16.40%
    model
    7.14%
    artist
    11.64%

ReputationRep:
    No drug dealer option?

ReputationRep:
    Investment Banker, Property Tycoon, Angel Investor - or anything closely related to those three.

ReputationRep:
    I chose doctor - saving lives, being compassionate, dealing with all different types of people. two of my biggest ever crushes were male doctors i knew.

man i would love to be married to a doctor

ReputationRep:
    roadman

ReputationRep:
    obviously model.

ReputationRep:
    The irony when "model" is the least selected option in this poll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    How can a career even be hot :lol:
    Signalling. Sociologists spend a lot of time studying symbols of social status, capital and culture, prestige, etc. What somebody does for a living, assuming they don't just do it for money (which says something about that person), ought to say something about that person and their values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biryani007)
    Dentist :fan:
    Sellouts who convince themselves that they made a conscious choice not to become a doctor and instead look at teeth for a living.

Sexy

ReputationRep:
    Engineer or Software related aren't even given a pity mention........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shootme)
    Engineer or Software related aren't even given a pity mention........
    I think these only become sexy when 'technology entrepreneur' which is really another way of saying 'business owner' and has nothing to do with the technology itself. Convince me that coding is sexy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athematica)
    I think these only become sexy when 'technology entrepreneur' which is really another way of saying 'business owner' and has nothing to do with the technology itself. Convince me that coding is sexy
    Convince me investing someone's blood soaked drug money is mutual funds is sexy.

ReputationRep:
    Convince me investing someone's blood soaked drug money is mutual funds is sexy.
    You had me at blood

ReputationRep:
    You had me at blood
    You treat it as a joke but it's what they do consistently among other illegal ****.

ReputationRep:
    Roadman

ReputationRep:
    Sexy careers seem to have high stakes.

With finance, it's the risk involved in the investment of millions or billions of dollars and, in some's views, the 'dirty' money alluded to above.
    In medicine, it's somebody's life in their hands.
    A lawyer theoretically would also have somebody's life in their hands, risking prison if not advocating well for a client.

Probably we have Doctor ---> Lawyer ---> IB here. Even though most doctors and lawyers are not dealing in high stakes environments, there is a seriousness to what Drs do always, in that it 'actually' matters, and some lawyers have this too.

The moral nature of each job then seems to be another axis that others will vary on how highly they score. This is more readily related to social status.
    Doctor ---> Lawyer ---> IB, in general, on that axis.

Then there is a power/wealth axis.
    IB ---> Lawyer ---> Doctor In the UK, Drs do not earn much at all really.

So probably if we're going for mass appeal then Dr ---> Lawyer ---> Banker
    But some girls will be attracted to and give one axis more weight than another

ReputationRep:
    You treat it as a joke but it's what they do consistently among other illegal ****.
    So do drug dealers. That's hot

ReputationRep:
    Signalling. Sociologists spend a lot of time studying symbols of social status, capital and culture, prestige, etc. What somebody does for a living, assuming they don't just do it for money (which says something about that person), ought to say something about that person and their values.
    That'd make a career attractive rather than hot, since hot = sexually appealing.

ReputationRep:
    None.

Fight against ISIS and do something worthwhile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    That'd make a career attractive rather than hot, since hot = sexually appealing.
    People are sexually attracted to that which signals those things, ie. power and status.

ReputationRep:
    Greggs Worker (no specific reason...)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 9, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Tea vs coffee

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.