Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Street fights/gunfire between police and army rebels Istanbul.
    (Live on Arabic aljazera, their reporter is right there)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grumpyteen)
    But I think my parents will still insist on going to Turkey. I'm just hoping officials ban tourists from going to Turkey or something so we don't have to go
    Kind of thinking the same as well.. I know nothing might even happen but it will be very unstable and you never know what could occur.

ReputationRep:
    With Erdogan telling people to take to the streets and doing his speech via the Internet, it looks like he knows the clock is ticking.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Reports coming in that Erdogan was refused landing at Istanbul and is now trying to get asylum in Germany.

Possibly false though. Can't imagine why the Turkish armed forces would pass up an opportunity to arrest him upon landing.

ReputationRep:
    Shits kicking off big time!

ReputationRep:
    Huge explosion in Ankara, plume of smoke
    Spoiler:
    Show
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cnb2DjpWYAo1PWM.jpg:large

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Reports coming in that Erdogan was refused landing at Istanbul and is now trying to get asylum in Germany.
    Like every other migrant lol

ReputationRep:
    Al-Jazera: Loyalist army personnel come out to face rebels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    We can only hope its a coup, anything is better than Erdogan

Friday night is always the best time for a coup, imo, since things can settle down before the working week

Edit: here's the Reddit live thread. https://www.reddit.com/live/x9gf3donjlkq

Summary: Looks like a group (now looks like they are Ataturkists) in the Turkish military took their head general hostage, taken over TV stations, airport, bridges, shot down a police helecopter, called a curfew and martial law, social media partially blocked. The military statement is that secularism needs to be restored. Erdogan's party called for people to get on the streets. Unfortunately Erdogan is apparently safe, and his PM is and has been claiming for a while that the coup has failed. Erdogan has issued a statement from an undisclosed secure location.

Apparently, Turkish military sees itself sort of as the constitutional guardians of secularism (the legacy of Ataturk). They are expected to kick off a coup if the government gets too religious.
    This is fantastic news! Without Erdogan the support for ISIS could stop. As could the inhumane treatment of the Kurds.
    Without Erdogan the Kurds may get some autonomy from Turkey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    Huge explosion in Ankara, plume of smoke
    Spoiler:
    Show
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cnb2DjpWYAo1PWM.jpg:large
    im telling you all these explosions are a sign of ww3.

(Original post by Filler)
    im telling you all these explosions are a sign of ww3.
    No, WW3 won't start until November, when the Chinese invade Japan

ReputationRep:
    This was done from skype, I hope they don't win.
    So you are against the coup, may I ask why?

ReputationRep:
    Like every other migrant lol
    Genuinely made me lol .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    So you are against the coup, may I ask why?
    I am pro coup, I meant that I am anti Erdogan, **** him.

ReputationRep:
    https://twitter.com/Souria4Syrians/s...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Turkish Army shot pro-Erdogan fanatic who ran at army positions screaming "Allahu Akbar"

ReputationRep:
    This is what it feels like watching the news

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    No, WW3 won't start until November, when the Chinese invade Japan
    It has already started my friend. This is the build up of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    Kind of thinking the same as well.. I know nothing might even happen but it will be very unstable and you never know what could occur.
    My mum just said to me she dosent think we will be going to Turkey now. Brilliant news! Or is it... I'm not sure but I am slightly less worried now

ReputationRep:
    Claims from Turkish sources on air that head of Turkish military has been killed and that the heads of the Turkish Air Force and Land Forces are behind the coup.

ReputationRep:
    Erdogan apparently gave armed forces legal immunity two days ago.

Erdogan looks a bit better now and the explosion at the television station looks like he's trying to stage a fightback. But, the longer this goes on, the harder it is to turn around.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.