Turn on thread page Beta

Who would you like to see as the next president of the United States? watch

• View Poll Results: Who would you like to see as the next president of the United States?
    Joe Biden
    0%
    Dennis Kucinich
    1.09%
    Bill Richardson
    2.17%
    Hilary Clinton
    25.00%
    Sam Brownback
    0%
    Jim Gilmore
    0%
    Christopher Dodd
    0%
    Rudy Giuliani
    10.87%
    Duncan Hunter
    0%
    John McCain
    4.35%
    Mike Gravel
    0%
    Barrack Obama
    29.35%
    Fred Thompson
    1.09%
    John Edwards
    5.43%
    Ron Paul
    15.22%
    Other
    5.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvictus)
    That is the biggest bunch of rubbish I have ever heard. That lying rat voted for the war when it was popular, and is now happy to leave those boys she condemned in the desert without funding or support when it suits her political agenda. Hilary should be exposed for who she is, a criminal fraud who could make Cheney and Rumsfeld look good.
    She voted to fund the 'whatever you want to call it since it has not been declared a war' not to declare war. In the US the President cannot declare war, he can only wage war- it is Congress' job do declare it. She gave Bush the leeway he sought after 9-11. He betrayed the trust and flexibility that Congress allowed him and he is really the only person responsible for this.

ReputationRep:
    After the whole Bush fiasco, I thought they were just going to do away with the republican party....? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    After the whole Bush fiasco, I thought they were just going to do away with the republican party....? :confused:
    Lol. It really gives you an idea of just how much the Republican party dominates American politics for it to still have a good chance of winning the next election after eight quite terrible years of Bush (Republican) rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -1984-)
    Lol. It really gives you an idea of just how much the Republican party dominates American politics for it to still have a good chance of winning the next election after eight quite terrible years of Bush (Republican) rule.
    Didn't your country reelect Labour and Blair after the dragged you into a war that the majority of you population was against?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvictus)
    Didn't your country reelect Labour and Blair after the dragged you into a war that the majority of you population was against?
    Fair enough. However, most would agree that aside from the Iraq war, the Blair administration has been quite successful in Britain, unlike the Bush administration in the US.

Furthermore, even though Labour was re-elected, the Labour majority crashed from a 160+ majority to barely 60+ MPs, unlike the share of Bush's vote in the Presidential election which actually increased.

ReputationRep:
    Women are actually a majority. Again, why do you dislike her so much? Is she too liberal for your taste?
    Well, maybe people dislike her for her views on the role of the state in society. Also, her ascendancy in politics has been *extremely* calculating and most people are suspicious of anyone who wants to be president too much (same knock goes against Obama).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Well, maybe people dislike her for her views on the role of the state in society. Also, her ascendancy in politics has been *extremely* calculating and most people are suspicious of anyone who wants to be president too much
    Hit the nail on the head. There's a fair point (and not at all judgemental) to be made of the fact that she's still married to Bill Clinton, even though he's admitted to two affairs with other women and dozens of other rumours. It seems desperately careerist of her to go so far as defending him in public (the "right wing conspiracy" crap) to retain her own position - as First Lady, then as a Senator for New York.

The statist thing was brilliantly illustrated by Obama's supporters, I think, with the 1984 parody on Youtube. It captured her style of omnipresence and monotony perfectly, without being a misrepresentative attack ad.

It really gives you an idea of just how much the Republican party dominates American politics for it to still have a good chance of winning the next election after eight quite terrible years of Bush (Republican) rule...

Furthermore, even though Labour was re-elected, the Labour majority crashed from a 160+ majority to barely 60+ MPs, unlike the share of Bush's vote in the Presidential election which actually increased.
    Conveniently ignoring the fact that the Republican dominance of the House and Senate (won by Gingrich in 94 after 40 years of Dem control of House) was overturned last year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thermoregulatio)
    Conveniently ignoring the fact that the Republican dominance of the House and Senate (won by Gingrich in 94 after 40 years of Dem control of House) was overturned last year?
    Oh whoopdie do. After 10 years of consecutive Republican control and a disastrous war, the Democrats managed to scrap a majority in Congress.

The Republicans have dominated American politics in the latter half of the twentieth century. I think very few would doubt that.

ReputationRep:
    Her ascendency in politics was only possible because she is married to Bill Clinton. She got to work at the rose law firm because Bill was governor of arkansas at the time. Her botched attempt at nationalizing much of our healthcare happened because Bill Clinton was president. She was elected senator in a state she never set foot in because of Bill Clinton.

ReputationRep:
    Oh whoopdie do. After 10 years of consecutive Republican control and a disastrous war, the Democrats managed to scrap a majority in Congress.

The Republicans have dominated American politics in the latter half of the twentieth century. I think very few would doubt that.
    Not true. Let's look at how many times each party has controlled the two major legislative bodies and the Presidency between 1950 and 2000 ("the latter half of the twentieth century"):

Senate: Democrats - 34 years; Republicans - 16 years
    House: Democrats - 42 years; Republicans - 8 years
    Presidency: Democrats - 22 years; Republicans - 28 years

A greater number of Presidents have come from the Republican party in this period, perhaps - but they've always had to face an unfriendly House and almost always an unfriendly Senate (only Reagan had the Senate with him). Even Nixon's 1972 landslide win (60% of the popular vote) was compromised by a Democrat-controlled House (51% of popular vote, 55% of House seats) and Senate (57-43 Dem-Rep).

The second half of the twentieth Century was clearly dominated by the Democratic party. If you still aren't convinced, do you have any evidence to the contrary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Her ascendency in politics was only possible because she is married to Bill Clinton. She got to work at the rose law firm because Bill was governor of arkansas at the time. Her botched attempt at nationalizing much of our healthcare happened because Bill Clinton was president. She was elected senator in a state she never set foot in because of Bill Clinton.
    Didn't seem to matter when you voted for George Jr now did it?? I LOVE republicans...

The difference is she got into Yale by herself.

ReputationRep:
    Well, maybe people dislike her for her views on the role of the state in society. Also, her ascendancy in politics has been *extremely* calculating and most people are suspicious of anyone who wants to be president too much (same knock goes against Obama).
    Ok, I'll concede Hillary, but how do figure Obama??

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'll concede Hillary, but how do figure Obama??
    He's been aiming for national attention since his senate campaign. All of his political moves and stances have been calculated less for representing his Illinois constituency than by garnering national attention. Not to mention that he's going straight into a presidential campaign before even completing a term as a senator. Even my friends that don't follow politics (many of whom lean to the left) said "Boy, that Obama guy is doing whatever it takes to get to be president, isn't he?"

ReputationRep:
    Didn't seem to matter when you voted for George Jr now did it?? I LOVE republicans...

Um, you are aware that the Rodhams aren't exactly white trash?

ReputationRep:
    He's been aiming for national attention since his senate campaign. All of his political moves and stances have been calculated less for representing his Illinois constituency than by garnering national attention. Not to mention that he's going straight into a presidential campaign before even completing a term as a senator. Even my friends that don't follow politics (many of whom lean to the left) said "Boy, that Obama guy is doing whatever it takes to get to be president, isn't he?"
    I haven't heard anyone say anything like that. All of these politicians have had their eye on the prize for a long time now. You do not get into a position to run for president without some long term planning. I think you are just being critical of the two democratic front runners because you disagree with them...

ReputationRep:
    Um, you are aware that the Rodhams aren't exactly white trash?
    What are you implying that because her family was wealthy that means she didn't earn her place at Yale? You call that one liner an argument?

D&D is pretty sad these days....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thermoregulatio)
    Not true. Let's look at how many times each party has controlled the two major legislative bodies and the Presidency between 1950 and 2000 ("the latter half of the twentieth century"):

Senate: Democrats - 34 years; Republicans - 16 years
    House: Democrats - 42 years; Republicans - 8 years
    Presidency: Democrats - 22 years; Republicans - 28 years

The second half of the twentieth Century was clearly dominated by the Democratic party. If you still aren't convinced, do you have any evidence to the contrary?
    I think I should have said 1979 onwards, the Republicans have dominated American politics rather than the 'latter half' of the twentieth century.

ReputationRep:
    What are you implying that because her family was wealthy that means she didn't earn her place at Yale? You call that one liner an argument?
    That is precisely what you were saying about GW Bush - that he only got into Yale because of his family connections. If it isn't a valid argument per se, then your attempt to imply it about Bush isn't valid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toth8)
    I couldn't give a flying **** who is the president. All candidates are statist and value big government.

errr apart from Ron Paul.

Hence I'd say RON PAUL!!!! Seriously, its Ron Paul or nothing. He wants to abolish the federal reserve.... just like JFK did.
    If he wins... I will literally orgasm. It will be the biggest spanner in the New World Order machine in a long time.

But you know nowt about american politics so who cares what you think? Anyone who thinks Bush was a real republican knows nothing about US politics.... open borders, anti-gun, anti-free speech, massive increase in govt spending, interventionist foreign policy... the guy is anything but republican. You should listen to US talk radio.

ReputationRep:

D&D is pretty sad these days....
    No, but you make it seem as if she had to work her way up from the slums by stating it like that. Point of fact is that it's much easier to earn your place in an Ivy League school when you come from a wealthy family, because they can afford you more educational advantages. I didn't say that her family bought her way in, but I'm not going to admire a well-connected applicant's acceptance to a prestigious university in comparison with someone who proved themselves to be exceptional without those same advantages.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.