The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _b_e_n_)
    Yay a new thread for us hey everyone

I'm Ben, I like video games, guitar, skateboarding, movies, and golf.
    I'm taking twelve GCSEs.
    Triple science, History, Geography, French, etc, all AQA except Maths (Edexcel) and French (WJEC.)
    Really worried about the new GCSEs and already stressing about year 11.
    Fav subject is chemistry. Orrrr maybe history. Not sure.
    NO idea what i want to do in the future.

Will try and stay active here.
    I guess I'm already stressing for y11 too, just walking past WHSmith and seeing the 'Back to school' range terrifies me.. but I'm ready for it

What video games?

ReputationRep:
    Because I did pretty badly in the mocks... Also the teachers have been stressing us about the new GCSEs, they're really hard apparently..
    Don't be disheartened! I'm sure with work that you can pull everything back. They are harder, but remember, they're harder for everyone, which means that the grade boundaries will be lower, so don't worry too much. You still have a while to prepare, and a while until you actually do your final exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caseynh)
    Hi I'm Casey I've got a bit of a range of hobbies and interests, but they mainly lie in psychology and physics/astronomy/aerospace. I've been to a smallpiece course in the past regarding aerospace and I also attended SSUK at the beginning of this summer which was an amazing experience - I'm going for seniors next year. I'm doing an internship at 7cups with is 8 weeks long and am currently on the 5th week. I generally like helping and volunteering, as my internship + my volunteering takes up about 14/15 hours a week currently (my internship is 10 hours pw).

- English & english lit (AQA), maths(edexcel), computer science (self-study, OCR), triple science (AQA), DT (AQA), German (Edexcel), History (OCR)

- Hell yes I'm ready for GCSE's. Bring it on :P

- I don't have a favourite subject. I'm into everything, really, and it can change a lot.

- I used to be very focused on going somewhere in the realms of physics/astronomy/astrophysics or engineering in that area, but through doing my internship I've discovered that I'm actually an incredible listener and have already been acknowledged by their appreciation team for my incredible reviews and ratings. The fact that I've been able to change people's lives has meant a great deal, which is why I'm now inbetween the two. My A-Levels will be something along the lines of maths, physics, dt/engineering and psychology.
    Hi Casey!

I see you're very enthusiastic, that will definitely work in your favour! That does sound like a sensible combination for aerospace engineering, mainly the Physics and Maths, and I bid you well in studying them and getting into the course/uni of your dreams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Hi Casey!

I see you're very enthusiastic, that will definitely work in your favour! That does sound like a sensible combination for aerospace engineering, mainly the Physics and Maths, and I bid you well in studying them and getting into the course/uni of your dreams!
    Yes I am! I'm a very "future" kind of person - sorry if that doesn't make any sense, but all I can think about is what I want to do and it all means a great deal to me.

I've got a good idea of what I'm doing about uni, but my biggest problem is sixth form right now. I live in greater London and I'm going to be sending out applications for state school sixth forms in central London this Autumn, but as it's quite competitive, I feel so incredibly stuck with my options right now. I definately don't want to stay at my school right now even though it's quite high-performing. Ugh struggles.

Note: What I meant about the competitiveness was that I moved from Sweden to the UK a couple of years ago and received some very bad predictive grades overall as I struggled a lot. That's why I feel like it would be impossible for me to have a realistic chance.

ReputationRep:
    My humble introduction:
    Hello, there! I'm @buzzyambee
    I am interested in science (particularly biology) and the world of veterinary medicine. My favourite pass time is horse riding - especially when it comes to dressage. I also enjoy singing, acting and cross-country running.
    I'm taking 10 full GCSEs:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Mathematics (AQA)
    English Language (Edexcel)
    English Literature (Edexcel)
    Triple Science (OCR 21st Century)
    - Biology
    - Chemistry
    - Physics
    French (Edexcel)
    History (Edexcel)
    Music (AQA)
    Drama (OCR)
    To be quite honest, I don't think there will ever be a time where people will feel 100% ready for year 11 so I'm just going to take it as it is. But there's no lying, I'm nervous af
    My favourite subjects are biology, chemistry, drama and french. I find biology and chemistry very interesting and satisfying because I love how it all works - solving problems and finding new discoveries. I really enjoy drama too, especially as I have a great teacher, and french I find very easy as I'm half french!
    My absolute goal is to become a vet - what I've wanted to be ever since I was tiny! I really enjoyed my work experience at a veterinary hospital (which I've been invited back to for two weeks), especially watching surgery and how the vets and nurses worked together to solve problems for the sick animals.
    For A-Levels, I'm definitely taking biology and chemistry. I'd also like to take French and considering psychology or drama.

Good luck everyone for year 11!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzyambee)
    My humble introduction:
    Hello, there! I'm @buzzyambee
    I am interested in science (particularly biology) and the world of veterinary medicine. My favourite pass time is horse riding - especially when it comes to dressage. I also enjoy singing, acting and cross-country running.
    I'm taking 10 full GCSEs:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Mathematics (AQA)
    English Language (Edexcel)
    English Literature (Edexcel)
    Triple Science (OCR 21st Century)
    - Biology
    - Chemistry
    - Physics
    French (Edexcel)
    History (Edexcel)
    Music (AQA)
    Drama (OCR)
    To be quite honest, I don't think there will ever be a time where people will feel 100% ready for year 11 so I'm just going to take it as it is. But there's no lying, I'm nervous af
    My favourite subjects are biology, chemistry, drama and french. I find biology and chemistry very interesting and satisfying because I love how it all works - solving problems and finding new discoveries. I really enjoy drama too, especially as I have a great teacher, and french I find very easy as I'm half french!
    My absolute goal is to become a vet - what I've wanted to be ever since I was tiny! I really enjoyed my work experience at a veterinary hospital (which I've been invited back to for two weeks), especially watching surgery and how the vets and nurses worked together to solve problems for the sick animals.
    For A-Levels, I'm definitely taking biology and chemistry. I'd also like to take French and considering psychology or drama.

Good luck everyone for year 11!!
    Hello buzzyambee!

Good luck with your GCSEs! I'm sure you'll do well!

ReputationRep:
    JTran38 Thank you! Im new to TSR and never saw your reply.
    Its nice to see someone intrested in Politics like me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cxesar)
    JTran38 Thank you! Im new to TSR and never saw your reply.
    Its nice to see someone intrested in Politics like me
    Did you introduce yourself? Anyways, I've been a bit busy lately so I might have forgotten lol. Yeah, I'm very interested in politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itsemziexoxo)
    Is anyone else doing the English speaking exam when you go back? I have it in the first week we go back and wondering how everyone's preparing for it.

Dreading all the coursework from September- December. I have to finish my geography, all three sciences, history and French writing.
    What coursework are you doing for Geography?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTran38)
    Did you introduce yourself? Anyways, I've been a bit busy lately so I might have forgotten lol. Yeah, I'm very interested in politics.
    Acctually, no i haven`t. Ive also been busy... contemplating how im gonna get through the year.

ReputationRep:
    Acctually, no i haven`t. Ive also been busy... contemplating how im gonna get through the year.
    Yeah, I'm also nervous as well but I'm sure we'll get through it in the end with the best grades possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Don't be disheartened! I'm sure with work that you can pull everything back. They are harder, but remember, they're harder for everyone, which means that the grade boundaries will be lower, so don't worry too much. You still have a while to prepare, and a while until you actually do your final exams!
    Thanks for the kind words, it really helped I think I'm going to start going over some of the last year's content just to be extra ready (especially for maths)

(Original post by caseynh)
    I guess I'm already stressing for y11 too, just walking past WHSmith and seeing the 'Back to school' range terrifies me.. but I'm ready for it

What video games?
    I love RPGs especially, so my favourites are Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim & Oblivion But I do like a good shooter sometimes so I also love Halo and Battlefield. Big fan of Tomb Raider, Mass Effect, Life is Strange, Rocket League, The Sims.... the list goes on. I like a really wide range of genres.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the kind words, it really helped I think I'm going to start going over some of the last year's content just to be extra ready (especially for maths)

I love RPGs especially, so my favourites are Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim & Oblivion But I do like a good shooter sometimes so I also love Halo and Battlefield. Big fan of Tomb Raider, Mass Effect, Life is Strange, Rocket League, The Sims.... the list goes on. I like a really wide range of genres.
    That's great dude! I have a similar taste in games to you!

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully:colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What coursework are you doing for Geography?
    I'm doing changes in a river as you move downstream wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Very different.
    Im doing coastal defences.

ReputationRep:
    Our geography coursework is about the effects of tourism, we went to blackpool and did surveys and stuff

ReputationRep:
    Thats dope.
    We went to a place called swanage (amazing scenery) and did one of coastal defences.

ReputationRep:
    Thats dope.
    We went to a place called swanage (amazing scenery) and did one of coastal defences.
    Our geography coursework is about the effects of tourism, we went to blackpool and did surveys and stuff
    You guys are lucky compared to me, our geography coursework is trying to determine whether the little town we went to fits the core frame model. So bring

Anyway what exam boards are u guys taking for geography?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenapplepear)
    You guys are lucky compared to me, our geography coursework is trying to determine whether the little town we went to fits the core frame model. So bring

Anyway what exam boards are u guys taking for geography?
    i think its AQA geography A

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.