Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    No way. 16 year olds know nothing about politics, this is coming from a person turning 16 next month, I know what my peers are more interested in...

ReputationRep:
    i completely agree that 16 & 17 year olds should be able to vote. we are entitled and mature enough to have our say.

i am open to helping with anything that needs to be done to ensure that we manage to achieve this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisN)
    == We believe 16 and 17 year olds deserve to be heard in elections. If you agree and would like to get involved in researching our approach and then campaigning for change, please get in touch==

Having worked at The Student Room for 10 years, and as a College Governor at Brighton and Hove Sixth Form College, I've been overwhelmed by the number of highly engaged young students having really well informed debates on key political issues. This is sometimes more than can be said for much of the adult population.

As you turn 16 and 17 you gain the rights to get married, have children, join the army, drive, fly planes, as well as the to go to adult prison. As young people, you will also have to live with the consequences of political decisions for longer than any of the rest of us. To me it feels like a relic from the past that your voice is excluded from important political decisions. You have a right for your opinions to be listened to at the highest levels, and on the most important issues.

During the EU referendum our polls showed that 82% of 16 and 17 year olds wanted to Remain, so clearly your views were not well represented by the general voting population. Interestingly though, 16 and 17 year olds polled similarly to 18-24 year olds - 75% of whom voted Remain (YouGov after the vote), so broadly in line with your closest peers.

Scotland lowered the voting age to 16 in 2014 for the independence vote, and are now extending it for all elections. With the current sweeping political change in the UK we feel that the time is right to follow their lead, and to push to get the UK parliament to adopt this progressive position.

So with that in mind, we would like to identify driven members of the TSR community who would like to get involved in researching, refining our position, and campaigning for this change, with the support of TSR to assist with political contacts, public relations and lobbying. We will consider whether to go this alone, or to join up with other organisations.

As TSR is used by 75% of the 16-24 population, and gets 8.5 million visits to our websites each month, we are often approached, and listened to, by the political establishment as well as other media, and we feel it is right to use this position to help drive through a change we feel so passionately about.

If this is a cause that you feel strongly that you would like to help with, then post your interest in here, and we will get a private forum set-up to start discussing the best route forwards.

We want to do our bit to ensure your voice is heard. We hope you do too, and will join us in making this happen.

We understand their will be differences of opinion on this subject, and that's fine too.

Thanks

Chris
    HI i'd be interested to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatIsSleep)
    2) 16 year olds, once they finish GCSEs, can work full time (though that might be changing)
    No, they can't. Either carry on with full-time education or do an apprenticeship, there is no option to go into work full-time.
    3) That's an extreme case, besides, anyone who studied GCSE history would know that communism is a bad idea. There are already some bad ideas anyway, (BNP, anyone?).
    I studied GCSE History and there's a good chance I would have voted for a communist party if I could have voted at 16.

Also, the BNP is a perfectly respectable political party. People act as if there is some consensus that the BNP is terrible and it's ok to mock them, even in situations when political neutrality is required. It's embarrassing.
    4) Actually, the Remain vote wouldn't have won. I posted this on tsr a few weeks ago; a friend on facebook made the following post:
    "1,545,382 16 to 17-year-olds living in the UK as according to mid-2013 data: our population is only getting older, so presumably there are fewer 16 to 17-year-olds now, but we'll still use this figure.
    100% of this number can be part of the electorate.
    we assume the number of 16 to 17 non-citizens studying inside the UK is roughly the same as the number of 16 to 17 citizens studying outside the UK. turnout might be 36%, so 556,337 people would vote.
    turnout for 18-24-year-olds was 36% as according to Sky Data: this would potentially be even lower for 16-17-year-olds due to the trend of turnout increasing by age (and starkly vice versa).
    72% of these votes might be to remain, meaning 400,563 more remain votes.

conclusion: remain might have lost with a little bit less of a gap (precisely 3.2% of a gap)"
    Very interesting, I'll retract my statement then, even though there are more assumptions in that analysis than I'd like. Even so, I do feel that with all the old-people-hate after the referendum, there is some pro-Remain agenda behind extending the franchise to 16-year-olds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3rmit)
    There are immature people in all age groups, and you don't suddenly become more mature when you reach 18. And, it is younger people's future, and they deserve to have their say. All you can do is engage in mature discussion. Count me in.
    Thank you! My views exactly! What is the magic number of 18? I think that if 16 year olds can get a job, married, claim benefits.....they should be represented1

ReputationRep:
    too many idiots our age sorry m8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMackyTv)
    No way. 16 year olds know nothing about politics, this is coming from a person turning 16 next month, I know what my peers are more interested in...
    Having the option to vote does not mean you have to vote.
    If your peers are not interested in politics then they wouldn't vote.
    And just so you know there are 18, 25, 40 and 70 year olds who also aren't interested in politics.
    I don't know why you think that you do not deserve a say in our country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisN)
    == We believe 16 and 17 year olds deserve to be heard in elections. If you agree and would like to get involved in researching our approach and then campaigning for change, please get in touch==

Having worked at The Student Room for 10 years, and as a College Governor at Brighton and Hove Sixth Form College, I've been overwhelmed by the number of highly engaged young students having really well informed debates on key political issues. This is sometimes more than can be said for much of the adult population.

As you turn 16 and 17 you gain the rights to get married, have children, join the army, drive, fly planes, as well as the to go to adult prison. As young people, you will also have to live with the consequences of political decisions for longer than any of the rest of us. To me it feels like a relic from the past that your voice is excluded from important political decisions. You have a right for your opinions to be listened to at the highest levels, and on the most important issues.

During the EU referendum our polls showed that 82% of 16 and 17 year olds wanted to Remain, so clearly your views were not well represented by the general voting population. Interestingly though, 16 and 17 year olds polled similarly to 18-24 year olds - 75% of whom voted Remain (YouGov after the vote), so broadly in line with your closest peers.

Scotland lowered the voting age to 16 in 2014 for the independence vote, and are now extending it for all elections. With the current sweeping political change in the UK we feel that the time is right to follow their lead, and to push to get the UK parliament to adopt this progressive position.

So with that in mind, we would like to identify driven members of the TSR community who would like to get involved in researching, refining our position, and campaigning for this change, with the support of TSR to assist with political contacts, public relations and lobbying. We will consider whether to go this alone, or to join up with other organisations.

As TSR is used by 75% of the 16-24 population, and gets 8.5 million visits to our websites each month, we are often approached, and listened to, by the political establishment as well as other media, and we feel it is right to use this position to help drive through a change we feel so passionately about.

If this is a cause that you feel strongly that you would like to help with, then post your interest in here, and we will get a private forum set-up to start discussing the best route forwards.

We want to do our bit to ensure your voice is heard. We hope you do too, and will join us in making this happen.

We understand their will be differences of opinion on this subject, and that's fine too.

Thanks

Chris
    Absolutely for this
    Have already signed numerous petitions for this. Pity our current government are ignoring our voices just so there views can rule.

ReputationRep:
    The reality is the reason our government did not let 16 year olds and up vote and the reason they continue to not allow us to have a say is because it would hold them back from doing what they want.
    If 16+ year olds had been able to vote in the referendum we would still be in the EU. And whilst David Cameron may have been pro remain, the majority of the conservative party were not and therefore they chose to simply ignore our voices so that they would have a better chance of winning.
    Can anyone here really say that they don't believe 16+ would be given more of a voice if the majority of them were pro-leave.
    Even now, on talk shows about the referendum, the youth continue to be ignored when it is us being affected most.
    Scotland recognised their youth deserved a say. Why don't England?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alextaylor6)
    too many idiots our age sorry m8
    Do you have actual evidence as to there being more 'idiots' aged 16-18 than 18-20?
    And anyway who do you classify as an 'idiot".
    Is it someone who simply has different views from you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by issy.roberts)
    Do you have actual evidence as to there being more 'idiots' aged 16-18 than 18-20?
    Simple, 16-18 year olds have next to little real life experience. The more experience one gains, the less of an idiot they are likely to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    Simple, 16-18 year olds have next to little real life experience. The more experience one gains, the less of an idiot they are likely to be.
    You know, I see your point but everybody has less life experience than someone
    else.
    A 18 year old has less life experience than a 90 year old yet they still get a say, even though they are more 'likely to be an idiot'.
    And its not only years that give you life experience.

ReputationRep:
    Scotland recognised their youth deserved a say. Why don't England?
    You do realise that if the YESNP thought for a nano second that 16-17 YOs would vote "Naw" they would not have been included.

ReputationRep:
    tend to mature as you age, as for classifying an "idiot" you sound like a good example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i would say anyone who has reached the age of criminal responsibility should be able to vote.
    (Original post by the bear)
    if you are old enough to be punished for your crimes you are old enough to vote. *
    You want ten-year-olds to be given the vote?

ReputationRep:
    You know, I see your point but everybody has less life experience than someone
    else.
    A 18 year old has less life experience than a 90 year old yet they still get a say, even though they are more 'likely to be an idiot'.
    And its not only years that give you life experience.
    And a cut of point is required, what is next, 15 year olds to vote? A point has to be made where a large chunk of people do start to have life experience, and at least are capable of legally doing everything. The idea what someone is not legally old enough to go to war but old enough to vote for wars (at least indirectly) is laughable.

ReputationRep:
    This would be quite cool.

Screw the NHS, high rate tax and renewable energy.

You could win a General Election by promising 3Gb free data to everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viffer)
    You do realise that if the YESNP thought for a nano second that 16-17 YOs would vote "Naw" they would not have been included.
    Of course I recognise that...thats my point before
    But luckily for Scotland's youth they didn't think.
    And their lack of thinking about their gain of this change in law, resulted in the just and right thing being done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    And a cut of point is required, what is next, 15 year olds to vote? A point has to be made where a large chunk of people do start to have life experience, and at least are capable of legally doing everything. The idea what someone is not legally old enough to go to war but old enough to vote for wars (at least indirectly) is laughable.
    Of course a point has to be made where a large chunk of people have life experience, but why do you think this point is 18?
    A 16 year old can go to adult jail, get married, claim some benefits, buy a property.....
    And perhaps an 16 year old cannot go to war, but the majority of 18 year olds are not going to go to war either so...
    And people over the age of 60 do not go to war either, so should they not get a say?
    What about the ill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alextaylor6)
    tend to mature as you age, as for classifying an "idiot" you sound like a good example
    Well if we're going by age lets go at 22 then, you maturer then than you are at 18.
    And I think you should leave your side of the discussion to The_Opinion. Simply becoming rude and nasty just shows how you are feeling weak and are stuck for points.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.