Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bournemouth University has to be one of the most diverse (seems like EU and international students outnumber the UK students). It's great because you get to learn about cultures from all over the world. The beach is supposed to be the best in the UK too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonyeka)
    1. Race shouldn't be relevant but it still is today so you saying that will change nothing. Maybe they want racial diversity so that there is little racism.
    2. Ethnic diversity is OPs own personal criterion so I don't understand what you're saying.
    3. Being of good character is obviously important. OP will undoubtedly befriend other races. Maybe they just want the option to befriend Africans too.
    4. Maybe OP just wants the opportunity to meet people that understand their culture. That doesn't make them racist. No where did OP indicate they only want friends from one race or believe that one race if above the other.

What two races are you if you don't mind me asking?
    1. What I'm saying is that I think it's racist to care about the makeup of ethnicities in a student body. People shouldn't care what race other people/students are and I think that will reduce racist discrimination generally. Also, more racial diversity does not mean less racism. I used to live in a country that was very racially diverse but people of each race would generally keep together and there was little integration and a bit of a racial hierarchy actually.

2. By students using 'ethnic diversity' as a criterion it only encourages positive discrimination by unis. Unis in places like London are naturally going to get a more ethnically diverse pool of applicants so a more ethnically diverse student body. Smaller unis in more homogenous locations should not be discriminated against through no fault of their own because some people use 'ethnic diversity' as a criterion for selecting a uni to apply to.

3. But why? Why do people want the option to befriend a person of x, y, z ethnicity? I think if a person is not racist then they don't give a toss because they recognise skin colour don't matter - there are great people within any race.

4. Race is not equivalent to culture. There is a great diversity of human experience amongst a single race.

To me OP just comes off as insecure because he feels he needs to be amongst plenty of other ethnic minorities to feel comfortable. And I think that's what is contributing to OP being a racist. Racists usually have an inner feeling of fear or discomfort associated with people a different race to themselves.

Edit: I'm half white, half oriental btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnat)
    1. What I'm saying is that I think it's racist to care about the makeup of ethnicities in a student body. People shouldn't care what race other people/students are and I think that will reduce racist discrimination generally. More racial diversity does not mean less racism. I used to live in a country that was very racially diverse but people of each race would generally keep together and there was little integration and a bit of a racial hierarchy actually.

2. By students using 'ethnic diversity' as a factor it only encourages positive discrimination by unis. Unis in places like London are naturally going to get a more ethnically diverse pool of applicants so a more ethnically diverse student body. Smaller unis in more homogenous locations should not be discriminated against through no fault of their own because some people use 'ethnic diversity' as a criterion for selecting a uni to apply to.

3. But why? Why do people want the option to befriend a person of x, y, z ethnicity? I think if a person is not racist then they don't give a toss because they recognise skin colour don't matter - there are great people within any race.

4. Race is not equivalent to culture. There is a great diversity of human experience amongst a single race.

To me OP just comes off as insecure because he feels he needs to be amongst plenty of other ethnic minorities to feel comfortable. And I think that's what is contributing to OP being a racist. Racists usually have an inner feeling of fear or discomfort associated with people a different race to themselves.

Edit: I'm half white, half oriental btw
    1. I don't believe that to be racist at all. Especially as OP is an ethnic minority - it's not like they said they wanted to be surrounded by mostly Africans. They just said they didn't want to be the only one. More racial diversity does not always equal less racism - true. But in my experience in the UK it does.

2. Racial diversity is not OPs sole criterion, it's just one of them. Unis get discriminated against for loads of different things anyway. People may want a uni that's not in the city that has all its facilities in one area. By the same stretch you could say it's not a unis fault that it is located in the city. London universities could therefore be discriminated against.

3. I think the real question is why wouldn't you? You can meet people of many different races and perhaps learn a bit about their culture.

4. True but for example west African countries share foods, music and mostly the same values. For the most part they are quite similar. But of course their individual cultures are still diverse.

ReputationRep:
    Only speaking from personal experience here, but: SOAS. Not just race-wise but nationalities as well. I was definitely in the minority as a white British person in the History taster lecture, which was nice.

On the other hand, when I went to the Durham open day everyone was very pasty.

ReputationRep:
    Any university in London...

ReputationRep:
    Student room is a scary place

ReputationRep:
    Bristol? ive firmed there and i swear its quite the opposite of diverse??
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I wonder what abuse a user would be getting if they were white and asked the same thing?

Most unis however are pretty diverse. Obviously ones in big cities will be more diverse by their very nature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    I wonder what abuse a user would be getting if they were white and asked the same thing?
    You mean, less than 98% non-white and without an egregious history of violence and discrimination toward white people? Yeah, that's pretty unreasonable. Why would any white person feel the need for that, especially in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    did it really *need* to be mentioned in order to make the obvious assumption? seriously?

err, what country do we live in, again?
    see, this is where you're making it clear that ideology trumps reality to you. you're willing to ignore the facts.

I'm sorry (well not really) but if I said "hey guys I want to go to a uni where there are fewer *insert race here* - where can I find it? it's my sole criterion for selecting a uni" then you'd call me a racist. in their case, they said "I want 'racial diversity'" but do you think that means more or less white people?

no, they want less white people. come off it. we all know what "diversity" means. also, I thought we should judge people by race any more? not since the wisdom of MLK
    are for the record, they wanted "racial diversity" - where are you pulling this "cultural" diversity from? culture =/= race
    Oh for God's sake stop making everything about white people. OP said they would like more ethnic minorities, and you've manipulated it into less white people, and it's clear that this is not what they meant. They simply want a wide range of ethnic backgrounds, this means a more or less equal ratio of asians, africans, indians, pakistanis, and white people (as opposed to some predominantly white populated universities). Stop digging for controversy when there clearly is none.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham is good for that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aishadee)
    Hi, I'm about to choose the universities that I go to, and one of the criteria that I'm using is the diversity at each university. As a person of ethnic minority (British African), I feel as though it's important for me to find a university where I would fit in perfectly

. Which universities would you guys recommend in terms of high diversity?
    London obviously. 60% of London is non-white, so you'd blend right into the background.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Camilli)
    You mean, less than 98% non-white and without an egregious history of violence and discrimination toward white people? Yeah, that's pretty unreasonable. Why would any white person feel the need for that, especially in the UK?

I don't see why anyone needs the need for it. Why would anyone pick a uni based on the skin colour of the people who go there? Whether they are White, black or brown? You can be blue with yellow spots for all I care, as I don't care what someone's skin colour is. The OP and yourself clearly do. To pick a uni this way is racist, end of.

Plus it's not the current generation of white people's fault what happened in the past so I don't buy that argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mercuryman)
    Though you do kinda have a point, OP didn't say she wanted to go to a uni specifically for british africans. She just wants to go to a university that's diverse (which is not racist at all).
    Although slim for some there still can be a culture divide between white and black people, not racism just different foods and upbringing and backgrounds in some cases. Therefore, its totally understandable to want to go to a university that is more diverse so not to feel isolated.
    There are some universities in the uk where ive known people to say that they were one of the very few black people (just due to demographic placement). Even if all the friends you make are white, it can still make one feel a bit uninvolved being a minority

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LillyB14)
    Although slim for some there still can be a culture divide between white and black people, not racism just different foods and upbringing and backgrounds in some cases. Therefore, its totally understandable to want to go to a university that is more diverse so not to feel isolated.
    There are some universities in the uk where ive known people to say that they were one of the very few black people (just due to demographic placement). Even if all the friends you make are white, it can still make one feel a bit uninvolved being a minority

Posted from TSR Mobile

Valid point. Agreed

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.