Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who voted remain who aren't being dramatic and ridiculous post Brexit decision Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Scotland will not rejoin the EU, simply because Spain will veto it.
    That depends how the Spanish elections go. Podemos could well be a governing party and they will be very in favour of Scotland joining.

ReputationRep:
    I just really dislike the fact that all this uncertainty could plunge us into recession and our budget deficit is already terrible. Although if we can get good trade deals, long term it could be beneficial, but I still don't think it was worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    The idea that many remainers are following is that it is only democracy if I get what I want.
    The truth is democracy doesn't always get it right. Sorry.

If outters genuinely thought that Britain would be destroyed if we stayed in the EU I would find it pretty strange if they went along with it because 2% more of people didn't think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    You think joining the Euro will be better in the long term for Britain????
    In the future as part of a United States of Europe then yeah sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cecily Neville)
    I wanted to create a thread where people who actually voted remain could chat about what they now think post -Brexit decision but without all this hysteria and hyperbole being spouted by a lot of the remainers.

I don't want to talk about whether it should have been a referendum for people to vote in because it was.

I don't want to talk about whether old people should be allowed to vote because they were and should be.

I don't want to talk about this momentary and inevitable dip in sterling to justify how terrible leaving is for the economy. It's not even been a week.

I don't want to hear unsubstantiated predictions.

I don't want to discuss things in this doom and gloom attitude like omg everything is terrible I'm ashamed to be British what about my future wah wah ****ing wah.

I wanna discuss the benefits of Brexit in the long term, how we mitigate the short term issues, what to take away from the vote in terms of political awareness and demographic turn out and how Brexit will affect the mood towards party politics in years to come.

I want to talk to remainers who actually didn't get emotional and ridiculous about the vote and who are thinking pragmatically about the future of the U.K.

I've had enough of irony and whinging from the remain voters and the sheer elitism and judgemental behaviour. I want to speak with other remain voters who are being rational and reasoned and not being divisive and stereotyping the majority of this nation.

I have a few articles that I've read in the aftermath which have really resonated and made me feel positive about the future despite the fact the outcome was not what I wanted.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...economic-world

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06...-young-people/

http://hurryupharry.org/2016/06/26/i...-north-gromit/
    I like you, I wish more people on my facebook feed had the common sense and maturity you do.

Hope you guys have a fruitful and effective discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    That depends how the Spanish elections go. Podemos could well be a governing party and they will be very in favour of Scotland joining.
    They will not have the absolute majority and therefore will have to form a coalition government anyway. Other parties will never accept the independence of Catalonia in the coalition deal.
    "Sánchez has said that he will not enter into any governing deals with a party that defends independence referendums in Spain."
    http://elpais.com/elpais/2016/06/24/...9.html?rel=lom

Moreover, Belgium could also block it as they don't want Flanders to secede as well.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with the decision, and nobody will change my mind. However we just have to accept it and move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    The idea that many remainers are following is that it is only democracy if I get what I want.
    This b

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    They will not have the absolute majority and therefore will have to form a coalition government anyway. Other parties will never accept the independence of Catalonia in the coalition deal.
    "Sánchez has said that he will not enter into any governing deals with a party that defends independence referendums in Spain."
    http://elpais.com/elpais/2016/06/24/...9.html?rel=lom

Moreover, Belgium could also block it as they don't want Flanders to secede as well.
    Perhaps, we will have to wait and see. Sturgeons in talks now.

Maybe a precedent could be agreed if the host country comes out of the EU against that nations will. I think that could be a safe bet.

ReputationRep:
    But what does intelligence have to do with this vote I don't get it? It's an assumption based on what you are surrounded by. As far as I know the vote hasn't been correlated with IQ.

Your knowledge gap comes from the fact that maybe the EU benefits educated professionals and that's why they vote to remain. Voting for what benefits you is nothing to do with intelligence. It's just a confound.
    I'm pretty sure that it has been correlated with IQ.

Not at all. From personal experience, and experience that anyone with a rational head can agree with. Many uneducated people complain the loudest about immigrants. It's all the uneducated, and less intelligent who fell for the Brexit lies about giving the £350 million that will be saved by leaving the EU directly to the NHS. Now I've said this in another thread, only the uneducated/ less intelligent will believe such obvious lies.

Why do you think that so many parts of Wales voted to leave? Because many, many regions in Wales are poor. The most prosperous regions- Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan voted to remain. And in fact the irony in that, is that Cardiff is the most effected by immigration.

ReputationRep:
    The truth is democracy doesn't always get it right. Sorry.

If outters genuinely thought that Britain would be destroyed if we stayed in the EU I would find it pretty strange if they went along with it because 2% more of people didn't think so.
    When has democracy ever claimed to get it right or for it to be a perfect process?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    I'm pretty sure that it has been correlated with IQ.

Not at all. From personal experience, and experience that anyone with a rational head can agree with. Many uneducated people complain the loudest about immigrants. It's all the uneducated, and less intelligent who fell for the Brexit lies about giving the £350 million that will be saved by leaving the EU directly to the NHS. Now I've said this in another thread, only the uneducated/ less intelligent will believe such obvious lies.

Why do you think that so many parts of Wales voted to leave? Because many, many regions in Wales are poor. The most prosperous regions- Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan voted to remain. And in fact the irony in that, is that Cardiff is the most effected by immigration.
    where has it been correlated with IQ? even so, it doesn't mean causation. Like I said you have to actually live the life of a leave voter to understand what drove them to vote that way not just make assumptions about them based on you thinking that you made your decision because you are intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    When has democracy ever claimed to get it right or for it to be a perfect process?
    Well as its a concept not an entity it can't. Plenty of people have though- notably brexiters- pure democracy is essentially relativism which is moral cancer.

ReputationRep:
    Well as its a concept not an entity it can't. Plenty of people have though- notably brexiters- pure democracy is essentially relativism which is moral cancer.
    Yeah sorry I phrased that badly :laugh:

But I mean I think the 2015 GE showed us that democracy quite often gets it very, very wrong. But I wouldn't have it any other way even if I do have to live under a Tory government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    I don't really see how the EU benefits professionals in particular, unless it has to do with Job security. Most professionals do not use Freedom of Movement.
    What a daft comment :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I voted remain and although I am suitably disappointed I respect the outcome of the election. My main worry is that Germany and other EU members will try and punish the UK somehow and set us an example to others who want to leave the EU. I hope too many people in the UK won't lose their jobs. I also fear that the outcome of this vote has given a greater voice and legitimacy to racists nationalists and that there will be tension in communities, something which we could do without.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshiee)
    What a daft comment :rofl:
    Do you consider academics, research associates, lecturers and professors as professionals?

If so do you think they will benefit from this considering that most of the funding universities receive is from the EU?

ReputationRep:
    Do you consider academics, research associates, lecturers and professors as professionals?
    No, because they are not. Well, lecturers could be but not really. Not that it makes a difference as they are required for the good work they do.

If so do you think they will benefit from this considering that most of the funding universities receive is from the EU?
    Depends on who gets into power. If Labour, the Liberal Democrats or Greens do or form a coalition then I think they'll get a boost in funding as the budget is distributed more fairly.

If its clowns like Boris or Gove they'll all be looking for jobs on the continent by this time next year. The next step the people must make is to force a general election and force the Tories out.

ReputationRep:

but do you understand that X money goes into the EU so we can receive Y money back. Without X going in it can be redirected internally? Is this just something that seems to escape people?

The EU doesn't give us the money for free :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I am SOOOOOOO glad i found this thread...

I voted leave myself and have been subjected to a constant barrage of name calling and doomsday foretelling.
    This truly restores a shred of hope i have that this country isn't going to be torn apart by itself.

Thank you!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.