The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Warning about LSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gambino98
Is this true for Rugby then? I'm not mint but I'd like to get involved with sport at Uni, but everyone I speak to about uni sport (not LSE though) say it's very high level, so I dont want to embarrass myself

The rugby team has playing members and social members. Turn up for training and give it a go.
Yes, last year the LSE 1st XV was the strongest team in their League and won promotion but they start the season in a whole new League and new teams so nobody knows how things will turn out. Also all of last year's 3rd players will have moved on.
You will definitely enjoy being part of the rugby set up.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
LSE is ....... what it is ...... LSE
Studying & living in London is ....... what it is ....... London

LSE will never be as fun and meaningful as Oxbridge or Durham, just to quote some of the more collegial universities.
Living in London, studying in London, is very different. Depressing for some and rejuvenating for others.

LSE & London is not for everyone.
If some things matter to you much more than LSE & London,
and you are not the type who can make LSE & London work FOR you,
then you will be much better off somewhere else because you will probably do much better there, in every aspect,
than the horrible time you will probably have at LSE & London.

Decide before you commence, not upon graduation when you can only wish you have done otherwise.
Original post by GandalfWhite
LSE is ....... what it is ...... LSE
Studying & living in London is ....... what it is ....... London

LSE will never be as fun and meaningful as Oxbridge or Durham, just to quote some of the more collegial universities.
Living in London, studying in London, is very different. Depressing for some and rejuvenating for others.

LSE & London is not for everyone.
If some things matter to you much more than LSE & London,
and you are not the type who can make LSE & London work FOR you,
then you will be much better off somewhere else because you will probably do much better there, in every aspect,
than the horrible time you will probably have at LSE & London.

Decide before you commence, not upon graduation when you can only wish you have done otherwise.

durham? in what way is durham more meaningful than LSE

hahaha
Collegiate experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 144
I'm currently taking a 2nd gap year and my current grades are A*BB in Mathematics, Economics and Chemistry. I am retaking Economics and Chemistry and I'm predicted A*A*A in Maths, Economics and Chemistry or 3A*s. I am planning to apply for LSE Management and I have 9As and 2Bs at GCSE. Along with a strong personal statement do you think I have a shot ?
Reply 145
So I have found this awful thread from what sounds like a bunch of people feeling sorry for themselves. No, the LSE isn't for everyone, so that's why you have this view.

Firstly, as a postgrad here, I can't comment on the Bachelor level life. I studied mine at the University of Surrey in Guildford, a campus site with the most nurturing, incredible university experience I could have asked for. Falling short of 50p per living expenses per day compared to London Universities, it was a hard to live there; Surrey is the UK's second most expensive region after London. But, I was recommended to continue my studies after working in journalism by my colleagues, editors and my old lecturers who I look up to at Surrey.

I feel so ashamed of someone speaking of another race in such a dividing way. The "chinese" deserve more respect than you have offered them in this thread. Fact: the LSE, any society you've commented on and the lecturers at the LSE do too. It is a shame that your university experience is this; but it sounds like you came here for the complete wrong reasons. You obviously impressed the LSE enough to be granted a place, but you came here for a quick rooted, and not to mention, cheat's way into your industry. My experience of the LSE, undergrad and Post-grad, I've been lucky enough not to meet someone looking for the "easy way" in. That is why you probably do not enjoy it; and have turned to blaming everything around you apart from tacking constructive action in making your situation better or your circumstances positive.

You can continue your final year at any other university, I met dozens of people at Surrey who integrated in during my second, third and fourth year at undergrad level. You can make the change if it's such a dire situation, but it isn't; and as you have stated, the LSE name is more important to you than learning how to better yourself in totality.

LSE may feel like you go to work, but I take it you have had little real life-work experience? hmm. I feel your complaint is just dissatisfaction you can help. There is no such thing as a "less smart" uni, and LSE doesn't get you that investment banker's position or that BBC correspondent stint. LSE is designed to challenge and rear you into understanding how the world works in your field, and how your personality matters the most.

A lot of you complaining, sound like you just suffer from a bad personality which would rather nag than just be grateful for the fact you get to have an education! By all means, do more for yourself. But do not complain about an entire educational body, when it could just be you. You get pushed here, but you are rewarded greatly for it. I hope you change your mindset and energy toward the lasting months of your studies. It's a stupid and false sense of pride you get complaining. The lecturers are some of the most supportive people I have met in my life, and the Chinese? I'm on a dual-masters which sees me in Shanghai's Fudan University next year. The mandarin lessons are tricky but my GOD are the Chinese friends I've made here some of the most helpful and selfless humans I have ever met. You have a perspective to see things in; whether you construct it and change your attitude is up to you.

Your view is very very personal and not representative of the majority of the LSE. I am the only home-student and "Londoner" on my course. It feels like an international hub in class most days but that's the great thing about being in London. At Surrey, in Guildford, it was so small-town. There were a lot of "privileged" students who, if on a night out, ran out of money, would use their "family credit card" for bottles and tables. People wore designer clothes everyday. People could NOT hold a discussion about current news affairs in the country let alone political opinions. It is rare to feel part of something "bigger" at a lot of county-universities. At the LSE at least you can be part of something bigger.

And hey, if you're still at LSE and would like to talk in person fee free. You sound like you could use a friend.. or someone who would lend you and ear at least. I'm in Monday-Friday.
Reply 146
Perhaps you should look for "university experience" in the league tables over universities which can "one shot you" to a career. There is no way my career would have developed in the way it has if I stayed at Surrey for my Postgrad, but my campus like was incredible and fun there while it lasted.
Reply 147
That's really sad to hear! For people out there who now have doubts about applying to LSE you can check out Unibudy and see what others are saying. I am pretty sure different people have different experiences. Good luck with your applications! I've been there myself!
I declined my LSE offer a few years ago. And I regretted it for longest time (still do). But I have heard how unhealthily competitive it is. And I did notice on my offer holders day that every single helper was Chinese. Native Chinese people tend to keep to their own groups anyway, but it probs seems more cliquey at LSE because of the overwhelming number of Chinese internationals.

As a Chinese person born in the UK, I can attest to the fact that many people who come from China are hold troubling racist views, and thus are reluctant to mingle with others.

The people didn't strike me as friendly. Part of me is glad I avoided LSE, but at the same time I know people who loved the uni.
Original post by JohnGreek
Actually most Asian people here are from HK, Singapore or Malaysia, but sure.

The HKers who attended international schools tend to more open to mixing with others. But I have noticed it even at my own uni, that people from China tend to stick to their own groups. Just my observation and the observation of many.
Actually most Asian people here are from HK, Singapore or Malaysia, but sure.

If you look at this table, the number of students from China is almost the same as all three of those countries combined. So yeah, "but sure".

http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/LSEServices/planningUnit/informationManagementAndStatistics/pdf/TableI.pdf
Original post by KT942
Again I don't really want to make it too obvious that its me posting this cause I did kick up a fuss over it but put it this way, never borrow your laptop to someone when your halfway through you're internship application

I can't believe they did that! It's people like that who make the world a much unfriendlier place.

I'm just so disgusted with people in general nowadays. I have people in school who constantly hound me to see my personal statement, but who wouldn't ever let me see theirs. And they are so intrusive that they would even ask my friends to reveal the things I've written!
Definitely go to the offer holders and open days to get a feel for yourself, people are much more likely to post negative things online than they are positive. Whilst I haven't made any good friends yet (partly to do with me I suspect!) there are some great people here, regardless of their nationality.

Granted, many of the foreign students do tend to stick to their cliques, but so do home students as it's what they know. I know some great Chinese people and people from Malaysia and Singapore that are more than happy to mix with other people, as well as other nationalities that don't stick together. I'm a UK student and most of my friends here are Pakistani actually, so many people are more than willing to mix!

As I've stated many times, LSE isn't for everyone and is certainly a case of you get out of it what you put into it, but from what I've seen (not being the most outgoing and sociable person) people here in general are very nice. There are a few bad eggs, as there are everywhere, and some people who like to keep to themselves, but you'll be able to find people to chat to if you're willing to say hi! :smile:
China - 204

HK - 288
Singapore - 234
Malaysia - 269

You do realise that I was referring to undergrads, right? No one hangs out with postgrads on a regular basis.

No I wasn't aware you were referring to only UG, since it wasn't stated. LSE is a predominately PG uni. I looked at both figures. It still stands that most Asians hail from China.
Original post by sbede
So I have found this awful thread from what sounds like a bunch of people feeling sorry for themselves. No, the LSE isn't for everyone, so that's why you have this view.

Firstly, as a postgrad here, I can't comment on the Bachelor level life. I studied mine at the University of Surrey in Guildford, a campus site with the most nurturing, incredible university experience I could have asked for. Falling short of 50p per living expenses per day compared to London Universities, it was a hard to live there; Surrey is the UK's second most expensive region after London. But, I was recommended to continue my studies after working in journalism by my colleagues, editors and my old lecturers who I look up to at Surrey.

I feel so ashamed of someone speaking of another race in such a dividing way. The "chinese" deserve more respect than you have offered them in this thread. Fact: the LSE, any society you've commented on and the lecturers at the LSE do too. It is a shame that your university experience is this; but it sounds like you came here for the complete wrong reasons. You obviously impressed the LSE enough to be granted a place, but you came here for a quick rooted, and not to mention, cheat's way into your industry. My experience of the LSE, undergrad and Post-grad, I've been lucky enough not to meet someone looking for the "easy way" in. That is why you probably do not enjoy it; and have turned to blaming everything around you apart from tacking constructive action in making your situation better or your circumstances positive.

You can continue your final year at any other university, I met dozens of people at Surrey who integrated in during my second, third and fourth year at undergrad level. You can make the change if it's such a dire situation, but it isn't; and as you have stated, the LSE name is more important to you than learning how to better yourself in totality.

LSE may feel like you go to work, but I take it you have had little real life-work experience? hmm. I feel your complaint is just dissatisfaction you can help. There is no such thing as a "less smart" uni, and LSE doesn't get you that investment banker's position or that BBC correspondent stint. LSE is designed to challenge and rear you into understanding how the world works in your field, and how your personality matters the most.

A lot of you complaining, sound like you just suffer from a bad personality which would rather nag than just be grateful for the fact you get to have an education! By all means, do more for yourself. But do not complain about an entire educational body, when it could just be you. You get pushed here, but you are rewarded greatly for it. I hope you change your mindset and energy toward the lasting months of your studies. It's a stupid and false sense of pride you get complaining. The lecturers are some of the most supportive people I have met in my life, and the Chinese? I'm on a dual-masters which sees me in Shanghai's Fudan University next year. The mandarin lessons are tricky but my GOD are the Chinese friends I've made here some of the most helpful and selfless humans I have ever met. You have a perspective to see things in; whether you construct it and change your attitude is up to you.

Your view is very very personal and not representative of the majority of the LSE. I am the only home-student and "Londoner" on my course. It feels like an international hub in class most days but that's the great thing about being in London. At Surrey, in Guildford, it was so small-town. There were a lot of "privileged" students who, if on a night out, ran out of money, would use their "family credit card" for bottles and tables. People wore designer clothes everyday. People could NOT hold a discussion about current news affairs in the country let alone political opinions. It is rare to feel part of something "bigger" at a lot of county-universities. At the LSE at least you can be part of something bigger.

And hey, if you're still at LSE and would like to talk in person fee free. You sound like you could use a friend.. or someone who would lend you and ear at least. I'm in Monday-Friday.

I'm a Sixth Former who has just read through this absolute farce of a thread. Just wanted to say thanks for your opinion because it was the only post I found which wasn't negative about something in some way. I have applied to the LSE and if I'm lucky enough to get a place, I'll be sure as hell to make the most of it.
You're not the only one with this opinion mate, I remember watching this vid on LSE a few years ago.

[video]https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwimsqzoodHQAhVGLsAKHdF KABMQtwIIHTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.co m%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DqneKSsLP0q4&usg=AFQjCNHkdEmrFSIsW9kW-RGteveOQFvacQ&sig2=BRKCFgjQFQfDgxqooJvRUg[/video]
It seems like you're writing this out when you're stressed!? I'm from LSE too and this is my third year. Although, it's not that I 100% in love with the uni. But at least it is not as bad as you make it sounds. I don't know about your social life, cus tbh I am not a social person, pretty introverted one indeed. So can't really make a judgement on this. However, I find the fact that you said the lecturers are awful is a bit unfair. I've met many good lecturers and teachers. Especially, if you do make use of office hour then you will realised how helpful they can be. For the workload, i admit it's a lot, but isn't that what you should expect from a prestigious university like LSE !? Maybe your third year will be better, cus normally people tend to have more free time in their third year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
r u still at LSE
Warwick is a ***hole with a lot of depressed students. I had trouble living in a university in the middle of nowhere, with annoying flatmates and literally nothing to do. I hated my uni experience until I moved out of the halls to rent my own place. I made myself happier by joining a sports team and entertaining myself, I swear there's nothing to gain from people who are either useless, moody or mentally ill. F*** them.
okay this has made me worried about firming LSE, even though ill probably end up being a banking fanatic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending