if there was an election tomorow

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    There's nothing remotely well-thought out about any of his policy. It's just student union nonsense that's popped into his head over the last 40 years. There is utterly no plan whatsoever to pay for free university. If there were a realistic option on this, the Tories or New Labour would have done it and hauled in a ton of votes.

His foreign policies are non-existent. Leave NATO? Where's the thought? Unilateral disarmament? Pacifism?

Arms trade is an extension of foreign policy, and a surrogate for defence. You might not like it, but this is the reality of the global stage. You either pull these people in and try and be matey with them, or you have to accept that they're you enemies. Want to be enemies with Saudi Arabia? Don't you think we have enough problems?
    Please tell me the policies that you think this way about? The party who believes forcing austerity on the ordinary person and let the bankers off Scott free would introduce free university? It is possible, look at Scotland for one example. Unilateral disarmament is something this country has already agreed to, it just hasn't happened yet unfortunately.

You think that allowing the murder of thousands of innocent people is just an "extension of foreign policy"? You think the UK should just bow down to any country committing war crimes as long as they have a healthy bank account? Do you value human rights at all? We don't have to continue selling them weapons to continue being "matey", isn't this type of action the reason we go to wars in the first place? Or do we only go to war if it benefits us financially rather than to fight for the human rights of people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slaw92)
    I personally haven't seen his appearances on Iranian TV so I could not possibly comment on that considering I don't know why he was there or who he appeared with. I take what I read about Corbyn with a pinch of salt, no conspiracy here, there is good hard evidence to support my choice, so I cant take the word of a paper on this issue. I need to see it with my own eyes.

I haven't seen the letter he wrote so I'm not sure of the context. Saying he defended them makes it sound like Jeremy himself, believes Jews are responsible for 9/11 which if that were the case, like I have said previously, would be mainstream knowledge by now.

Jeremy has on occasions used the wrong words when describing some questionable people. Even he has admitted that. It is more his way of trying to keep the peace and keep an open dialogue though rather than some sort of praise for their actions.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-1JUztMcg9A

There, you can see it with your own eyes. He's adorable in this - I just love the cuddly way in which he responds to someone calling the BBC 'Zionist liars' by thanking them for their call.

And why would he present a phone-in show for a despotic regime which executes gay people? Firstly, because they paid him up to £20 grand for it, and secondly, because in his twisted worldview, Press TV is less biased than Western TV channels.

ReputationRep:
    All I've seen is examples of Jeremy doing what he openly admits is his first response to resolving conflict, trying to open up a dialogue in order to try and come up with a political solution, this is surely the best way to go about things rather than war. The guardian article even states in it, they do not believe he has a anti-semitic bone in his body, he has been an MP for over 30 years, if there was anything substantial to use regarding his views it would be common knowledge by now. Politicians and world leaders are forever having meetings with dictators and questionable characters, it does not mean they share the same beliefs.
    I haven't seen him make a point of reaching out to Zionists and representatives of Israel. Have you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-1JUztMcg9A

There, you can see it with your own eyes. He's adorable in this - I just love the cuddly way in which he responds to someone calling the BBC 'Zionist liars' by thanking them for their call.

And why would he present a phone-in show for a despotic regime which executes gay people? Firstly, because they paid him up to £20 grand for it, and secondly, because in his twisted worldview, Press TV is less biased than Western TV channels.
    Well thank you for providing the link. The way the TV show and his appearance was described it was painting a picture of a show full of "propaganda" and Jeremy making "questionable" comments, neither of which are true are they? It was simply Jeremy hosting a show, getting pieces of reporting from reporters who seemed to be in very dangerous positions and taking phone calls, I can now see why this hasn't really been used much to discredit Jeremy, there is nothing to it.

As for the fact that he "thanked them for the call" when the caller made that remark, he was doing what alot of presenters' do, swiftly "moving on". You see it all the time on "mainstream" phone ins if there is a "colourful" caller, they thank them and hang up quick. So again, nothing there. Now have you got evidence for his apparent comment that he made regarding this channel being less biased? Or was that just personal opinion?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen him make a point of reaching out to Zionists and representatives of Israel. Have you?
    Jeremy has said there is no place for racism or anti-Semitism in the party. It is a small minority that are or have done this. It is disgusting and Jeremy agrees that it is. Why is he being blamed for the anti-Semitism? It was going on before he was leader. There was a shooter in the United States not long ago, who was a Hilary Clinton supporter, is it her fault he killed people? You can't pin the actions of others onto other people, if there are those who are anti-Semite's, they are anti-Semite's regardless of whether Jeremy is leader or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donkey******)
    Green.

Theresa May needs a trip to Switzerland, Corbyn hasn't got half the back bone he promised us, the Lib Dems really are the chocolate tea pot party, and let's not get started on UKIP, we know what they are, they serve no purpose but appeasing that racist bloke down the pub who keeps talking to you but you really wish he'd stop breathing on you.

The Greens aren't ideal by any stretch, but I disagree with less of what they stand for than the rest of them.
    (Original post by 2016_GCSE)
    Well,
    Labour is in a mess.
    Unsure about the changes to UKIP / Conservative.
    Green seems like a cool party.
    Lib Dems seem out of place.

So I vote Green.
    Green isn't going to win; it's a complete waste of a vote. It's either Conservative or Labour.

ReputationRep:
    I would still vote for the Conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    I dont like T. May or some of her educational policies so tories are out.
    I didnt mind corbyn but on hindsight hes a bit of a plonker. At least he has learnt how to use a tie.
    I dont know much about the libdems
    I wouldnt vote for the cymrag or snp because im english.
    Majority of the others nobodys heard of.
    It must be either green party or i wouldnt vote at all

ReputationRep:
    Jeremy has said there is no place for racism or anti-Semitism in the party. It is a small minority that are or have done this...
    Answer the question please.

ReputationRep:
    Labour in a desperate attempt to oust the tories, maybe now that attempt no. (I have no idea I've lost count) to oust Corbyn is over, the rest will try and make the best of a bad situation to try and function as a party again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admonit)
    Answer the question please.
    He has been the leader again for about two minutes. Give him some time, preferably a few weeks at the least, before bashing him for something he hasn't done. The man is quite busy just now.

Also, even if he does reach out, say there is still on-going remarks after said meeting, what then? Will Jeremy stop receiving the blame for this small group of idiots? Of Corse he won't, he would be used as the scapegoat yet again. I think Jeremy is doing the right thing so far by trying to eradicate the problem before reaching out with false hope that the problem is finished.

ReputationRep:
    Jeremy has said there is no place for racism or anti-Semitism in the party. It is a small minority that are or have done this. It is disgusting and Jeremy agrees that it is. Why is he being blamed for the anti-Semitism? It was going on before he was leader. There was a shooter in the United States not long ago, who was a Hilary Clinton supporter, is it her fault he killed people? You can't pin the actions of others onto other people, if there are those who are anti-Semite's, they are anti-Semite's regardless of whether Jeremy is leader or not.
    You know what I'd just love?

An answer to my question.

ReputationRep:
    Well thank you for providing the link. The way the TV show and his appearance was described it was painting a picture of a show full of "propaganda" and Jeremy making "questionable" comments, neither of which are true are they? It was simply Jeremy hosting a show, getting pieces of reporting from reporters who seemed to be in very dangerous positions and taking phone calls, I can now see why this hasn't really been used much to discredit Jeremy, there is nothing to it.

As for the fact that he "thanked them for the call" when the caller made that remark, he was doing what alot of presenters' do, swiftly "moving on". You see it all the time on "mainstream" phone ins if there is a "colourful" caller, they thank them and hang up quick. So again, nothing there. Now have you got evidence for his apparent comment that he made regarding this channel being less biased? Or was that just personal opinion?
    Tell me, what do you think it shows for a man to take money to appear on the state television broadcaster of a regime which horrifically oppresses women and kills gay people?

Unless, of course, you think he was so desperate for a television career that he went to all the other broadcasters first and eventually had to settle with a chat show owned by a totalitarian state. That should answer your question.

ReputationRep:
    He has been the leader again for about two minutes. Give him some time, preferably a few weeks at the least, before bashing him for something he hasn't done. The man is quite busy just now.

Also, even if he does reach out, say there is still on-going remarks after said meeting, what then? Will Jeremy stop receiving the blame for this small group of idiots? Of Corse he won't, he would be used as the scapegoat yet again. I think Jeremy is doing the right thing so far by trying to eradicate the problem before reaching out with false hope that the problem is finished.
    Has he, in his 30+ year career in politics, ever pointedly reached out to a controversial Zionist or even any normal representative of Israel in the name of peaceful dialogue?

You've been asked, now, three times to answer the question. By more than one person.

Why don't you answer it?

PS Is it just me imagining things - hasn't he had more than a few weeks to prove himself? Maybe I don't pay enough attention, but wasn't someone called Corbyn elected to the leadership, umm, last year?

ReputationRep:
    Tell me, what do you think it shows for a man to take money to appear on the state television broadcaster of a regime which horrifically oppresses women and kills gay people?

Unless, of course, you think he was so desperate for a television career that he went to all the other broadcasters first and eventually had to settle with a chat show owned by a totalitarian state. That should answer your question.
    Like I said I saw no propaganda on that show he was on, I seen no problem with the show. I don't believe a man who values human rights as much as he did would go on a show that supports what you say. The program actually seemed vey balanced and sensible to me.

What do you think of a government who supports, funds and deals with a regime which horrifically oppresses women, kills gay people, commits war crimes? Are we going to pretend appearing on a TV show is worse than selling these regimes the weapons that do the killing? Then block any UN enquiries into it?

ReputationRep:
    Has he, in his 30+ year career in politics, ever pointedly reached out to a controversial Zionist or even any normal representative of Israel in the name of peaceful dialogue?

You've been asked, now, three times to answer the question. By more than one person.

Why don't you answer it?

PS Is it just me imagining things - hasn't he had more than a few weeks to prove himself? Maybe I don't pay enough attention, but wasn't someone called Corbyn elected to the leadership, umm, last year?
    I have answered it. I don't know everything he has done in his career, do you? He certainly was and, like I've said, sanctioned a report in the aim of eradicating the anti-Semitism. Would you care to answer the questions put to you now?

ReputationRep:
    Like I said I saw no propaganda on that show he was on, I seen no problem with the show. I don't believe a man who values human rights as much as he did would go on a show that supports what you say. The program actually seemed vey balanced and sensible to me.

What do you think of a government who supports, funds and deals with a regime which horrifically oppresses women, kills gay people, commits war crimes? Are we going to pretend appearing on a TV show is worse than selling these regimes the weapons that do the killing? Then block any UN enquiries into it?
    This is total whataboutery. Stop changing the subject. Address the issue.

Fact: Between 2009 and 2012, Jeremy Corbyn received about £20,000 to produce a TV show for imaFilm ltd, a production company which produces television programmes for Press TV and is registered at the same address as Press TV. These programmes were then shown on Press TV.

Fact: At the time Jeremy Corbyn was making these programmes, Press TV had been banned by Ofcom. It had broadcast a forced confession - through torture - of Maziar Bahari, a NewsWeek journalist and democracy campaigner. Here is what Maziar had to say: People who present programmes for Press TV and get paid for it should be really ashamed of themselves — especially if they call themselves liberals and people who are interested in human rights.

Fact: Press TV is wholly owned by the Iranian state, a regime which oppresses women and executes gay men.

Fact: Jeremy Corbyn has said the £20,000 he took was 'not an enormous amount, actually'.

Please. Defend the man. I look forward to your response. But please, don't change the subject.

ReputationRep:
    This is total whataboutery. Stop changing the subject. Address the issue.

Fact: Between 2009 and 2012, Jeremy Corbyn received about £20,000 to produce a TV show for imaFilm ltd, a production company which produces television programmes for Press TV and is registered at the same address as Press TV. These programmes were then shown on Press TV.

Fact: At the time Jeremy Corbyn was making these programmes, Press TV had been banned by Ofcom. It had broadcast a forced confession - through torture - of Maziar Bahari, a NewsWeek journalist and democracy campaigner. Here is what Maziar had to say: People who present programmes for Press TV and get paid for it should be really ashamed of themselves — especially if they call themselves liberals and people who are interested in human rights.

Fact: Press TV is wholly owned by the Iranian state, a regime which oppresses women and executes gay men.

Fact: Jeremy Corbyn has said the £20,000 he took was 'not an enormous amount, actually'.

Please. Defend the man. I look forward to your response. But please, don't change the subject.
    Totally unrelated, but wandering which side of the fence you were on re Brexit and also your views on Theresa May?

ReputationRep:
    I have answered it. I don't know everything he has done in his career, do you? He certainly was and, like I've said, sanctioned a report in the aim of eradicating the anti-Semitism. Would you care to answer the questions put to you now?
    I'll tell you: no, he hasn't. For all his talk of wanting peaceful dialogue and invitations to representatives of Hamas and Hezbollah, Jeremy Corbyn has not once in his career made a pointed attempt at inviting an equally controversial - or even just average - Zionist to talk with him. Not once.

And the report into anti-Semitism? Not independent at all as Chakrabati immediately joined the party. And then guess what? Jeremy 'I will not appoint any more Labour peers' Corbyn then puts forward exactly one person in Cameron's resignation honours list: a certain S. Chakrabati. And as for the report itself, it seemly cannot mention the specific allegation of antisemitism without subsuming it into a larger issue of racism and then fobbing it off, and seems to use the Labour Party's history of anti-racist policy positions to clear it of present-day racism towards Jew. Needless to say, no Jewish institution or advocacy group has endorsed it in any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Totally unrelated, but wandering which side of the fence you were on re Brexit and also your views on Theresa May?
    Both illiberal phenomena. The first I didn't vote for, and the second I will have to hold my nose before voting for.

Edit: Well, actually, that's not quite true. I will relish the opportunity to vote for her party again, but only because the other parties are so disgustingly awful. Had there been some other decent parties around, I'd have to hold my nose, though. She is, essentially, an interventionist in the proper 'conservative' sense. I think she will have great appeal to those economically left-wing 'left behind' voters, but if she turns into a powerful electoral force - which I think she will - she will destroy the Conservatives as a liberal force for decades.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.