Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you look down on 30+ year olds who work in retail? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsapRocky)
    Do you auto think "must be uneducated" ?
    Well, odds are they are uneducated.

But, no, obviously there's nothing wrong with going out and earning some money using what's available to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Because I have met people who have been working the same entry level positions for years with no promotion.
    Because stacking shelves is something I expect a person who is doing their a levels to be doing and when I see someone in their mid thirties doing it, I am thinking come on, you need to fix up. And I understand but you cannot years working the same position.
    I currently work as a project manager for a private charity
    actually werking in retail is very physically and mentally demanding if you werk for a busy/ big store with heavy items

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaffle)
    actually werking in retail is very physically and mentally demanding if you werk for a busy/ big store with heavy items

I have done it, and it sucked.
    I didn't say they were lazy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    "???" You said people on benefits have "never worked a day in their lives." That's what's untrue. Because yes I said ppl who are on benefits many times need to show they are at least trying to work or they get sanctioned, or they simply cannot work. Again is this false? No. So how are they "lazy" when they need to be actively seeking work or are too ill to work? I've already said in my 1st post that you quoted and cropped out, that there are other types of benefits where people don't need to work at all in order to first get it, but to keep getting benefits, there are conditions and consequences. If you had just read it instead of knee jerk responding to the first sentence we wouldn't still be discussing this.
    Oh my dear God you are thick as hell! Literally not worth a response, no wonder you're on benefits, you're an idiot who is unemployable. Learn to read, seriously. Blanking you now as I may as well speak to a brick wall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why would you? People will hate on those that don't work, but then also hate on those that work retail. Somebody has to do it. Fair play to them.

ReputationRep:
    That sort of job is really only for students, immigrants or part timers. Doing it for more than a year....well may aswell give up and hit the roads. Doing min wage 9-5 really gains you absolutely nothing you piss away 40 hours a week and lose most of it in tax, you dont meet interesting people only 3rd worlders/chavs and dullards and certainly its not good for meeting men/women.

ReputationRep:
    I earned £15 per hour plus overtime for a short while. Whilst the security (twice annual bonuses, unlimited overtime pay, and an epic pension) was comforting, I was miserable. I've recently secured a part-time job that pays considerably less, and I'm volunteering as well. A person's income doesn't determine their worth; I'm far happier when I'm not frazzled by stress and high expectations. People who look down on those who do seemingly 'unskilled' jobs can, quite frankly, go **** themselves.

As an aside: People who do work are no better than people who don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Well, odds are they are uneducated.
    This is not true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    This is not true
    Yes it is.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is.
    Are you aware that many uni grads work in places like tesco whilst gaining experience to strengthen applications?
    Are you also aware that many university students work in Tesco to help fund costs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Are you aware that many uni grads work in places like tesco whilst gaining experience to strengthen applications?
    Are you also aware that many university students work in Tesco to help fund costs?
    How many of them are older than 30?

ReputationRep:
    How many of them are older than 30?
    I don't know. It's not as if you you used any stats to backup your assumption. How would you even know if they're educated or not? Do you stop to ask them?

ReputationRep:
    Not really.. some people arent lucky in life and manz need to work..

ReputationRep:
    Some people on here really need some respect. Why would you look down on someone that is working to earn a living?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Not at all. Who am I to judge someone for working an honest job? I'm not going to judge someone when i don't know a single thing about them or their circumstances or anything. Maybe they need that job for a reason. Maybe it's a 2nd job. Maybe they just enjoy doing that job. Who cares? They're working and they're getting a wage. There's nothing wrong there.

ReputationRep:
    No, I respect them because they have to be nice to crappy customers who cannot be bothered to put items such as shower gel back on the shelf where it belongs and not to dump it into, e.g. frozen section :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Not usually as I am below average height

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    I look down on 30 plus year olds on minimum wage.
    An adult cannot survive on a minimum wage
    An adult cannot survive on minimum wage, is that surely not a poor reflection of our government as opposed to the individual? A large proportion of the adult work force earn minimum wage, they are still vital jobs for our country. Why punish them with a wage they cannot survive on...

When I worked past time in Tesco a lot of the people were 30+ and were decent people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    An adult cannot survive on minimum wage, is that surely not a poor reflection of our government as opposed to the individual? A large proportion of the adult work force earn minimum wage, they are still vital jobs for our country. Why punish them with a wage they cannot survive on...

When I worked past time in Tesco a lot of the people were 30+ and were decent people.
    It's very easy to survive on minimum wage (provided you have near enough full time hours) outside of London.

Obviously one wants promotion and a higher wage though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    It's very easy to survive on minimum wage (provided you have near enough full time hours) outside of London.

Obviously one wants promotion and a higher wage though.
    I disagree, whilst many seek higher wage and the more money the better; many will have no interest in promotion, with promotion comes stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.