Opera tells you how fast the pages are downloading and how pig the page is. The display and the GUI took a little bit of getting used to but I like them now. It was just a little bit buggy with a site I went to today but other than that I had no trouble with compatability. I might eventually try avant but right now I am going to stick with Opera. Firefox is good too.

ReputationRep:
    One of the best things with Opera on dial up is this:

You know often you don't want to see any images on a site, all you care about is the text? And the images take ages to download? Well, press 'G' and Opera won't load any images. Press 'G' again, and it will show any you already have in the cache (if you've been to the site before). Press 'G' again, and it will load them all (if you decide you do want images). There's a picture of a camera on the toolbar, if you don't like the 'G' key.

Oh, and you know when you find a page with Google or something, and you're wondering where the word you searched for is? Press '.' (full stop) and type the word. The page will scroll to it. Press F3 to find the next occourance.

If you want to change the GUI for Opera, try here: http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/

And you don't need the Java version when you download, it's just nice to have for a few pages. And you only need to download it once, too.

Sometimes pressing Ctrl G sorts out a buggy site by removing all the style (colours, positioning etc), sometimes not. Press it again to get back to normal.

Remember Avant is just IE underneath, so it will be the same speed, and have the same security problems.

ReputationRep:
    Using Firefox on Linux now, but still Mozilla on Windows.

ReputationRep:
    What I don't understand about Opera (Java) is why it is so much bigger than regular Opera. The size difference is not the size of the Java virtual machine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moncal)
    What I don't understand about Opera (Java) is why it is so much bigger than regular Opera. The size difference is not the size of the Java virtual machine.
    It includes Sun Java <something>, though I'm not sure if it's everything or not. Remember the download will be compressed.

ReputationRep:
    Firefox. No more pop ups for me.

ReputationRep:
    IE.

you love it really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    IE.

you love it really
    i use firefox cos of IE's 'security probs'

but everyone proper slates it to the ground.

I know its not as gud as others, but is it really worthy of the abuse u giv it

(ill need2 look back over my previous posts cos u mite find i got caught in the moment and also slated it to the ground..lol!)

ReputationRep:
    Pigs got me hooked on Avant; its really good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    IE.

you love it really
    I just really don't like it. I never understood why people didn't like it until I tried other browsers. I just can't stand not having tabs. And IE is much slower than Firefox and Opera. I would suggest that everyone try both Firefox and Opera.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.