Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How will you celebrate when Brexit happens? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    People who are right of centre like you
    I'm a Fourth Way pragmatic pluralist. Where I fall in relation to the 'centre-ground' is an irrelevance, what matters is policy outcomes, nothing more

if we were to raise taxes or the minimum wage, our businesses would leave
    I do not favour corporates, am a social Economist, and support a reasonable standard of living for the working class

when people claim the same about the EU, you accuse them of scaremongering
    Quote me where I've done so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Banks don't move in unison, and the financial services sector is way, way bigger/more diversified, than the sabre rattling JP Morgans of this world

1) Banks won't all up and run, just a portion of elite IB douchebros;
    You misunderstand me - I'm not saying that banks moving *will* happen, I'm saying that the "oh well screw them" attitude you seemed to be expressing is not very strongly reasoned and ignores the possible negative aspects.

2) Why are we seeing Birmingham, and other cities, starting to become technology hubs?; What about Scandinavia etc?
    I apologise if this seems a bit unfair, but it seems to me you don't know much about the technology industry/startup scene? However you define technology hub, Birmingham not only isn't in the same league as SV, they're barely even playing the same game.

The concentration of tech talent in SV is absolutely absurd, the companies there show no signs of wanting to stop importing people and the investors there actually understand tech startups. London has the biggest concentration of tech talent in the UK (recruiters on Linkedin regularly beg for people to move outside of London) because it has the most companies, but it's not even close to SV.

I agree. The UK, and Europe, have become too London-centric. Needs to be a rebalancing, in the interests of equality/to counter-spatial decline
    I would love it if this would work, but current experience suggests that it won't. Businesses start up in SV because everyone's there, everyone's there because the businesses are there. It's a huge moneymaking machine. Until the tech industry is more accepting of remote working (it annoys me that it isn't right now, but that's how it is), things will be based on geographic proximity and you'll end up with tiny areas with huge concentrations of 'industry'. Trying to deny that just means someone else gets to eat your lunch - I hate London, but better it than Berlin.

Look at the means, attitudes, ties, and lifestyle behaviours of concerned groups, and compare
    There's no way I can possibly respond to this point because you're just vaguely waving at things saying "it's obvious if you consider these factors". Unless you can come up with some research (or anything other than 'common sense') that indicates that skilled professionals are less likely to move, I'm going to ignore this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    I'm saying that the "oh well screw them" attitude you seemed to be expressing is not very strongly reasoned and ignores the possible negative aspects
    Agreed, were it a realistic prospect that our financial sector would be decimated (it ain't, as you appear to have conceded)

However you define technology hub, Birmingham not only isn't in the same league as SV, they're barely even playing the same game
    That's a given, but from the POV of an Economist/politicians, it's a noteworthy departure for the hitherto London-centric industry

everyone's there because the businesses are there
    Why aren't they in the financial capital (and global economic hub) Manhattan? Not sure you've thought this comparison through mate

things will be based on geographic proximity and you'll end up with tiny areas with huge concentrations of 'industry'
    Shifting working practices, infrastructure, and other technology enabled themes, rather suggest this trend will de-escalate

I hate London
    Why so?

I'm going to ignore this point
    Ok :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I will celebrate by not celebrating.

ReputationRep:
    Running naked through the streets.

ReputationRep:
    What do Brits always do when the chips are down?
    Get hammered?

Throw all the European country flags out the door. They officially left.
    Tbh I wouldn't even care,i would still continue with revision.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, were it a realistic prospect that our financial sector would be decimated (it ain't, as you appear to have conceded)
    I never expressed an opinion on what would happen because I have no idea, so saying I've 'conceded' something is odd. I understand your position better now, it's basically "we can lost some of the scum, since most of them will stay anyway"? At least that's expressing a position with some reasoning.

That's a given, but from the POV of an Economist/politicians, it's a noteworthy departure for the hitherto London-centric industry
    Sorry, but I really don't think it is. I'd ballpark it at London being ~two order of magnitudes more important than Birmingham for the tech industry. But that's just the impression I get from working in the field, I'd be happy to look at other statistics.

Why aren't they in the financial capital (and global economic hub) Manhattan? Not sure you've thought this comparison through mate
    I said this in my first or second response to you, the financial industry helps to prop up the London tech industry, SV is big enough to exist by itself. Do you have any experience at all here, or are you just groping in the dark?

Shifting working practices, infrastructure, and other technology enabled themes, rather suggest this trend will de-escalate
    a) it's not the case right now and b) the de-escalation is slow - you're sacrificing the possibility to become a 'recognised' SV outpost because you think remote working will become accepted some time in the next 30 years. Why not take advantage while it's not, then adapt when it does?

Why so?
    Because it annoys me that remote working is basically not a thing right now. But I accept reality and suck it up, because it massively improves my prospects. Like the London tech industry growing would do for the whole UK.

Ok :erm:
    Good job with the context removal. Please don't pretend I'm being unreasonable for asking for anything beyond hand waving. My experience in the tech industry is based on working in it, researching it, negotiating with employers, reading news articles and talking to people who have played the game before to the tune of millions of pounds. You're giving me nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohgeez)
    Get hammered?
    Haha, no, that's what we do when the chips are up! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    You better all live up to your pledges

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dskinner)
    Brexit is a probable as someone hurting my feelings
    Spoiler:
    Show
    which is next to impossible
    You were saying?

ReputationRep:
    Pound at lowest level since 1985. How much lower can it go? Oh, but all the economists were just lying for their own interests!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floury)
    Britain is far too good to carry on propping up the failing EU and I am confident that tomorrow we will stick our two fingers up at it and moon the EU as we celebrate the impending Brexit. How will you be celebrating when we vote to leave?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The words you used as well as the actions described in that paragraph you just composed, really summarises and makes evident the types of people who probably voted for out. Working cla... Looool

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    You were saying?
    my feeling are very hurt right now, all those pebbles who decided to vote leave are fools, i've heard of only bad things from leaving so far
    the stock market has dropped(or something like that)
    like someone else mentioned the pound is worth less
    and i also heard that nigel farrage lied about his facts or something, i'm not seeing the good side rn

ReputationRep:
    so pleased

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Pound at lowest level since 1985. How much lower can it go? Oh, but all the economists were just lying for their own interests!
    yes because it is fair to judge it on a time period of hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    I'll get a new job and higher pay. It'll be much easier with less people.
    no necessarily, less people = more competition

ReputationRep:
    when is this referendum happening anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    when is this referendum happening anyway?
    it's tomorrow love

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dskinner)
    my feeling are very hurt right now, all those pebbles who decided to vote leave are fools, i've heard of only bad things from leaving so far
    the stock market has dropped(or something like that)
    like someone else mentioned the pound is worth less
    and i also heard that nigel farrage lied about his facts or something, i'm not seeing the good side rn
    Short term affects no one voted not knowing that what would happen short term, you are a fool willing to sacrifice self-rule for this little.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.