What do girls nowadays look for in a guy?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Gotta get in on the first page and post some funny **** :lol: You can do it

I had something clown-related happen to me tonight, decided to make a thread about it if you're interested http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post67979208
    I've noticed that I get repped a lot easier when I'm thinking about it :rofl: A stupid comment on the accidental penetration (lol) thread, for the instance, got me more reps than I ever expected :rofl: (Okay, now I actually sound like a rep whore)

Shameless self promotion. You remind me of someone else on TSR right now :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Knowing more than one language is a bonus, for me anyway.
    Does knowing 4 give you multiple orgasms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhaenys10)
    I've noticed that I get repped a lot easier when I'm thinking about it :rofl: A stupid comment on the accidental penetration (lol) thread, for the instance, got me more reps than I ever expected :rofl: (Okay, now I actually sound like a rep whore)

Shameless self promotion. You remind me of someone else on TSR right now :rofl:
    Yeah, sometimes I'm just in a funny mood and I get on a role :lol: A lot of the time it's just one post that gets repped the **** out of.

Ano

ReputationRep:
    unfortunately looks is most important to girls.

money usually doesn't matter that much to girls.
    well i'm not too sure about that actually as i notice most black women who show interest tend to give the spanish inquisition regarding your employment....

what's that all about?
    gold digging? ...or did kanye get it right..

personality matters far less than girls tend to claim.

The hot girls you sometimes see with unattractive guys didn't meet them on Tinder or pof [where girls are the most focused on looks], they didn't meet them at the club/bar either...they met through work/school or friends of friends ....and the guy just eventually "grew" on them. It wasn't that he has some kind of "extraordinary" personality.

I will honestly admit that looks matters a fair amount to me when choosing a partner, but even in the past I have found myself sometimes seriously considering one or two girls in my social group who were not really on my radar when I initially met them. It wasn't their personalities that did it either, ...simply after a lot of exposure they sorta "grew" on me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    I got a first in my bachelors and a distinction on my master's.

Wanna ****?

Yeh ok even tho u didn't ask me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Precious Illusions)
    I hope you're not really that lacking in confidence. I don't know you but I've seen your pics and you're good looking at least :dontknow:
    Not lacking in confidence. I base my opinions on what I see, and what I see is that no girl could ever like me. Tough pill to swallow, but it is what it is. Being alone ain't so bad either.

(Original post by ANM775)
    unfortunately looks is most important to girls.
    Would it be fair to say looks that looks become less important as they age, and later on in life they tend to look more for stability, confidence, a good career etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Girls here always go for the guys with shocking personalities but who look good :/
    Therefore thats all they care about around here!
    Are you saying that because they're not "going" for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    There must be something I'm doing wrong
    or..... The above lists are incomplete. Or I'm completely oblivious to any one liking me which is also plausible, or they think I'm gay as I have a fair few platonic friends that are girls. Who knows

I guess it'll be the weight even tho I'm told "Nah"
    Weight & Height?

ReputationRep:
    DT skillz

MEG

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritSharD)

Would it be fair to say looks that looks become less important as they age, and later on in life they tend to look more for stability, confidence, a good career etc?

In theory yes.

but you are probably going to be looking at 30+ women before any of this kicks in.

apparently women start to get less picky around age 30 if they are still left on the shelf. I guess this could be due to a combination of factors such as decreased market value [their prime is now behind them .. and younger women are generally more popular] , reduced chances to meet partners [lots of friends will be married or coupled up now and it's generally harder to gather the "girls" for a night out], also biological clock is now really ticking [at age 35 women experience a large drop in fertility]

however having said this, i cannot verify it for myself with personal experience as i don't often go for women my age [30ish] anymore ...as i've always found it is usually women who are a great deal younger than me that are the ones who seem open to me and girls my own age were never really that interested. Probably this is due to the fact I look a lot younger than my age.

Regarding the whole "personality" is king myth that you often see on forums. I have approached a lot of women and what I find is that personality only sometimes seems to have effect on outcome with girls who are below you in looks. I have become quite good reading people having approached so much and within the first few seconds of approaching a girl I can tell weather it has any potential to go anywhere. First I rate her attraction to me out of 5. If I do not feel she is attracted to me atleast a 4 ...then I find it never goes anywhere If she is 7 or above in looks. It doesn't matter how well I get on with her, or make her laugh, or similar interests or life experiences ...etc

when cold approaching personality seems to have no effect on outcome if the girl is 7 or above imo.

with average or below average girls sometimes [but definitely not always]personality can effect outcome. Like I have noticed sometimes having approached below average girls and these girls were attracted to me 3 or less initially and after some talking things progressed and I got a phone number or something

Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't like cold approaching anymore tbh.
    On a night out I will look at girls, their body language, what they are wearing and then ask myself. Is this girl looking like she is open to meeting guys tonight?

If the answer is no then next basically.

If I am not sure or think yes then I will often try and walk into her eyesight and make eye contact with her. The way she is looking at you tells you a lot of information. I can normally gauge her attraction from this, and if she is 7 or above and I am not sensing she is attracted to me 4 out of 5 stars then I do not bother. If she is below average or average and i'm sensing she is attracted to me 3 stars or above I may consider approaching depending on my current mood.

I went on a night out last week [first time in 4 or 5 mths] and 3 girls randomly smiled on me. I approached 2 of these girls but as soon as I got there they tried to get rid of me. I am not sure what that was all about? ..why smile at a guy on a night out if you're not open to him ...,
    however I believe approaching girls who give you signals rather than just randomly cold approaching is the best way to go as you're more likely to come across a good prospect. I dunno, perhaps the girls who smiled at me last week had bf's. I have noticed in the past a couple of girls smile at me and her bf is right there [but looking another way], tbh ...i think when a girl smiles at you on a night out all it is ..is an indication she finds you physically attractive, and not necessarily an indication that she wants anything to progress between you.

ReputationRep:
    I look for an athletic body, dark hair and a defined jaw. Big hands are a plus too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    ^^^
    Truthful answers
    Is it just looks because it seems that way
    Personality means nothing around where i live
    You dont have the looks, you just get laughed at in the street
    So what do girls actually look for in a guy nowadays?
    Ideally (because life isn't always what you expect and nobody is perfect) I'd look for someone like this.

Personality traits:

Caring
    Self-sufficent
    Understanding
    Loyal
    Reliable
    Fun
    Kind

Physical traits (not a requirement but a preference)

Taller than me (6ft+)
    Dark hair
    Not skinny (not really into skinny men) but not overweight either. Just someone healthy who looks after himself

Other traits (main):

A man with a job he enjoys/or a student with ambitions and the drive to achieve them
    Healthy (non-smoker, exercises regularly)
    Adventurous (not afraid of change)

ReputationRep:
    Comb over
    Skinny jeans
    Zero body hair
    Occasional make up and painted finger nails
    Clothes from River Island

That's about it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    In theory yes.

but you are probably going to be looking at 30+ women before any of this kicks in.

apparently women start to get less picky around age 30 if they are still left on the shelf. I guess this could be due to a combination of factors such as decreased market value [their prime is now behind them .. and younger women are generally more popular] , reduced chances to meet partners [lots of friends will be married or coupled up now and it's generally harder to gather the "girls" for a night out], also biological clock is now really ticking [at age 35 women experience a large drop in fertility]

however having said this, i cannot verify it for myself with personal experience as i don't often go for women my age [30ish] anymore ...as i've always found it is usually women who are a great deal younger than me that are the ones who seem open to me and girls my own age were never really that interested. Probably this is due to the fact I look a lot younger than my age.

Regarding the whole "personality" is king myth that you often see on forums. I have approached a lot of women and what I find is that personality only sometimes seems to have effect on outcome with girls who are below you in looks. I have become quite good reading people having approached so much and within the first few seconds of approaching a girl I can tell weather it has any potential to go anywhere. First I rate her attraction to me out of 5. If I do not feel she is attracted to me atleast a 4 ...then I find it never goes anywhere If she is 7 or above in looks. It doesn't matter how well I get on with her, or make her laugh, or similar interests or life experiences ...etc

when cold approaching personality seems to have no effect on outcome if the girl is 7 or above imo.

with average or below average girls sometimes [but definitely not always]personality can effect outcome. Like I have noticed sometimes having approached below average girls and these girls were attracted to me 3 or less initially and after some talking things progressed and I got a phone number or something
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't like cold approaching anymore tbh.
    On a night out I will look at girls, their body language, what they are wearing and then ask myself. Is this girl looking like she is open to meeting guys tonight?

If the answer is no then next basically.

If I am not sure or think yes then I will often try and walk into her eyesight and make eye contact with her. The way she is looking at you tells you a lot of information. I can normally gauge her attraction from this, and if she is 7 or above and I am not sensing she is attracted to me 4 out of 5 stars then I do not bother. If she is below average or average and i'm sensing she is attracted to me 3 stars or above I may consider approaching depending on my current mood.

I went on a night out last week [first time in 4 or 5 mths] and 3 girls randomly smiled on me. I approached 2 of these girls but as soon as I got there they tried to get rid of me. I am not sure what that was all about? ..why smile at a guy on a night out if you're not open to him ...,
    however I believe approaching girls who give you signals rather than just randomly cold approaching is the best way to go as you're more likely to come across a good prospect. I dunno, perhaps the girls who smiled at me last week had bf's. I have noticed in the past a couple of girls smile at me and her bf is right there [but looking another way], tbh ...i think when a girl smiles at you on a night out all it is ..is an indication she finds you physically attractive, and not necessarily an indication that she wants anything to progress between you.
    Totally agree with being aware of eye contact and subtle cues instead of just approaching out of nowhere. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    I quoted you but then I deleted it
    Sup

ReputationRep:
    Sup
    I realised there was no point posting a video lol

Spoiler:
    Show
    Pff, they just fix stuff. We rule. Literally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    I realised there was no point posting a video lol
    Post it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhaenys10)
    It's not actually money that's the problem. It's what it says about a person. Like, I know you can be super hardworking and **** and still be poor, but a guy that sits on his ass all ****ing day, complains about his situation and doesn't wanna get a job isn't attractive at all.

See what I'm talking about?
    A guy could be filthy rich and be someone that sits on his ass all day, complaining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fr0sr_)
    Weight & Height?
    171cm and weight is "looks fat"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Nobody actually cares about abs tbh.
    Young girls tend to care more about looks/physique more, but
    more mature girls tend to look at a guy's career/interests/ambition
    as that's whats going to be paying the bills in the long run. :moon:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.