Parliament should not invoke Article 50 - the referendum was a farce

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    Oh grow up.
    Rich coming from you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    From the tone of some of the postings coming up, I think a lot of UKIP supporters think they now own the country and can swagger around it like stormtroopers, demanding others leave.

How long can it be before Nige starts issuing SS uniforms and demanding that we wear different coloured triangles and stars?
    Is the racism card the only thing the left have up their sleeve? It's worn thin now, people aren't buying it anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    36% of 18-24 year olds voting is a farce :lol:
    Since students love spinning statistics to try and undermine the Conservative win at last years election, this means that just 26% of the 18-24 year old electorate backed remaining in the EU.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot fathom the Left's notion that the UK has unlimited infrastructure and resources. The UK is a small area.

A politician's mandate should be to 'create no burdens'. All these politicians do is create burdens and then say some token phrase about the 'British Spirit' whereby we will bear the burdens of their latest schemes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortle)
    A politician's mandate should be to 'create no burdens'.
    The primary role of a nation state is to guard, nurture and protect its citizens. Anyone who disagrees with this should consult the Kurds, or the people of Syria, Afghanistan.

Obviously there is a balance, but allowing unlimited migration, especially of people who cannot reasonably be assimilated into our society, risks losing the cohesion that has seen the country through many crises, and making the place an urban sprawl with poor quality of life and infrastructure that cannot cope.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else getting tried that remain campaigners cannot accept the result ?

I'm sorry you don't believe in democracy and you're opinion is more important than the other 17 million people who voted remain

ReputationRep:
    Vote Leave campaign is busy removing its website links, Guardian reports just now.

Looks like they don't want all those false promises to stay open to public gaze.
    All I have to say is LOL. Vote Leave website wasnt made by UKIP it was made by the Tories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Anyone else getting tried that remain campaigners cannot accept the result ?I'm sorry you don't believe in democracy and you're opinion is more important than the other 17 million people who voted remain
    Ancient Greece had democracy. And this democracy justified the execution of Socrates.

Democracy is only perfect (and suitable) if you have a majority of educated participants. Can't say the same is applicable to the UK.... i mean at least England minus London

Also it's nice to note the majority of UK (muggers) exercised their right to vote after falling for falsified claims and figures :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    Since when and on what planet does 'democracy' mean 'referendum result by a sliver over 1% difference."? Democracy is electing representatives to decide for us in a properly constituted parliament.
    No you're simply talking about one version of democracy--a representative parliamentary democracy. This referendum was far more democratic than any general election we've had, a small though clear majority was for Leave. That is democracy in action and quite often it produces results which metropolitan pseudo-intellectual progressive cry-babies like yourself don't like.

Welcome to reality princess!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    All I have to say is LOL. Vote Leave website wasnt made by UKIP it was made by the Tories.
    I'm still waiting for someone to take Farage to court for that poster, which clearly broke the hate laws.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting for someone to take Farage to court for that poster, which clearly broke the hate laws.
    How are you going to prove that illustrating mass immigration is a hate crime?

ReputationRep:
    It's the way you tell 'em.

:toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit...johnson-2016-9

ReputationRep:
    This is a very interesting and impressive development.

It does seem clear that ministers and former ministers like Gove and Johnson are guilty of misconduct in public office. If anything, there should be criminal trials for them. Farage is guilty of racial crimes.

ReputationRep:

It does seem clear that ministers and former ministers like Gove and Johnson are guilty of misconduct in public office. If anything, there should be criminal trials for them. Farage is guilty of racial crimes.
    The most significant sentence in that link tells us that the campaign's lawyer, Ball told BI in July that it would be "very difficult" for the campaign to be successful.

But you go on believing.

ReputationRep:

What incidents in particular could have been considering degree racial crimes?

ReputationRep:
    I assume you're talking about the 'breaking point' poster- can you explain how it was hateful? It was simply implying that large numbers of migrants are looking to come to the UK, which is true because if you look at the Jungle, they all want to come here.

ReputationRep:
    Now the dust is starting to settle a little, it's becoming clear what has happened.
    First of all, the majority for Leave was small - almost half of the voters were against Leaving.
    democracy is the procedure whereby a majority+1 is all that is required. so leave won, objectively, and remain lost. there was more consent behind leave, so if we don't leave, that is anti-democratic.

Secondly, we now know that most of the big promises and offers made by the Leave campaign were false, by their own admission. This includes the alleged saving of £350m a week (they admit they lied about this) and their promises on immigration - which they also now confirm they lied about. These things had a big influence on voters.
    even if this wasn't total bull ****, that would be completely irrelevant. remember how the lib dems promised categorically to vote against any rise in tuition fees? did they suddenly all get chucked out of office? nope. our constitution doesn't say anything concerning this.

It is also the case that many of those voting Leave were pensioners. They will not have to live long with the consequences. We will.
    this is legally irrelevant. voters are equal under our system. so you have no argument unless you're telling me that we ought to have a system where the younger you are, the more votes you get.

Against this background, it's completely unacceptable for Parliament to surrender to ignorance and orchestrated right wing manipulative politics designed to bring in a deeper austerity agenda under Johnson and Gove.
    what even is this argument? "I think that the people that won were dumb so let's just forget about this referendum"? I thought the people who voted against AV were dumb, so what? democracy is democracy - ****ing grow up

We must contact our MPs and tell them that we cannot and do not accept that they should vote through the invoking of Article 50, to begin the process of leaving the EU. Instead, we should have a Royal Commission or similar to enquire properly into what it would mean to leave the EU and there should be a declaration that there will be a 5-year moratorium on action until more time for reflection has been had.
    they're not going to listen to you

EDIT
    Anyone who agrees that the majority for Leave was far too small to be convincing, can sign the "second referendum" petition, with more than 2m signatures now, which calls for a fairer process.
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215
    oh this is too much
    "I hate democracy...until I get my way...which must be every time."
    pitiful and childish. you are no democrat. should a government in parliament need more than 50% of seats (let alone ****ing votes) to be legitimate? what's the objective difference?

LATEST
    Surprisingly, it appears that at least one leading right-wing Tory agrees with me. Liam Fox, a key Eurosceptic, said tonight:

"A lot of things were said in advance of this referendum that we might want to think about again and that [invoking article 50] is one of them,” said the Conservative MP.“I think that it doesn’t make any sense to trigger article 50 without having a period of reflection first, for the cabinet to determine exactly what it is that we’re going to be seeking and in what timescale.
    you're talking about a PERIOD OF REFLECTION, not a measure to not leave at all! we had a ****ing public vote! this is a democracy!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.