Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I imagine that caused confusion on the honeymoon when she asked you to put your thong on
    or to take it off....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    this is like D+D all over again
    ye, worth posting on, as opposed to spam and chat, which disappears in a matter of hours..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Commando-man me.
    What do you call a Frenchman wearing sandals?

Phillipe Filop.

*chuckle*
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    But again I'm struggling to see why such things would be 'irritating'. Would that sort of thing be irritating because it would be like doing down their own nationality (yours) in favour of another, thus making out you and your nationality to be somehow inferior? I'm fishing here, but its the only rationalisation I can think of.
    I think it would be irritating in the same sort of way as if your friends/people around you all turned into ali g clones - people trying to be/pretending to be/acting like something they're not...the language usage is just one part of it (but on a thread about language the most likely to be mentioned)

ReputationRep:
    But again I'm struggling to see why such things would be 'irritating'. Would that sort of thing be irritating because it would be like doing down their own nationality (yours) in favour of another, thus making out you and your nationality to be somehow inferior? I'm fishing here, but its the only rationalisation I can think of.
    What can be irritating/awkward is when someone says a word wrong, or pronounces it differently do you then say it differently of say it the way they do. My friend who lives in Saudi always says it Sawdee when I call it the way most brits do and I never know which way to say it. or when someone makes a malapropism do you correct them, make the same mistake yourself or contine to say it correctly.
    One of my mum's client always says liquidisation when it should be liquidation and she always feels really awkward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)

Phillipe Filop.

*chuckle*
    brilliant gimp :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)

Phillipe Filop.

*chuckle*
    *chuckle*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    ye, worth posting on, as opposed to spam and chat, which disappears in a matter of hours..
    ooh come on vienna, even you can chill back on a lovely sunny day such as this, with a cocktail in one hand, trashy novel in the other and participate in a bit of utterly pointless chit-chat.

ReputationRep:
    This talk of language reminds me of an amusing story, which I won't tell as no one else will find it amusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I think it would be irritating in the same sort of way as if your friends/people around you all turned into ali g clones - people trying to be/pretending to be/acting like something they're not...the language usage is just one part of it (but on a thread about language the most likely to be mentioned)
    because americans fake it? suggestions of inferiority is anti-americanism and from my understanding of forum policy, deletable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    ooh come on vienna, even you can chill back on a lovely sunny day such as this, with a cocktail in one hand, trashy novel in the other and participate in a bit of utterly pointless chit-chat.
    show me the way.

ReputationRep:
    oooh thought of fantastic american guy story, right i was on the train and this american guy was listening to music really loud, the whole carriage could hear him anyway someone asked him to turn it down and he did but only a tiny bit asked him again glares does it again but only a tiny bit so this old english bloke in a suit took out a pair of scissors and cut the headphone cord Brilliant no?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by vienna95)
    because americans fake it? suggestions of inferiority is anti-americanism and from my understanding of forum policy, deletable.
    No - please don't put words in my mouth, if you don't understand my meaning then ask me to clarify before accusing me of anti americanism.

English people (specifically teenagers) using ass instead of arse are "faking it" to appear more american (and therefore "cool"), just as ali g using terms like "staines massive" is faking something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    oooh thought of fantastic american guy story, right i was on the train and this american guy was listening to music really loud, the whole carriage could hear him anyway someone asked him to turn it down and he did but only a tiny bit asked him again glares does it again but only a tiny bit so this old english bloke in a suit took out a pair of scissors and cut the headphone cord Brilliant no?
    wow incredible.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant. Sounds so typically British. No American person would do that. It would be such an outrage. In such situations, British people always seem to manage to keep cool where, someone else would end up arguing...
    I would still be pissed off getting my headphone cord cut.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, I've been annoyed when people continue to pronounce words or names incorrectly after they've been corrected, for whatever reason - maybe they think they are still right, don't want to appear foolish, or are just daft.

I've always tended to try to correct people, unless it wouldn't be appropriate to do so. Often people are resentful though, its like they think you are saying, "look dumbo, you're saying it wrong".
    But do you ever have an those awkward situations where it's someone who is more important than you so can't correct and you just feel really embarrased.
    The same guy also once said-"Once you have an MBA the word is your lobster"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Brilliant. Sounds so typically British. No American person would do that. It would be such an outrage. In such situations, British people always seem to manage to keep cool where, someone else would end up arguing...
    I would still be pissed off getting my headphone cord cut.
    so destroying property is better then arguing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    so destroying property is better then arguing?
    oh come on its an amusing story lets not moan about property destruction

ReputationRep:
    oh come on its an amusing story lets not moan about property destruction
    i was just kidding
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Is the intention to appear more American though, or just trying to appear somehow funky and different, which coincidentally happens to include using Americanisms?
    That I don't know...but *trying* to appear funky and different*** I find irritating as well

***NB I don't find people who are genuinly funky and different irritating - I do find people who try to hard and pretend to be someone they're not irritating.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.