Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    Which UK universities would be comparable with somewhere like ULCA, UVA and NYU in the USA?
    I disagree that UCLA is in the ranks of UVA and NYU. UCLA has much more research grants than the other two and produce more patients per year with faculty of higher citation count. NYU has an excellent business school.

ReputationRep:
    UCLA is equivalent to UVa in my view, but NYU definitely is not. It's business school isn't excellent really; it's just one of the few undergraduate business schools that is decent. I'd put UVa's and U Mich's undergrad business programs ahead of NYU Stern. And at the MBA level, there are many schools better than NYU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heartbreaker)
    St Andrews is at least as good as Edinburgh and better than SOAS.
    st andrews is crap ok im being a little overboard here but honestly is no where near as good as edinburgh (thanks for the spelling lol) its just got the best propaganda machine ever i mean people even think its as good as Oxbridge!!!

as for soas its completely underated by people who dont know about it. In what it does it does better than most and its graduates are officially the highest paid of any other university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IguessIwin)
    st andrews is crap ok im being a little overboard here but honestly is no where near as good as edinburgh (thanks for the spelling lol) its just got the best propaganda machine ever i mean people even think its as good as Oxbridge!!!

as for soas its completely underated by people who dont know about it. In what it does it does better than most and its graduates are officially the highest paid of any other university.
    Where you got that from? The last time I checked, Imperial grads were the best paid in the country.

Why is Edinburgh better than St. Andrews then?

ReputationRep:
    lol rankings are so full of crap, no-one in their right mind would go to anu for science !

ReputationRep:
    Condeleezza Rice is a professor of Stanford
    Well that doesn't speak very well of the university.
    Hiring a sociopath and a compulsive liar seems to me as a bad way of promoting academic integrity. Btw, where are the WMDs?

ReputationRep:
    She's not a sociopath; she's a neo-con, and her politics are terrible, but she certainly doesn't have a psychological disorder. She also happens to be a former child genius. Anyway, she was at Stanford for ages before she was appointed to the Bush administration.

BTW...she's wildly unpopular. I've heard professors blatantly disrespect her. But she is important and well-received in certain academic circles. A good university needs to be open to a wide-range of ideas and support academic freedom. It should provide its students with the tools to challenge those ideas that they don't agree with.

Why is there so much hostility over this topic, people should calm down. Discussion is good though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just pop in into this thread. Well, I'd say a correct interpretation is this ranking:
    http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2007/ARWU2007_Top100.htm

Basically, the ranking measures their academic achievement, such as the no. of papers published in world renowned science journals, awards like Nobel Prize / Field Medals won etc...., and above all it also factors in the size of the school.

Basically, the only top 10 universities from UK are only Oxford and Cambridge, and Imperial is ranked 23rd, between Kyoto and Toronto.

The ranking is more inclined towards the academic caliber of the school in science (natural + social) in overall. Obviously, for arts, it's totally different then.

ReputationRep:
    I would never say St Andrews is crap...far from it. Its IR department is meant to be very good and generally its a very good university. It also has a good old boys network in the UK as does Edinburgh.

I think the two are quite easily matched with some courses better at St A's and some better at Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I, too, believe that St Andrews is an amazing uni for undergrad education. I'm not sure though if it's postgrad education is as good as its undergrad education. But it has a very good reputation for undergrad education and postgrad IR in the US.

ReputationRep:
    as far as i know it has the only school dedicated to IR in the UK so that wouldnt surprise me...plenty of US exchange programmes as well.

ReputationRep:
    Shadey is probably one of those posters in this forum taht asks questions when he's curious but contribute vastly and sincerely when he knows something. He's definitely one of the members here that floored me. Nice job, bro! :beer:

ReputationRep:
    thanks ilagan...your definately the man to talk to about US unis!

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I've read a couple of pages and got really bored of the hostility and aggression in this post.

PERSONALLY(!!), I would choose Oxbridge for undergrad education (and i did so) and US universities for postgrad. It will give me a better perspective of a particular subject around the globe and meet academics from both countries. Furthermore, if you've known what you want to specalise, go for Oxbridge. Otherwise, top US universities will be the choice and I don't believe they are far behind Oxbridge in undergrad education (particularly princeton).

About Stanford: PERSONALLY, I really love this university! If I had another choice, I might choose Stanford over Oxbridge. Stanford provides so many opportunities at undergraduate level: foreign exchange programme (including one to Oxford), grants for independent research, numerous internships, etc. I'm currently considering doing my pHD at Stanford and as Shady says, I've figured out Stanford is very similiar to Harvard--big endowments, world-class facilities, close to silicon valley which means high technology across the campus, etc. Stanford is elite with its own reason. Although people are attacking Shady's point of view and way of analysis, I think he's merely telling his experience.

Top US universities tend to attract students of higher quality around the world (particularly in Asia) but not so much at Oxbridge. That's probably why in some parts of the world, top US universities seem to be superior than Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day i think alot of it comes down to prestige as opposed to academic excelence (the latter which 99% of the institutions mentioned have).

I think its important to realise the difference between the two...Prestige i feel can be influenced by anything from alumni sucess to mentions in movies.

In other words, in my opinion, prestige sometimes just comes down to popularity...of which i think the US unis have an edge over Oxbridge...

For example compare Harvard to St Andrews...the gap is huge in terms of prestigue but thats not to say an IR grad from Harvard is hugely better than one from St A's... yet i think it woudl be very very hard to find somone who went to St A's instead of Harvard - but thats why prestigue counts!

Good post Shadey.

ReputationRep:
    Crap post Turdburger.

hehe for some reason that really amused me

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.