Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MHoC By-Election: Voting watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be elected as an MP in seat 50?
    Aph
    2.94%
    adam9317
    21.57%
    Birchington
    22.55%
    george_c00per
    33.33%
    ABoyHasNoName
    16.67%
    (Spoilt ballot)
    2.94%

ReputationRep:
    This policy on Air Ambulances and the RNLI sounds similar to something I suggested in the Labour chit chat thread.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    This policy on Air Ambulances and the RNLI sounds similar to something I suggested in the Labour chit chat thread.
    Air ambulances are already done.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Birchington, do you even support the state endorsing the suicide of its own people?
    Provided there are appropriate parameters and safeguards to prevent abuse, I support the introduction of euthanasia accessible to those of rational mind who wish to end their life - particularly for those suffering from life-limiting illness.

Birchington, your manifesto is not very personal.
    Fair enough.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Birchington)
    Provided there are appropriate parameters and safeguards to prevent abuse, I support the introduction of euthanasia accessible to those of rational mind who wish to end their life - particularly for those suffering from life-limiting illness.

Fair enough.
    The exact same thing was said of abortion, legalising assisted suicide is a slippery slope

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The exact same thing was said of abortion, legalising assisted suicide is a slippery slope

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't see how it is.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I don't see how it is.
    I believe abortion was initially with the same terms proposed for assisted suicide, possibly slightly lighter, now you just go to the correct place and give them the cash

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I believe abortion was initially with the same terms proposed for assisted suicide, possibly slightly lighter, now you just go to the correct place and give them the cash

Posted from TSR Mobile

But surely if someone has a terrible terminal illness, are paralysed or have another serious condition, they should have the right to die? Surely it is better for someone to die in a hospital than in front of a train or off a cliff?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But surely if someone has a terrible terminal illness, are paralysed or have another serious condition, they should have the right to die? Surely it is better for someone to die in a hospital than in front of a train or off a cliff?
    If they want to die get s load of paracetamol and OD

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If they want to die get s load of paracetamol and OD

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No :facepalm: What's wrong with dying in a hospital?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No :facepalm: What's wrong with dying in a hospital?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The very thing you came in on, perhaps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    And a process of match funding donations in some way would be the simplest way of helping the RNLI. Their website quotes an average of 22 lives saved per day.

Would future potential lifeboat crew join up if it was a government run organisation? Would oversight mean that some lifeboat volunteers who are not on the boats (such as fundraisers) be put off by red tape? Oversight would mean paying people to be on committees and produce reports, not buying extra or newer boats and equipment.
    Exactly my thoughts

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    And a process of match funding donations in some way would be the simplest way of helping the RNLI. Their website quotes an average of 22 lives saved per day.

Would future potential lifeboat crew join up if it was a government run organisation? Would oversight mean that some lifeboat volunteers who are not on the boats (such as fundraisers) be put off by red tape? Oversight would mean paying people to be on committees and produce reports, not buying extra or newer boats and equipment.
    "properly fund" - may mean match funding.

Oversight =/= Nationalisation. The RNLI already produce reports, we would simply expect these to include details of how all state funds are being utilised and these reports would be sent to the relevant Minister.

(Original post by Andy98)
    Exactly my thoughts
    Then you argued it horrendously.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Then you argued it horrendously.
    That's my job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    "properly fund" - may mean match funding.

Oversight =/= Nationalisation. The RNLI already produce reports, we would simply expect these to include details of how all state funds are being utilised and these reports would be sent to the relevant Minister. * *Then you argued it horrendously.
    What is wrong with just reading the reports required under company and charity law? *Why does a minister need to be involved then. I do not think oversight will mean just a couple of reports to a minister. There would be interference and bureaucracy.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask for the candidates views on the Chilcot report?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Can I ask for the candidates views on the Chilcot report?
    I think it's far too long and far too late but it's better than nothing.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't see how it is.
    If you look at those who have gone to Dignitas in Switzerland, you would see how it could become a slippery slope. *It fails completely to recognise certain mental illnesses or the pressure that may be put on people by bullies or rich relatives. *Palliative care and better mental health treatment is the better way.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think it's far too long and far too late but it's better than nothing.
    I didn't realise you were a candidate
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If you look at those who have gone to Dignitas in Switzerland, you would see how it could become a slippery slope. *It fails completely to recognise certain mental illnesses or the pressure that may be put on people by bullies or rich relatives. *Palliative care and better mental health treatment is the better way.
    Would carrying out thorough assessments before people have assisted deaths be a compromise?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I didn't realise you were a candidate
    I'm not. I thought I'd give my opinion as a special gift to the House.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.