June 24th: 'UK Independence Day'. The People of Great Britain Have Spoken. Now What?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    FT: FTSE 100 hits 10 month high. Oops! :facepalm2:
    Why the FTSE 100 at a post-Brexit high is not necessarily good news. Oops!

Almost Everyone Thinks the Pound's Days Are Numbered*. Ouch!

ReputationRep:
    Indeed post referendum, if a UK student wanted to study in a EU university it now costs a great deal more.

Brexit voters have created a new Tuition Fee - a 10% price hike and rising daily for going to uni in the EU....

We now have Brexit voter tuition fees - Thanks for nothing Brexit voters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    Indeed post referendum, if a UK student wanted to study in a EU university it now costs a great deal more.
    My goodness! That must affect a huge number of people. Imagine - all those under-valued, downtrodden, ill-mannered, out-of-work voters not thinking about the cost of the educated elite's privileges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Women and children first into the lifeboats.
    Permit me to help you, and your fellow catastrophising, lily-livered pansies, if not aboard HMS TakeControl then abroad,* good lady :top2:

Goodness knows how this country survived two world wars and an intervening depression, followed by rationing and the prospect of MAD :erm:

Really starting to wonder if there are any true Brits, with true grit, left in our major cities. Such a sorry bunch 'protesting' Democracy :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:

Goodness knows how this country survived two world wars and an intervening depression, followed by rationing and the prospect of MAD :erm:

Really starting to wonder if there are any true Brits, with true grit, left in our major cities. Such a sorry bunch 'protesting' Democracy :facepalm2:
    If I remember my history lessons correctly, by cooperating with members of a united group of countries, mostly European...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Willing to put your money where your mouth is? I am willing to bet you that the pounds days are not numbered at all. This is just like the Euro ******** all over again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)

Brexit voters have created a new Tuition Fee - a 10% price hike and rising daily for going to uni in the EU....

We now have Brexit voter tuition fees - Thanks for nothing Brexit voters.

Man up FFS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Well put.

Let's set about forging an outward-looking trading nation, with truly accountable legislators and government, and not wallow in self-pity and fling blame and hate all over the place.

Rather ironic given you supported the leave campaign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    [/b]
    Rather ironic given you supported the leave campaign.
    Not really. I wanted us to wrest back control from the broken, unsuitable system of the EU. There's nothing self-pitying or hateful about that.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I wanted us to wrest back control from the broken, unsuitable system of the EU. There's nothing self-pitying or hateful about that.
    The referendum is over, leave won and we are leaving the EU.
    So please, please can we stop with the nonsense, hollow rhetoric and saying 'take back control' every other sentence.
    I'd also point out the obvious fact that being in the single market, which the tories candidates all wish to be, means we will have to accept free movement among other EU requirements, meaning we won't 'wrestle back control' as you seem to be implying.

I generally regard you as one of the more intelligent and thorough posters on here, even if I disagree with your political leanings, you normally substantiate arguments well. So it seems strange for you to keep using hollow phrases and soundbites like 'take back control' and 'evil, broken EU'. They're not a substitute for substantive arguments.

I'd also point out you claimed that we needed to come together and prevent blaming others and hate, but the leave campaign focused hugely on certain groups on dishing out blame such as 'elites', the establishment' and immigrants. Seems a bit ironic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    The referendum is over, leave won and we are leaving the EU.
    So please, please can we stop with the nonsense, hollow rhetoric and saying 'take back control' every other sentence.

I generally regard you as one of the more intelligent and thorough posters on here, even if I disagree with your political leanings, you normally substantiate arguments well. So it seems strange for you to keep using hollow phrases and soundbites like 'take back control' and 'evil, broken EU'. They're not a substitute for substantive arguments.

I'd also point out you claimed that we needed to come together and prevent blaming others and hate, but the leave campaign focused hugely on certain groups on dishing out blame such as 'elites', the establishment' and immigrants. Seems a bit ironic.
    You'll notice I made the very substantial change from 'take' to 'wrest'.

The reason why it was such an effective slogan was because it put very concisely what a lot of people basically wanted. I don't think the EU is evil. I do think it is unfit for purpose and that its purpose is much wider than it ought to be, at least as it applies to the UK.

I think it's unhelpful to attribute statements too loosely. There is the official leave campaign, which acquitted itself perfectly decently and respectfully, and then there were some outlying groups and individuals, which spent time attacking the sorts of groups you mentioned. Besides, not every leave voter was part of any campaign at all. People have their own reasons, myself included.

ReputationRep:
    You'll notice I made the very substantial change from 'take' to 'wrest'.

The reason why it was such an effective slogan was because it put very concisely what a lot of people basically wanted. I don't think the EU is evil. I do think it is unfit for purpose and that its purpose is much wider than it ought to be, at least as it applies to the UK.

I think it's unhelpful to attribute statements too loosely. There is the official leave campaign, which acquitted itself perfectly decently and respectfully, and then there were some outlying groups and individuals, which spent time attacking the sorts of groups you mentioned. Besides, not every leave voter was part of any campaign at all. People have their own reasons, myself included.
    Effective as it may have been, 'take back control' was rather hollow in substance. Because as mentioned to have 'control' over immigration, we will have to leave the single market which no tory leadership candidate wants to do, indeed many leading brexiteers have already distanced themselves from us controlling immigration, just as they have moved away from the £350 million which they said we would have 'control' of.

It sold a fake message. Do we really have more control now? Especially if we are part of the single market a la Norway/Switzerland yet have no influence on the rules and have to accept free movement. It's the one point I agree with Cameron with. That's less, not more control.

I genuinely wonder though, what have we actually taken control of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    anyone identifying as non-male for the purposes of evacuation
    Message over ESS Titanic Tannoy:

Gentlemen sailors, please check your privilege and ensure your credentials are in order before boarding the escape vessels

ReputationRep:
    they will be taken East for resettlement in due course
    I hear Putin's quite keen to settle Siberia these days :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Message over ESS Titanic Tannoy:

Gentlemen sailors, please check your privilege and ensure your credentials are in order before boarding the escape vessels
    i was wondering whether to mention your spelling of Tannoy :teehee: *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    It's amazing, this opposition of yours to sexism. :rolleyes:
    Haha. It's been apparent for some time now that FOS is far from immune to the gross moral/intellectual inconsistency characteristic of young (pseudo)-progressive Guardianistas. This one issue has, if nothing else, shown this cultural class to be tragically, staggeringly hypocritical - to the point of openly rallying against their own, purportedly 'core principles' e.g.

Democracy vs. political elitism and technocratic usurpation of a popular Democratic mandate

Equality vs. vile ageism, and class, region, and level of education based elitism (and related assertions re: qualified voting rights)

Self-determination vs. deference to super-national political force and avoidance of a Democratically mandated referendum

Freedom of speech vs. conflation of a single far-right atrocity with criticism of immigration/'failed state multiculturalism' (Cameron, 2011)

Rejection of bigotry vs. assuming leavers are virtually all either uneducated/uninformed or regretting their decision, or else racist/bigots

ReputationRep:
    1. You'll forgive this accomplished graduate Economist if he prefers not to read too much into hastily compiled, short, and oversimplified, barely economically literate, articles appearing in second rate newspapers and written by butt-hurt metropolitan journos with post-grads in digital media

2. Volatility in FTSE-250, and all-share, is to be expected. This is nothing new, and integral to comments made by myself, and others in the know on the leave side, relating to stochastic movements associated with uncertainty. The blame for this falls, in no small part, on those members of the establishment/Project Fear, who talked up worst-case-scenarios whilst arrogantly/irresponsibly failing to make ready contingencies. At any rate, the FTSE-250 is back up to around the same level as it was mid-June, so you, and Ms. History degree, can keep your knickers on :flutter:

1. "Days are numbered" is, perhaps, a slightly hyperbolic and sensationalised way of communicating the central message of the piece, namely, that: some people are predicting an end of year value of <=$1.30 to the pound (hardly an existential threat to the world's oldest currency) :rolleyes:

2. The article states: "The decline makes U.K. exports cheaper to buy with other currencies, and has already helped the FTSE 100 Index recover"

Omni-ouch!

ReputationRep:
    BBC News: Brexit: Petition for second EU referendum rejected

ReputationRep:
    London won't be missed, but Scotland & Ulster :emo:
    London isn't all that bad fam. I mean sure, in many respects the environment leaves a lot to be desired, but there are good people based there e.g. relatively civil parts of greater London, and it does have some nice attractions/amenities

Scotland is set to become an economic backwater, and we English are getting bored of the constant *****ing and moaning of dour/sour face Salmond et Sturgeon. Per capita GDP in NI is roughly two thirds of the broader UK average too. They need our monies

ReputationRep:
    Hes not looking so chipper at the moment

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.