(Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Yes but over 16 million opposed Brexit?

ok, since you want to twist the figures:

16.1million voted to remain
    17.4 million voted to leave

17.4 > 16.1 therefore we leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Unless the country was in complete uproar, with severe protests and striking across the country. Then I'd feel that a second referendum would be justified.

That part really annoys me. We fought hard and defeated the establishment, you can cry all you like but you lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desi123)
    Agreed.. as an Indian girl I'm tired of seeing people assume that "controlling EU immigration" = "racist"
    What? You can be Indian and racist.

Either way its completely illogical, considering the immigration we control brings in 10% fewer university graduates and they contribute 30% less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james813)
    That part really annoys me. We fought hard and defeated the establishment, you can cry all you like but you lost.
    You fought hard by spreading lies on Facebook, and defeated the establishment by giving them full control over you? Nice one.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by De Chirico)
    Unfortunately politics tends to bring out the worst in people.
    For example breaking up long term friendships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    People have as much right to question a majority decision as the majority have to make a stupid decision. Democracy is just about reading the Daily Mail one morning and then going out and casting your vote and that's that. Maybe that's all you can be arsed with, but if people want to take an active role in politics, that should be encouraged.

People should be held accountable for their decisions. If you vote for something and everything goes tits up, you shouldn't just get to forget about it while everyone else suffers the consequences. We're completely entitled to make a big fuss about everything that's gone wrong as a result of the leave voters, we're not going to pretend it's not happening.

This referendum was in no way democratic. If this had been a general election, the masterminds behind Vote Leave would be in prison for the blatant corruption in this campaign. People made their votes based on things that just weren't true - "we'll be £350m/week better off", "Turkey is joining and sending all their immigrants", and so on. Millions of pounds were spend on advertising LIES to scare people into voting.

Boris Johnson and Michael Gove won people over with this rhetoric, turning the EU into this monster representing the elites. Lots of people voted "against the establishment", and are now realising they've been played by the elites the whole time.

Something being "democratic" doesn't mean that it's fair or right. Stop telling people how to feel and behave.
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    I could, because so much of it is ******** and one-sided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMackyTv)
    In that post I was talking more directly to Jordan rather than Remainers in general, this person is known to be irritating so it would not be surprising if it was the other way round he was telling us to shut up.

So my argument isn't based on conjecture.
    When have I told anyone to shut up?

ReputationRep:
    People have as much right to question a majority decision as the majority have to make a stupid decision. Democracy is just about reading the Daily Mail one morning and then going out and casting your vote and that's that. Maybe that's all you can be arsed with, but if people want to take an active role in politics, that should be encouraged.

People should be held accountable for their decisions. If you vote for something and everything goes tits up, you shouldn't just get to forget about it while everyone else suffers the consequences. We're completely entitled to make a big fuss about everything that's gone wrong as a result of the leave voters, we're not going to pretend it's not happening.

This referendum was in no way democratic. If this had been a general election, the masterminds behind Vote Leave would be in prison for the blatant corruption in this campaign. People made their votes based on things that just weren't true - "we'll be £350m/week better off", "Turkey is joining and sending all their immigrants", and so on. Millions of pounds were spend on advertising LIES to scare people into voting.

Boris Johnson and Michael Gove won people over with this rhetoric, turning the EU into this monster representing the elites. Lots of people voted "against the establishment", and are now realising they've been played by the elites the whole time.

Something being "democratic" doesn't mean that it's fair or right. Stop telling people how to feel and behave.
    Get off you high horse. Remain's rhetoric was even worse, and even more deceitful. The economy is not going to implode, stocks and sterling are stabilising, we're not back of any queue to negotiate trade deals, British business is now confident we'll adapt. We're not losing Northern Ireland as unionist parties hold a majority in their assembly, and as for Scotland frankly couldn't care less for their constant superiority complex and Anglophobia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Get off you high horse. Remain's rhetoric was even worse, and even more deceitful. The economy is not going to implode, stocks and sterling are stabilising, we're not back of any queue to negotiate trade deals, British business is now confident we'll adapt. We're not losing Northern Ireland as unionist parties hold a majority in their assembly, and as for Scotland frankly couldn't care less for their constant superiority complex and Anglophobia.
    British business is confident we'll adapt? Then why have the Tata Steel buyers backed out? Why are Morgan Stanley and HSBC moving employees out of London? Why are the National Farmers' Union saying food prices will rise?

You couldn't care less about losing a massive proportion of our GDP? Right...

ReputationRep:
    Quit being a baby. I don't like the result any more than you do but grow up and have some dignity.

ReputationRep:
    British business is confident we'll adapt? Then why have the Tata Steel buyers backed out? Why are Morgan Stanley and HSBC moving employees out of London? Why are the National Farmers' Union saying food prices will rise?

You couldn't care less about losing a massive proportion of our GDP? Right...
    They haven't. The slump in sterling's value makes it even more attractive. Talks are ongoing.
    Same with Morgan Stanley and HSBC, neither are true. Morgan Stanley has flat out denied the claim while HSBC has refused to comment. These are lies being spread by salty remainers, along with the myth that the UK has dropped below France in GDP, even though it would require Sterling falling by around 18%, which obviously didn't happen.
    As for food prices, there's a good article on Forbes on why the claim is dubious and the NFU is economically illiterate, I'll try find it again.
    And we didn't lose a massive proportion of our GDP. National output, measured in sterling, is unchanged. Changes to nominal GDP in U.S. Dollars caused by currency fluctuations have little to no effect or consequences on the living standards of the average Joe.

ReputationRep:

I am truly sorry!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ha ha ha ha ha ha
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    When have I told anyone to shut up?
    My post does say "if" but after that it was badly worded. If it was the other way around it would be you telling Brexiters to shut up.

ReputationRep:
    It really is a disaster. Whose stupid idea was it to start playing politics on the grandest scale in history, just after the economy began to sort itself out? We don't have a clue who the next Prime Ministers going to be, very embarrasing, this was all avoidable, a total disaster. I can only see things getting much worse.

ReputationRep:

You can't address democracy, when talking about the EU. It's the most undemocratic establishment in the world...

ReputationRep:
    You fought hard by spreading lies on Facebook, and defeated the establishment by giving them full control over you? Nice one.

You really need to get your facts right, I don't use facebook. Don't know about you but I'd rather be governed by people I can vote for than an unelected superstate stuffed with bureaucrats which wants to create an army and expand everywhere.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.