Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdifarah)
    Is somebody who opened fire in a cinema filled with civilians a terrorist or not ?
    Not necessarily, only if they want political change.

ReputationRep:
    Is somebody who opened fire in a cinema filled with civilians a terrorist or not ?
    If it wasn't politically or religiously motivated, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    I can see it, but I expected it to be an islamist due to the lack of decorum a subset of the migrants have been demonstrating, as well as what a lot of islamic preachers have said.
    Yeah that would've been my second thought, first if it was anywhere else in Europe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Yeah that would've been my second thought, first if it was anywhere else in Europe
    I was under the impression than right wing politics was a massive taboo in Germany, which made me a little doubtful.

ReputationRep:
    Such a tragedy. The world is a cruel place.
    R.I.P innocent victims, may God have mercy on their souls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sh9)
    Only 1 person died, and that was the gunman. Thank god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sh9)
    Hold your horses, there have been no reports of fatalities.

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression than right wing politics was a massive taboo in Germany, which made me a little doubtful.
    If anything, that suppression would lead to even more frustration to erupt into an attack like this. I don't think the massive taboo on right wing politics is a good thing, but I'm not really surprised at it of course going by German history

ReputationRep:
    So your telling me the mass shootings in Orlando had the same media coverage as the other 135 mass shootings which have occurred in the past 6 months? I am certain the majority of the public wouldn't know of any mass shootings that happened this year apart from what happened in Orlando.
    Well a mass shooting by a jumped up redneck killing four people in a random desert town in the middle of Alabama or Missisipi isn't quite comparable. It's disingenuous and misleading to even try.
    Mass shootings of similar scales as Orlando (though it has to be noted that the Orlando shooting was one if the worst) had similar coverage. I'll grant you that the angle that different media outlets covered them are different for Orlando, sure. But that doesn't mean others of similar scales haven't been extensively covered

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All the talk about politics, forgetting that 50 people have been injured trying to enjoy themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anthony Ludovici)
    Did the religion of peace make a peace again?

Doh.
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    Has it even been confirmed the perp is a muslim? I mean, it probably is, but do we know?
    The attacker had a mental instability. He was very likely not to be a Muslim from the descriptions I have heard so far.

ReputationRep:
    Germany have definitely been cucking themselves due to living under the shadow of the NSDAP, but more and more people refuse to continue this, and want to move on from having to constantly be the country to appear at the forefront of progressive ideals and proving they have changed.

ReputationRep:
    This was not a Muslim. It was a mentally unstable person who did this. Also, there are reports that the gun was handmade and that it shoots tear gas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    This was not a Muslim. It was a mentally unstable person who did this. Also, there are reports that the gun was handmade and that it shoots tear gas.
    Source for the "mentally unstable" part?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by chemting)
    Source for the "mentally unstable" part?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-in-viernheim/

He appeared 'confused'

(Original post by Ladbants)
    Why is it that almost all the small shooting incidents are just your average nutcase, but all the large incidents are Islamists? Are the Islamists just much more competent at killing people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Why is it that almost all the small shooting incidents are just your average nutcase, but all the large incidents are Islamists? Are the Islamists just much more competent at killing people?
    did you miss the Utoya massacre where your average nutcase killed 70 people? most kills of a single person of any mass shooting ever.

They are a taboo, especially in Western Germany. However, former communist Eastern Germany is a little more like Poland, politically.+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-in-viernheim/

He appeared 'confused'
    Appearing confused doesn't necessarily mean mentally unstable. He could well have had a political agenda but when it came to the heat of the moment, he may have gotten nervous (not that its a bad thing this happened).

In all probability, it is much more likely that he was a mentally unstable person, but I don't think there's anything concrete to prove anything at this point.

(Original post by alevelstresss)
    did you miss the Utoya massacre where your average nutcase killed 70 people? most kills of a single person of any mass shooting ever.
    5 years ago - and since then, we have had plenty of attacks by normal nutcases and Islamists, and AFAIK only the Islamists achieved large numbers of casualties.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.