Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester_123)
    You sound like you don't believe in democracy
    I do believe in democracy, although it isn't perfect it's the best available system.

I was asking someone who dislikes it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I'll lose the sarcasm when people stop saying that people shouldn't be allowed to vote, calling everyone who voted to leave racist and accepts in a democracy you don't always get your own way.
    I never called anyone racist. I criticised people who ridiculed the petition and rightly so as the petition was created nearly two months before the result- but clearly most people on here who voted leave were incapable of reading the date or understanding what it was asking for. The petition was actually asking for Government to consider how representative the result is likely to be and to apply the same conditions to both sides. The incident in the South East, however, made the request of this petition more significant.

Now to the comment you made about not always getting your own way. Of all people I probably someone who understands this most as life has dealt me more than my fair share of challenges. So remember the phrase do not judge a book by its cover.

ReputationRep:
    Imma defo sign this...
    I think the voters made mistakes...
    Leave cheated, they said stuff to do with £350 mill/bill on NHS but never did it.
    Fear mongering was involved with Turkey joining and Leave making posters...

ReputationRep:
    Why have another referendum? The majority of people won't change their votes, it will just be the minority of leave voters who have bottled it today and listened to media about how terrible it is. We can't be certain with what's going to happen in the future so people need to stop assuming its going to be terrible
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The first reply to that tweet.

And DC also said he wouldn't resign as PM...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midgeymoo17)
    I never called anyone racist. I criticised people who ridiculed the petition and rightly so as the petition was created nearly two months before the result- but clearly most people on here who voted leave were incapable of reading the date or understanding what it was asking for. The petition was actually asking for Government to consider how representative the result is likely to be and to apply the same conditions to both sides. The incident in the South East, however, made the request of this petition more significant.

Now to the comment you made about not always getting your own way. Of all people I probably someone who understands this most as life has dealt me more than my fair share of challenges. So remember the phrase do not judge a book by its cover.
    I'm sorry if I offended you in some way I am annoyed at all the people who don't realise that this is the choice of the people and are basically saying take the vote away from the poor.

ReputationRep:
    Babies who cry

ReputationRep:
    The petition's absurd.

No side will get a 60:40 win in the foreseeable future and we'll just have referendums for eternity that paralyses the country.

ReputationRep:
    bad losers everywhere we won fair and square democracy is beautiful grow a pair and accept it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    I voted Remain but I think this petition is pointless. Leave won fair and square - let this be a lesson for people (in general) to take referendums and elections seriously and actually vote. Hopefully it sinks in by the time the next general election is upon us and we don't destroy this country any further.
    I'm sorry but a lifelong punishment seems a bit extreme for those of us that did vote and are now being punished because others didn't or now regret their votes.

Leaving the EU is a massive deal, it was a small margin, we should be absolutely sure what happens is thought out - not just a lesson for people.

ReputationRep:
    145.000 so far, wish it was at least 16 million..... :smug:

Hope we get a 2nd as said it's so so close. Like leadership votes when too close, a 2nd vote is done so should we be allowed on a referendum!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)

Hope we get a 2nd as said it's so so close. Like leadership votes when too close, a 2nd vote is done so should we be allowed on a referendum!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It wasnt that close.

ReputationRep:
    it wont happen. Doesnt change the fact that the leave campaign aka project hate played a dirty game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Another referendum. I think it actually probably says that somewhere on the petition...
    Can't tell if you're been purposely facetious or just stupid.

I'll leave you to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drogon)
    it wont happen. Doesnt change the fact that the leave campaign aka project hate played a dirty game.
    Both side played dirty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atom y humber)
    Can't tell if you're been purposely facetious or just stupid.

I'll leave you to it.
    Well, what else do you want to know? It's asking for another referendum. It isn't rocket science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atom y humber)
    Both side played dirty.
    Leave campaign was far worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It needs >100,000 signatures to even have a chance of being debated in Parliament, it's not the case that >100,000 signatures and it definitely will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I'm sorry if I offended you in some way I am annoyed at all the people who don't realise that this is the choice of the people and are basically saying take the vote away from the poor.
    No worries- I am sure I done the same at some point. Personally I have no problem with a Brexit result. I respect the result and actually think that although Brexit it going to be a long tough road could be quite an exciting adventure for this country. No I think your right a lot of pro remain on here are basically wanting to take the vote away from the poor which I highly object to. Personally I think poor people are equally capable of holding strong valid opinions which should be fairly represented. Whilst i do recognise the concerns that due to social economic influences it tends to be poor people who vote which a less informed opinion (which is not really ideal), as someone pointed out this morning that one of the areas of Wales where Brexit was strongest was actually a village where infrastructure was almost entirely built on EU funds, Likewise cannot fathom why Birmingham Voted Brexit, however the issue here is not whether poor people should have the vote. The issue is actually how effectively our government engages and explains the matter to the voter, an issue which does actually affect all classes- but disproportionately the poor due to the social ecumenic influences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    - let this be a lesson for people (in general) to take referendums and elections seriously
    harsh lesson to learn this way

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.