Turn on thread page Beta

This thread is filled with labour morons who like to sit at home and claim benefits. Yes, it is a lot of money but bankers work on average 80/90 hours weeks and they deserve way more than that. Practically half of what they earn is not theirs and its not fair. They shouldn't have to pay such an absurd level of tax. I say the top band should be 30-35%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Lots of jobs in my field (Software Engineering), nice weather, good sailing, skiing a reasonable drive away and (practically) free petrol (but Americans don't see it that way).

I already do, but my biggest charitable donation is tax. I will never use tax-funded services to anything like the value of the tax that I have paid. Anyone earning 'a lot' is supporting a lot of people at the lower end of the income scale.
    And why is that really a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    And why is that really a bad thing?
    I assume that you're referring to the tax comment. Paying a reasonable rate of tax on high earnings is not a bad thing - I was making the point that a lot of high earning employees do contribute to society. They're not all greedy and self-centered. The other point was that, in some areas, you need to earn a lot just to pay the rent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Do you work for a BigCo (ala Google, FB, Twitter etc) or Unicorn (ala Uber, Airbnb etc)?

If so what's the lifestyle like with your compensation (base+bonus+stock) in the bay area?
    I work for a major semiconductor manufacturer. I bought a house here 6 years ago - I took on more debt that I was comfortable with then, but am now in a position of having fixed housing costs at a relatively low level. The lifestyle is good - I am conscious of how much I spend, but I don't have to be. I'm about to start paying overseas fees for our first child, so that will have an impact.

Anyone that wants to work in this area has to research housing costs thoroughly. What seem like big salaries elsewhere don't go very far here.

The only major thing that I don't like is the new President

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samantham999)
    This thread is filled with labour morons who like to sit at home and claim benefits. Yes, it is a lot of money but bankers work on average 80/90 hours weeks and they deserve way more than that. Practically half of what they earn is not theirs and its not fair. They shouldn't have to pay such an absurd level of tax. I say the top band should be 30-35%.
    While I agree that a lot of the hate towards bankers is unnecessary, often spurned on by jealousy and fuelled by the propagandist media (right wing as well as left wing), you're making ludicrous generalisations when you claim that this thread is filled with labour idiots who are living off benefits!! Where did you get that cliched, simplistic idea from?

People are entitled to disagree with you and express constructively negative views about the banking industry if they want to. That's what healthy debate is all about. They shouldn't be ridiculed and called moronic. Nobody on here was being offensively negative about bankers...

ReputationRep:
    The banks are going to move to the EU soon anyway so they won't have to pay the British level of taxes any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    The banks are going to move to the EU soon anyway so they won't have to pay the British level of taxes any more.
    no they won't, it's really as simple as that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Is the BBC a left wing source to you too then?
    Yes of course, the BBC is known for its left wing bias in reporting...

ReputationRep:
    from personal experience, the problem with tax is this..........

You'll spend your 20s struggling to pay bills, and pay rent and then FINALLY after a lot of work you'll be in a position where you're a top rate tax payer, and you have some money to spend on the stuff you want...............and then you realize you have to give 40-45% of it to the government!

Most top rate taxpayers aren't privileged bankers. They're people who have worked, and struggled for 10 years, and have finally got to a position where they have a bit more money.

So is it fair to then punish them with really harsh taxes?

I'm earning £45k a year now, and have just started studying again part time. But trust me, I spent most of my 20s with no money at all.

And now I finally earn quite a lot of money, and I have to give half of it to the government.

Trust me, I was one of the "tax the rich" people, but it's not that straightforward. A lot of top rate taxpayers aren't rich. They're normal people being punished for their hard work

ReputationRep:
    If you earn £28k a year, you'll probably take home £1900 after tax

If you earn £40k a year, you'll probably take home £2500 after tax

You really do get punished. To the point it doesn't seem worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ceej95)
    If you earn £28k a year, you'll probably take home £1900 after tax

If you earn £40k a year, you'll probably take home £2500 after tax

You really do get punished. To the point it doesn't seem worth it
    Uh
    Might wanna take a look at those figures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Uh
    Might wanna take a look at those figures
    Monthly post tax figures

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.