Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know how anyone can eat meat :-( Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by UWS)
    Meh, I just eat the meat without thinking about it.

Even when I do think about it, I love eating it! Yes I'm a cold hearted *******. I forgot my mum's birthday one year.
    You monster!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FightToWin)
    Firstly, I have felt guilt eating meat over the last couple of years through stumbling over slaughterhouse videos etc.. That much is true. But I'm the skinniest person I know and need my protein.
    It's a myth that you can only get protein from meat, you can get it from beans, lentils, vegetables, etc.

Also if you're skinny and want to grow then you don't really need an insane amount of protein, you need a steady amount which prob wont exceed 100g. What you really need is calories.

ReputationRep:
    I just like my steaks too much...

ReputationRep:
    I'm a vegetarian for ethical reasons and I don't like to see animals be harmed but this is my personal opinion! I hold no judgement against anyone who does and I don't care to be honest! It's my decision and I understand why, we are omnivores, we can eat meat like any other omnivore. People like the taste and it gives sustenance.. It's the food chain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moira O' Hara1)
    I've been raised to be a pescetarian. Most people ask me what that means, and when I say "I only eat fish and everything else that a vegetarian eats" they're like "you're still killing fish, you're as bad as we are".

NO. Let me tell you that fish wouldn't understand what was going on if they were going to be killed so they wouldn't suffer, unlike pigs which are one of the smartest animals and can recognise pain. So now tell me whether killing fish is as bad as killing on-land animals.
    Over the years I have fully understood why my parents "opted out":

-The living conditions of chickens are extreme- 25,000 to a small shed where they they have no personal space, living in their own ****.
    - Mac Donalds-sorry to moan but I hate fast-food places- is one of the main reasons as to why our rainforests our suffering, trees are cut down to make way for cattle, which will be used for beef. Why do we have Climate Change? WELL the cattles emit methane which is bad for the environment, and chopping down trees releases CO2.
    - Not only is MacDonalds bad for the environment, but is also made up of processed food which is extrememly bad for our body- it increases the chances of health risks
    - if you don't eat on-land animals you will increase your life length, be healthier and decrease the risks of getting diseases and health problems
    - If you eat steak, you will be most likely put off by this- it takes 4 days for your body to process steak that means it stays in your gut for 4 days which is going to damage your body and give you health risks.

I'm sorry to rant but I'm fed up with people complaining at me for being a Pescetarian, they are the ones who are going to suffer because they don't fully understand the risks with this. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to eat differently but I want my opinion to be heard and not neglected- this is serious and some people do not understand what they are getting themselves into.
    I'm sorry but you cant say that fish don't suffer. Most fish are gutted alive or suffocate to death. Fishing also has massive environmental impacts whether through farming, netting etc. But as I said in a previous post no industry perfect and improvements could be made everywhere. For example the rainforest is being cut down to grow oil for Galaxy chocolate.
    Also research into whether vegetarians live longer is currently uncertain and shows more research is definitely needed.

(Original post by otah007)
    I have no problem eating meat - however I have a problem with how it's done. One of the much overlooked benefits of being a Muslim (which I am) is that I have 100% certainty that until the animals are slaughtered, they are kept in the most humane environment possible. For example, animals must be free-range. They cannot be slaughtered in front of other animals. They must be fed and sheltered humanely (no mad cow disease from cow-cannibalism). They must be killed with a single stroke to the jugular, making it a painless death. They cannot be stunned (electrocution, how is this legal?), shot, or bludgeoned.

Unfortunately, it's the people doing the killing that are to blame, not the act of eating the meat itself.
    Okay, so slitting the throat of animals is the most effective way of killing sheep, this cannot be denied as I said in my other post the blood vessels in sheep means its rendered dead almost instantly. This is not the most effective way of killing cattle and cattle killed in this way have a slow and painful death and their vessels run differently to a sheep. Stunning is used because the animal is rendered unconcious instantly so the animal cannot feel any pain what so ever and doesn't know what is happening, you question why its legal. Its legal because its the least cruel method of killing the animal as they cannot feel anything. I refuse to buy non-stunned meat because of this.

ReputationRep:
    The "we evolved eating meat" argument is so invalid. Eating meat thousands of years ago was necessary for survival, nowadays it's simply due to greed and because it's the social norm. Meat production, whilst causing the suffering of billions of animals is also crippling the planet and contributing to world hunger, if the whole world adopted a western diet we would need a planet three times the size of earth to facilitate the production of meat necessary to feed everyone. Also despite what macdobalds have told you animals in slaughter houses are not humanely killed. They're starved and transported in cramped, hot conditions and arrive exhausted barely able to stand. They're branded on the face to idicate what they're going for and forced into the kill chamber where a bolt gun shoots them in the head. This often doesn't kill them and they're then dragged away to be butchered whilst still alive. Pigs and chickens normally have it even worse as they're kept in much worse conditions than cows when reared. Meat, no matter which way you look at it is evil.

ReputationRep:
    How vulgar of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0range)
    It's a myth that you can only get protein from meat, you can get it from beans, lentils, vegetables, etc.

Also if you're skinny and want to grow then you don't really need an insane amount of protein, you need a steady amount which prob wont exceed 100g. What you really need is calories.
    Meh, that was just my reason at the time. Besides, I've been trying for the last 19 years to stop being skinny, and it ain't been happening. I'm doomed to be a beanpole for the rest of my life, might as well accept it.

On the plus side, if I ever get chased by a fat person I might be able to squeeze through a tiny gap and escape and turn back to laugh at them getting stuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    H
    You mentioned prices, today in asda and I'm only going by what I saw today, my carton of rice milk was £1.29 and a carton of semi-skimmed 6pt milk was £1.30. Also Flora original is £1.70 and the vegan alternative flora is also £1.70. The prices really don't vary, I was surprised by that also because I assumed vegan things cost a lot more, they actually do not.
    That's because you bought a carton (probably containing 1L and not a bottle). You can go to Iceland and get 6 pints for £1.29. Butter is actually a good option for avoiding animal product.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    You don't kill animals by drinking milk or eating eggs. I don't see how they are related to the slaughterhouses that disgust you. You may not be able to call yourself a "true vegan" if you eat them, but is it really the goal?
    Because most cows are milked in factories and most chickens are made to produce an overwhelming amount of eggs.

Also ofcourse there are battery chickens, I may buy only free range but how to I know the eggs in my chocolate cake didn't come from a factory chicken farm?

ReputationRep:
    I think the truth of the matter is veganism isn't really going to become a trend or anything at the moment, most likely certainly not in our lifetimes anyways. A possible reason for this it that to be honest, there are bigger issues that require our attention, like poverty for instance. OP, do you truly feel as if veganism is the biggest crisis out there at the moment, if not shouldn't you be trying to raise awareness for something else?

ReputationRep:
    Because most cows are milked in factories and most chickens are made to produce an overwhelming amount of eggs.

Also ofcourse there are battery chickens, I may buy only free range but how to I know the eggs in my chocolate cake didn't come from a factory chicken farm?
    Bake the cake yourself. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince_fancybum)
    The "we evolved eating meat" argument is so invalid. Eating meat thousands of years ago was necessary for survival, nowadays it's simply due to greed and because it's the social norm. Meat production, whilst causing the suffering of billions of animals is also crippling the planet and contributing to world hunger, if the whole world adopted a western diet we would need a planet three times the size of earth to facilitate the production of meat necessary to feed everyone.
    The main problem I see is not about the western diet, but the huge amount of food that we waste.

Apparently, one third of the food produced in the world is not eaten: http://www.fao.org/docrep/014/mb060e/mb060e00.pdf

ReputationRep:

So because you don't like the reality you'll cut off your nose to spite your face? The cows have already been bred to produce more milk and are and will continue to be treatedas such. Throwing a tantrum over it will hardly help.

A life is a life.
    Is an insect's life as valuable as a human?

I don't think life is innately valuable, speciesism is definitely the solution to the ethical dilemma of eating meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    So because you don't like the reality you'll cut off your nose to spite your face? The cows have already been bred to produce more milk and are and will continue to be treatedas such. Throwing a tantrum over it will hardly help.
    Is voluntary self-sacrifice for the sake of the wellbeing of others seen as a bad thing these days or something?
    People have principles, get over it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    We evolved by eating meat, and it's only little attention seekers like yourself who've come along recently and made the whole vegetarian/vegan bull**** rife. No offence to you, I respect your decision, but I personally couldn't care less about the animal - I like meat, I will eat meat.
    /thread

We're done here folks.

ReputationRep:
    attempted vegan but failed many times due to not being able to resist a cup of tea or coffee
    Tea and coffee are not vegan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BirdIsWord)
    /thread

We're done here folks.
    Thanks wise boss man, glad to see you have all that wrapped up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    You don't kill animals by drinking milk or eating eggs. I don't see how they are related to the slaughterhouses that disgust you. You may not be able to call yourself a "true vegan" if you eat them, but is it really the goal?
    Male calves are slaughtered extremely young as they don't produce milk, the females then are milked up to 70 litres a day, often having infected udders that go untreated. Egg production is much worse, at 1 day old all the male chicks are crushed alive as it's the cheapest way to kill them. Battery farming is illegal in EU but caged hens aren't, and I can tell you that the state they're kept in is almost as terrible, I've got a few ex-caged hens and when they arrived they were all bald and dehydrated, with absolutely no muscle mass whatsoever. They're kept for 18 months whilst they're at peak laying ability and then go for slaughter. Free range hens aren't roaming merely in fields either but are kept in slightly better conditions, but are still subject to torture like beak cutting and are still killed at 18 months. So you most definitely are supporting their killing by consuming eggs and diary.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.