Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I think I saw it on the news on one of the American sky channels but did you know that there is a current trend in America of people leaving the obstetrics branch of medicine. This is because insurance to protect them if they are sued has got so high. Apparently if you are working in this field and something goes wronge with a Birth you are very likely to get sued. This is one aspect of America that I don't like. That a doctor can try and save your life and still get sued for it. In fact I don't like the idea of sueing at all and I hate the fact that this trend is now moving over to the UK.
    We have lawyers like John Edwards to thank for that. His biggest accomplishment appears to have been destroying the obstetrics profession by peddling his emotional junk science to gullible juries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I don't think one is better than the other it jsut depends. If you have a good job then the quality of life will probably be better in the USA, however if you're poor you're probably better of living the UK.

What do you think?

France is best.

ReputationRep:
    but everyone hates the french..... and remember france would be gremany if not for the UK and the US.... so go back to blowing up nukes in the ocean and selling arms and nuclear material to Iraq.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcspence)
    so go back to blowing up nukes in the ocean and selling arms and nuclear material to Iraq.....
    FYI, I don’t find the above remark insulting because I’m not actually French.

ReputationRep:
    as for medical care.... i have a friend in sweden, 24 years ago his mother was put on a list for knee surgery... last month she got a notice that she was still on the list..... so much for state medicine.
    While the US is not perfect, ANYONE can get medical care. every county has a public hospital, they will bill you, but you get service first.

and if someone could correct me, i know it is true in canada and sweden, but the state medical system will not do anything to prolong your life after a certain age, will only work to make you comfortable? that is love...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    FYI, I don’t find the above remark insulting because I’m not actually French.
    good cause i was beginning to like you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcspence)
    good cause i was beginning to like you...

ReputationRep:
    Having lived in both places, I can say the UK wins by a mile!The education system, although not perfect, is much better, the British are more open minded, and it's just a far more cohesive country in general.

-Becs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad_infinitum87)
    Having lived in both places, I can say the UK wins by a mile!The education system, although not perfect, is much better, the British are more open minded, and it's just a far more cohesive country in general.

-Becs
    Quite a statement, brings us back to another thread (Do you hate americans? thread) how can you judge us all without having met us all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Quite a statement, brings us back to another thread (Do you hate americans? thread) how can you judge us all without having met us all?
    The person concerned did not say all British people are more open minded than all Americans. I know sometimes comments like the above are not exactly things to say but you can sometimes generalise without actually meaning to over do it. For example, many people would agree that Ireland are less open minded than the British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    The person concerned did not say all British people are more open minded than all Americans. I know sometimes comments like the above are not exactly things to say but you can sometimes generalise without actually meaning to over do it. For example, many people would agree that Ireland are less open minded than the British.
    I agree, but the part "The British" suggested to me she was referring to the brits as a whole. Perhaps i was mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    Dont be so ridiculously pedantic. Different nationalities do have different traits and what hes said (if gained from personal experience) is quite legitimate.

ReputationRep:
    How can anyone speak on anything ever, if you have to have first hand experience of everything and everyone to have an opinion?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please just give a brief overview of the American medical system? How it's run, how it's financed, what the options are if you can't afford insurance etc? It seems as though many people are making judgements on something they don't know a lot about.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'll clarify what I said. From what I have observed, Britain is miles ahead of America in terms of basic human rights.

I guess I'm slightly biased because of the god awful time I had in the States. My father died because the medical treatment he received was inadequate. Yes, we had Medical insurance up to our eyeballs, but it remains a fact that had he been treated in Europe, he would have survived. I was also beaten up and laughed at due to my English accent (what a wonderful thing to experience on a new continent, far away from home, at age 10!), and my family was looked down on for being mixed race. I have never EVER been questioned about my racial identity in the UK, in fact it's so common here that I'm one of a multitude, and I slipped right in. I'm sorry, but I hate how everyone is compartmentalised in the States. On forms, one is forced to identify as either black, white, or asian. There is no option whatsoever for the multiracial, and my parents were HASSLED when they refused to sign the form. The Pledge of Allegiance is BRAINWASHING, and when I refused to say it, I was given a detention. On one occasion, I was sent out of the class for correctly stating that Greenland belongs to Denmark. My teacher insisted it was American territory, and made me stand in the hallway for speaking my mind.

I don't mean to offend anyone, and I certainly don't despise America in any way, shape, or form (in fact my best friend is from Chicago), but I believe very strongly that Britain is a more forward looking country. Trust me, I can look objectively as well, because I'm not even an English national.

-Becs

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'll clarify what I said. From what I have observed, Britain is miles ahead of America in terms of basic human rights.

I guess I'm slightly biased because of the god awful time I had in the States. My father died because the medical treatment he received was inadequate. Yes, we had Medical insurance up to our eyeballs, but it remains a fact that had he been treated in Europe, he would have survived. I was also beaten up and laughed at due to my English accent (what a wonderful thing to experience on a new continent, far away from home, at age 10!), and my family was looked down on for being mixed race. I have never EVER been questioned about my racial identity in the UK, in fact it's so common here that I'm one of a multitude, and I slipped right in. I'm sorry, but I hate how everyone is compartmentalised in the States. On forms, one is forced to identify as either black, white, or asian. There is no option whatsoever for the multiracial, and my parents were HASSLED when they refused to sign the form. The Pledge of Allegiance is BRAINWASHING, and when I refused to say it, I was given a detention. On one occasion, I was sent out of the class for correctly stating that Greenland belongs to Denmark. My teacher insisted it was American territory, and made me stand in the hallway for speaking my mind.
    That sounds pretty extreme

I don't mean to offend anyone, and I certainly don't despise America in any way, shape, or form (in fact my best friend is from Chicago), but I believe very strongly that Britain is a more forward looking country. Trust me, I can look objectively as well, because I'm not even an English national.

-Becs
    Id be quite impressed if you were an English national.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Id be quite impressed if you were an English national.
    And you were on about Padfoot90 being overly pedantic?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I love living in the UK

I love visiting the USA

ReputationRep:
    Heat of the moment. It's a subject I tend to get rather worked up about.

-Becs

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.